Alcohol Ban On Bangla 12Th April

phuketjock

Picked up the PG today and read about the ban on sale of alcohol at various places on Phuket,

one of them being Bangla road including the beach road in Patong. Told my missus (Thai) she

immediately said "well whats the point of having Songkran then" Shrugged her shoulders and

said, to my surprise, "what is happening to Thailand?"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People can not have a good time without alcohol, what is the world coming too!!

why punish businesses,make bangla a no water throwing area. let them throw it elsewhere,you see,if you cannot drink in bangla,they will drink around the corner.

i've never understood in all the years i've been here how a government allows a celebration event that kills so many of it's own citizens. could you imagine in the UK, USA, Oz a new year where hundreds get killed, yet in Thailand a ceremony as in the water festival where a token amount of water is meant to be used, it's turned into death by water. blaming drink on the culture of the water abuse is a typical Thai response, of coarse it plays a part, but little kids throwing ice cold water is a parental guidance matter, education and the police playing a bigger part would be a good start, can't remember reading if anyone has ever been convicted with killing someone by water over the songkran days, coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Should be up to the individual.

The individual cannot be trusted, rules must be made and not enforced!

LOL! Seems to be that way, especially here.

why punish businesses,make bangla a no water throwing area. let them throw it elsewhere,you see,if you cannot drink in bangla,they will drink around the corner.

Is it not possible to have a drink elsewhere then go to Bangla road? This water festival is way over the top, people can not throw a little bit of water they have to throw lots which is ice cold and in a lot of cases full of ice cubes, the most dangerous thing is to throw this ice water with ice cubes into the faces of passing motorcyclists!! This festival should only be allowed in closed off roads and away from people wanting to travel about safely using there cars or motor bikes! there are to many irresponsible people participating in this festival which makes it very dangerous, if there were designated closed roads for this I would certainly be going and having fun! as it is I will be staying at home until it is all finished!! driving in Thailand is dangerous enough without having this ridiculous over the top water festival adding to the danger!! Edited by dogpoo

Told my missus (Thai) she immediately said "well whats the point of having Songkran then" Shrugged her shoulders and said, to my surprise, "what is happening to Thailand?"

Don't take this the wrong way, but where did you meet your wife?

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

In your working years where you civil servants?

Only people with a mind like yours would like to take away any fun that there is in life.

Don't do this, do not ! do that and if you have to do it it let it be controlled by the authorities..... yeez man a lot of us are in Thailand just to get away from this kind of thinking !

You don't like Songran well stay inside, it's only 1 day per bloody year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i've never understood in all the years i've been here how a government allows a celebration event that kills so many of it's own citizens. could you imagine in the UK, USA, Oz a new year where hundreds get killed, yet in Thailand a ceremony as in the water festival where a token amount of water is meant to be used, it's turned into death by water. blaming drink on the culture of the water abuse is a typical Thai response, of coarse it plays a part, but little kids throwing ice cold water is a parental guidance matter, education and the police playing a bigger part would be a good start, can't remember reading if anyone has ever been convicted with killing someone by water over the songkran days, coffee1.gif

"i've never understood in all the years i've been here how a government allows a celebration event that kills so many of it's own citizens."

tradition that go out of hand

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

Only people with a mind like yours would like to take away any fun that there is in life.

Don't do this, do not ! do that and if you have to do it it let it be controlled by the authorities..... yeez man a lot of us are in Thailand just to get away from this kind of thinking !

You don't like Songran well stay inside, it's only 1 day per bloody year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not a question of not liking Songran, since I have been here it is a uncontrollable mess, as I have already stated it should be strictly controlled within closed off areas away from people who want to go about there business in safety!!

As with almost everything else that should be fun it is ruined by inconsiderate people! would you be happy if whilst riding your bike you had a bucket of ice cold water containing ice cubes thrown into your face? I really do not see that as fun!!!

Edited by dogpoo

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

It's not a question of not liking Songran, since I have been here it is a uncontrollable mess, as I have already stated it should be strictly controlled within closed off areas away from people who want to go about there business in safety!!

How long have you been here now? When have you seen anything ever strictly controlled here? I think you know the obvious answer: If you want strict control, you know already where you can go...

Told my missus (Thai) she immediately said "well whats the point of having Songkran then" Shrugged her shoulders and said, to my surprise, "what is happening to Thailand?"

"Don't take this the wrong way".... How do you expect him to take such a stupid and off-topic question?

• Like 1

When kids don't know how to play in a nice way, it's time to take away the candy.

There is many other places to celebrate songkran, than Patong. And even for the Patong, I do not believe that the law / rule would be really enforced.

"Don't take this the wrong way".... How do you expect him to take such a stupid and off-topic question?

I think he wishes he could find one like her! biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think he wishes he could find one like her! biggrin.png

Well, not exactly biggrin.png. But I'm curious. Is she a farm girl, Bangkok working girl (and by that I mean OFFICE girl - just in case Mr Budgen reads any more into that too), hi-so, southern Thai, northern Thai, etc. I would love to know what the average Thai thinks is the way Songkran should be celebrated.

I would love to know what the average Thai thinks is the way Songkran should be celebrated.

That way you'll never get the answer. Go somewhere where average Thais are celebrating Songkran and you'll get the answer.

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

How long have you been here now? When have you seen anything ever strictly controlled here? I think you know the obvious answer: If you want strict control, you know already where you can go...

Well I don't go anywhere, I choose to avoid the idiots! and no nothing will ever be controlled here!

I would love to know what the average Thai thinks is the way Songkran should be celebrated.

That way you'll never get the answer. Go somewhere where average Thais are celebrating Songkran and you'll get the answer.

I have driven up-country during Songkran and found that some groups of celebrants block the main roads - really quite big roads - and the only way to get through is to let them put powder on your face and all over the pickup!

It can be a bit wearing if you have a long way to go.

I have driven up-country during Songkran and found that some groups of celebrants block the main roads - really quite big roads - and the only way to get through is to let them put powder on your face and all over the pickup!

It can be a bit wearing if you have a long way to go.

In a way it's also getting to know each others even if it's wearing.

Maybe next time stop by at some smaller city or village, stay for the night and join the party?

I have limited experiences, but my first songkran was an pleasant surprise how well people behaved. This was compared to the larger parties back in my own country.

That's also the reason why I dislike moronic "I'll hurt you and I'm the king of the hill" behavior done by some of the people who 'have fun'.

Well I don't go anywhere, I choose to avoid the idiots! and no nothing will ever be controlled here!

Wait a minute, I never said any of this. You should try again... Unless you want me editing your posts! Whoops, I already did, since you didn't have a clue how to... And you sound like you have a lot of fun, holed up in your wonderful place in Patong...

Edited by Jimi007

They will never be able to enforce it.

Even if the bars close you'll still get people bringing in their own or those guys who sell it from coolers on the sidewalk. It is ALWAYS the way here: play by the rules = get screwed.

Just look at the taxi mafia, mom&pop shops that ignore the afternoon alcohol sales ban,etc.

Saphan Hin is better for Songkran anyway, notwithstanding the recent report by one TV poster that he was targeted with acid to the face there last year.

post-40708-0-97401500-1365302144_thumb.j

Saphan Hin is better for Songkran anyway, notwithstanding the recent report by one TV poster that he was targeted with acid to the face there last year.

Alcohol banned in Saphan hin too:

Saphan Hin Park; Kata-Karon beachfront; Soi Bangla and Patong beach road; Kamala Park; Surin Beach and Sirinath National Park.

Even if the bars close you'll still get people bringing in their own or those guys who sell it from coolers on the sidewalk. It is ALWAYS the way here: play by the rules = get screwed.

Just look at the taxi mafia, mom&pop shops that ignore the afternoon alcohol sales ban,etc.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view Saphan hin park is on the list of places that alcohol is banned. sad.png

As well as, Kata-Karon Beach front, Soi Bangla and Patong beach road, Kamala Park, Surin Beach and

Sirinath National Park. bah.gif

Oops didn't see PR's post sorry. wai.gif

Edited by phuketjock

Just curious why there would be an alcohol ban on the 12th? Sangkran is on the 14th through 16th according to my calendars.

My calender too Jimmi but apparently they celebrate it one day earlier in Phuket??

I have never understood why it is clebrated at completely different dates and numbers of days all over Thailand,

my wifes hometown is the 21st this year???? biggrin.png

Just curious why there would be an alcohol ban on the 12th? Sangkran is on the 14th through 16th according to my calendars.

My calender too Jimmi but apparently they celebrate it one day earlier in Phuket??

I have never understood why it is clebrated at completely different dates and numbers of days all over Thailand,

my wifes hometown is the 21st this year???? biggrin.png

Weird... I know some places celebrate for days, others like Rawai, it's just the one day and shuts down usually before sunset.