Yingluck Asks Public To Set Temperature At 26 C To Help Conserve Energy

webfact

PM asks public to set temperature at 26 degrees Celsius to help conserve energy

BANGKOK, 5 April 2013 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has hosted an event promoting the reduction of energy usage by people in Thailand, to combat any potential energy deficiency.

At the event, Ms. Yingluck asked that everybody help to conserve energy by adhering to the Ministry of Energy’s three suggestions for power-saving. These include setting the air conditioner temperature at 26 degrees Celsius, unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm, and turning off any unnecessary lights.

With the 3 methods, the aim is to reduce power consumption by no less than 700 megawatts, thereby reducing usage of natural gas for electricity generation by 4.4 million cubic feet.

According to the prime minister, more electricity reserve will be sought even after the looming period of lowered output passes. She also asked the public to continue to conserve energy in order to reduce the demand for imported energy.

The prime minister also hopes that the public enjoys a safe and happy Songkran, while remaining conscious of energy-saving.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-05 footer_n.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not turn off the bloody ac ,go sit outside in the shade , make hot water and cook rice on gas or charcoal or go eat outside support the local restaurants

many ways to reduce power usage even with reducing the amount of water one uses less water gone saves power on hours of pumping it up

and with songkran would save allot if they limit the amount of giant p.a. systems you dont need 40.000 watt music power to listen to some music in a bar

• Like 1

unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm,

I know it is early in the day and I've only had one cup of coffee but if an electrical appliance is not in use how is it consuming electricty?

• Like 2

I know it is early in the day and I've only had one cup of coffee but if an electrical appliance is not in use how is it consuming electricty?

TVs, A/V units, microwave ovens, and many other things use electricity when "turned off" because they are not actually turned Off.

Thanks. I'm kinda slow the first hour or so. smile.png

How many TV's do you reckon there are on standby in Thailand? 22 million, according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562331-half-of-household-tvs-in-thailand-use-antennas-survey/

Whats 22 million x up to 15 watts - seems like a lot to me and then there's the microwaves, DVD's etc http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-chart.html

So she has a point.

• Like 2

nntlogo.jpg

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It doesn't change the fact, that aircon is still "switched on"

I've got a better advise for that woman,... Learn the difference between "switch on" and "switch off", c'mon man it easy, even a toddler can tell the differencecheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I know Barbie sucks, but that Proxyn clone, is exceeding any Barbie girl in no time cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If the country had a proper power grid ,she would'nt have to ask, for the life of me, it was only a decade ago that the Burma boarder was closed and mortar rounds were dropping into back yards in Mae Sai, now Burma are supplying Gas for power, trust is a two edge sword, none, in this area I would trust. Also on a note of security , now that everyone knows this Gas comes piped from Burma, so the Southern brethren also know .

'Yingluck as public to set temperature to 26 degrees to help conserve energy'

Public says "Sod off'

I'm sure as the example setter she is Yingluck keeps all the aircons at her home on 26c.

nntlogo.jpg

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It doesn't change the fact, that aircon is still "switched on"

I've got a better advise for that woman,... Learn the difference between "switch on" and "switch off", c'mon man it easy, even a toddler can tell the differencecheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I know Barbie sucks, but that Proxyn clone, is exceeding any Barbie girl in no time cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It depends a lot on the thermal efficiency of your home. If properly insulated and sealed, a higher setting will cause the compressor motor to run less often, saving energy. OTOH if your ceiling and walls are allowing larger amounts of heat to enter through them and the compressor runs almost continuously, it will make little difference, or none.

• Like 2

How many TV's do you reckon there are on standby in Thailand? 22 million, according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562331-half-of-household-tvs-in-thailand-use-antennas-survey/

Whats 22 million x up to 15 watts - seems like a lot to me and then there's the microwaves, DVD's etc http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-chart.html

So she has a point.

thats about 15000 kw without the microwaves etc

'Yingluck as public to set temperature to 26 degrees to help conserve energy'

Public says "Sod off'

I'm sure as the example setter she is Yingluck keeps all the aircons at her home on 26c.

My thoughts exactly. It has to be kept at about 21 otherwise her mascara, foundation and make up caked face will start to run if she gets too sweaty.

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

Might as well turn off the A/C altogether as to put it as high as 26c, that's almost 79F, WAY TOO HOT !

I believe this maybe a common threshold used in many countries. I recall being asked to set our thermostats to 78degF in the US when ever a similar situation occurred.

78deg with a fan actually works really well.

Its either that or +90deg with NO fan when the power goes out.

Up to you :)

in the old days, when you turn things off, it was "off".

Now days, when you turn thing off, its actually "asleep".

People dont want to wait for things to power up and finish its bootup period. So manufactures designed appliances to "sleep". In the "off" state, the clock may be still running, its in/out circuits are still on, waiting for you to use your remote. This may be called the "overhead" power, or the quiescent power for the system. This "overhead power" while its much less than the "on" power, still adds up to a lot of power draw, if you count the numbers.

Again, set your thermostats higher

use fans instead of AC where possible

turn off all unused lights

If everyone contributes, that should be enough to push off blackouts.

This is not that uncommon in other countries

as well as the belly-aching about it :)

If you're near my age, then you'll remember a time WITHOUT AC

be thankful for what you've got :D

Running a ceiling fan and 25 C is fine - we have been doing it for years and there is also a button on most remotes saying 'econcool'. Hit that and reduce the consumption to half. If the windows and doors are closed and the home thermally protected as Mick pints out, the fan on low speed moves the air easily and the place is way cooler than the external temperature. Too easy but then again, logic and commonsense like electricity in Thailand - is is short supply.

"PM asks public to set temperature at 26 degrees Celsius to help conserve energy"

Sorry, but if I have to set my AC to 26 degrees I will be using more energy as I always use 28-29 degrees. wink.png

Same here at night i turn it down more but 28 degrees is my daytime setting. Normally i don't use aircon but now its just hot so 28-29 is enough.

Good luck as most Thais I know like it ice cold and put the AC on the lowest temperature possible while I do not even use the AC. Anyhow it has always amazed me how afraid most Thais seem to be of the sun and the heat considering it's very sunny and hot in Thailand.

• Like 1

Might as well turn off the A/C altogether as to put it as high as 26c, that's almost 79F, WAY TOO HOT !

Haha. Mine's always on 27. Only in the afternoon though as we get direct sunlight then. Before noon, it's usually off.

Running a ceiling fan and 25 C is fine - we have been doing it for years and there is also a button on most remotes saying 'econcool'. Hit that and reduce the consumption to half. If the windows and doors are closed and the home thermally protected as Mick pints out, the fan on low speed moves the air easily and the place is way cooler than the external temperature. Too easy but then again, logic and commonsense like electricity in Thailand - is is short supply.

25 is cold. Econocool works by actually raising the resulting temperature by 2 degress, although produces the feeling of your set temperature. A normal setting of 26 really is an air con trying to reach 24. 26 in econo, sits at 26 (something around that).

You are right tho, tell people to hit that econo button and it will do even more.