The Captiva

Just to throw it into the mix, there is also the Subaru XV here now. Nice car, a little bit different to the shopping mall boxes most others look like. Good ground clearance, AWD, handles great, nicely appointed. I bought one.

• Like 1

Just to throw it into the mix, there is also the Subaru XV here now. Nice car, a little bit different to the shopping mall boxes most others look like. Good ground clearance, AWD, handles great, nicely appointed. I bought one.

But hardly an SUV...some just need something bigger and safer.

Yes, you're right, it's not an SUV but a "Crossover". The Subaru has the highest ANCAP safety score of any car in its segment and with it's longer wheelbase than the Impreza it's based on has good space for four adults.

* Of course the safety score is based on a model with a full suite of airbags, like all cars here they under bagged although the Subaru has 3 -a drivers knee airbag being the extra one.

Edited by Bung
  • Like 1

You say the enigma is a VM Italian one, is it 2.4 TD ?

Because if so this is the engine in the TX4 London taxi, and they've had problems,

Trick is change the oil every 5K miles,use a fully synthetic I think 5/30 ,

Keep an eye on the water in reservation tank,they have a tendency to leak from the core plugs and the water evaporates on the engine,hence no evidence on the floor,

Also don't tighten the cap on the expansion tank,leave it a little loose,they blow the water hoses under pressure,

Because if you look in the book it tells you do not replace cap with a pressurised one,

Try and get a pic of engine so you can see if it's the same,

Hope this helps mate

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Not much bothered what You Think, perhaps other readers have read You in Nakasawan Schoolgirl Giggleing Posts in the Central Section . I have plenty of Likes, despite my admittedly crap Mudled English. Clearly my Bargirls Choice comment has touched a nerve. im just Happy and dont give a Rats Ass.cheesy.gif

So by getting like's it show's to your way of "thinking" they are just that liked.

Reminds me of going to a Karaoke bar when someone is utter rubbish and every one call's out for more.

By the way you've still not answered any of my question's.

fredob43, no one gives a <deleted> but you. take your pissing contest elsewhere. you bore me.

and if you are going to take it to another poster's english, learn how to use an apostrophe.

Sorry if I've upset you and maybe other's. Please allow me tell you my reasoning.

TV is a way for us Expats to glean knowledge on what's going on in Thailand.

I believe TV get's it's monies for running the site from advert's. Over the year's many Highly intelligent peep's that used to post do not do so any more Fact, and we are now getting more plank's of wood posting at best drivel.

If it keep's going the way it is in a few year's time the advertiser's could dry up leaving us without a decent site.

Please don't say that it wont happen as it could do just that, example Yahoo.

Once again sorry for boring peep's but I feel that if someone doesn't say something we could be on a very slippery slope.

Re the apostrophe's we all make mistake's whilst tapping when we are wound up. English for example had a capital as well as You after a full stop.

The biggest and most noticeable differences between the Captiva & the likes of the Fortuna and the Trailblazer is the suspension and the brakes. The latter two are built on pick- up chassis that means crap rear suspension and only have drums on the rear brakes. The Captiva rides and handles as a proper SUV should. Yes it's expensive, but you pay for what you get. I've had an LTZ AWD for 4 years now, bought new. Properly serviced at the correct intervals and has never given me a second's problems. The TC diesel ( only 2 liters) is responsive and fast. I've had mine doing close to 200 klicks and could still hear that missed cord on Stairway to Heaven on the supplied hifi. The GPS works like dream. Had it off-road up by the Loa border with no problems at all. Personally however I would have liked a bigger more powerful petrol engine, but at the time of purchase the top of the range model only came as a diesel. I anticipate keeping it for a few years more.

Wrong Trailblazer has disc rear brakes. Also explain what you mean by crap rear suspension?

Yes, you're right, it's not an SUV but a "Crossover". The Subaru has the highest ANCAP safety score of any car in its segment and with it's longer wheelbase than the Impreza it's based on has good space for four adults.

* Of course the safety score is based on a model with a full suite of airbags, like all cars here they under bagged although the Subaru has 3 -a drivers knee airbag being the extra one.

Believe the captica has 8...one of the few vehicles in Thailand with a full complement of airbags. Subaru does make some great vehicles...no doubt about that.

The biggest and most noticeable differences between the Captiva & the likes of the Fortuna and the Trailblazer is the suspension and the brakes. The latter two are built on pick- up chassis that means crap rear suspension and only have drums on the rear brakes. The Captiva rides and handles as a proper SUV should. Yes it's expensive, but you pay for what you get. I've had an LTZ AWD for 4 years now, bought new. Properly serviced at the correct intervals and has never given me a second's problems. The TC diesel ( only 2 liters) is responsive and fast. I've had mine doing close to 200 klicks and could still hear that missed cord on Stairway to Heaven on the supplied hifi. The GPS works like dream. Had it off-road up by the Loa border with no problems at all. Personally however I would have liked a bigger more powerful petrol engine, but at the time of purchase the top of the range model only came as a diesel. I anticipate keeping it for a few years more.

I think you should educate yourself a bit more on the fortuner and Trailblazer before you comment on them as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about at the moment.

I think you should educate yourself a bit more on the fortuner and Trailblazer before you comment on them as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about at the moment.

And the clearly implied assumption that you do is so well articulated in your post! I admit that I am no expert but I am an engineer and understand dynamics. Before buying my Captiva I did consider a Fortuna - some of them look pretty good. A friend let me borrow his 3 litre job for a couple days - he was offshore for a couple weeks. I found the ride uncomfortable, nauseating on occasion and the engine not particularly powerful. Worst however were the brakes. It was labouring on a single carriage way country road at about 180 kph; there was a truck in the distance coming towards me. Suddenly another truck pulled out to overtake the first truck. I rammed on the brakes which initially worked fine; then suddenly almost totally failed. Luckily the second truck saw me and pulled back in - otherwise there was no way I would have avoided a head on collision.

With even the smallest of vehicles now having relatively powerful engines- any one who buys a vehicle with rear drum brakes better make sure they have good insurance cover! As someone else said, the Captiva must be one of the safest SUVs on the Thai roads. And as we all know; on Thai roads the safer your car is, the safer you and your passengers are. Is that worth the extra cost. You betcha!

I've been tempted by the captiva for a long time. Sure it's a little expensive but as you say, that's because it's built on a car frame/suspension and not a truck's, so gets whacked with high taxes. Looks are always subjective but I like the rounded fluid looks if the captive better than any of it's Thai market competitors, except the X3. The Fortuner and Trailblazer are too big for what I need and the interiors too spartan. My other choice would be the X3 but it's twice the money of the already pricy captiva.

You're claiming the taxes on the Fortuner are less because it is built on a truck frame/suspension?

• Like 1

I've been tempted by the captiva for a long time. Sure it's a little expensive but as you say, that's because it's built on a car frame/suspension and not a truck's, so gets whacked with high taxes. Looks are always subjective but I like the rounded fluid looks if the captive better than any of it's Thai market competitors, except the X3. The Fortuner and Trailblazer are too big for what I need and the interiors too spartan. My other choice would be the X3 but it's twice the money of the already pricy captiva.

You're claiming the taxes on the Fortuner are less because it is built on a truck frame/suspension?

I have always understood that excise taxes on vehicles are based on a combination of factors...point of origin, engine size, and vehicle type, e.g., passenger car or truck. My understanding is that pickup trucks receive the lowest tax rates because they are considered commercial work vehicles (I.e., for farmers). When truck based SUVs appeared, being that they were based in truck frames they received lower, but not the same, excise rates. Passenger cars have their own, higher rates, as do the SUVs based on them. At least this is my understanding.

I think there is currently some adjustment in tax rates based on engine fuel type/displacement but don't know how this affects SUVs.

lol at travelling @ 180km/h and you think the whole vehicle is crap because they brakes did not perform all that good.

"Did not perform all that good"? They completely faded away to nothing you prick !

And I did not say the whole vehicle was crap - only the suspension, the brakes and an under performing engine.

• Like 1

I have always understood that excise taxes on vehicles are based on a combination of factors...point of origin, engine size, and vehicle type, e.g., passenger car or truck. My understanding is that pickup trucks receive the lowest tax rates because they are considered commercial work vehicles (I.e., for farmers). When truck based SUVs appeared, being that they were based in truck frames they received lower, but not the same, excise rates. Passenger cars have their own, higher rates, as do the SUVs based on them. At least this is my understanding.

I think there is currently some adjustment in tax rates based on engine fuel type/displacement but don't know how this affects SUVs.

You're avoiding the question, because you know you're wrong on both counts with your claim "because it's built on a car frame/suspension and not a truck's, so gets whacked with high taxes" in comparison with the Fortuner and Trailblazer..

PPV's (Pickup based Passenger Vehicles) do indeed attract a lower excise tax rate (20%) than passenger cars (22%-50%). The only exception is eco cars, taxed at 17%.

• Like 1

And the clearly implied assumption that you do is so well articulated in your post! I admit that I am no expert but I am an engineer and understand dynamics. Before buying my Captiva I did consider a Fortuna - some of them look pretty good. A friend let me borrow his 3 litre job for a couple days - he was offshore for a couple weeks. I found the ride uncomfortable, nauseating on occasion and the engine not particularly powerful. Worst however were the brakes. It was labouring on a single carriage way country road at about 180 kph; there was a truck in the distance coming towards me. Suddenly another truck pulled out to overtake the first truck. I rammed on the brakes which initially worked fine; then suddenly almost totally failed. Luckily the second truck saw me and pulled back in - otherwise there was no way I would have avoided a head on collision.

With even the smallest of vehicles now having relatively powerful engines- any one who buys a vehicle with rear drum brakes better make sure they have good insurance cover! As someone else said, the Captiva must be one of the safest SUVs on the Thai roads. And as we all know; on Thai roads the safer your car is, the safer you and your passengers are. Is that worth the extra cost. You betcha!

The "not particularly powerful" engine did allow you to get the 2 tonne vehicle up to and to maintain 180kph!! Anybody however doing 180kph on a single carriageway in this country is the one in need of good insurance cover (life & motor).

• Like 1

Like The Commander Tamsens choice of Music, Stairway to Heaven. Hope you were on Michelin at 200 Clics in a Tumble Over Ride, or Highway to Hell would be more fitting. biggrin.png . Excuse my Emicon, they don't have a Superior Sam one.thumbsup.gif

Bat out of Hell was on the playlist too

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[

The "not particularly powerful" engine did allow you to get the 2 tonne vehicle up to and to maintain 180kph!! Anybody however doing 180kph on a single carriageway in this country is the one in need of good insurance cover (life & motor).

Don't worry I have. I also have an MSA Racing Licence - not that that gives me license to break the Thai speeds limits of course, but it's nice every once in a while to get the old adrenalin pumping- and believe me when those brakes started to fade it wasn't just the adrenalin that was about to start pumping.

lol at travelling @ 180km/h and you think the whole vehicle is crap because they brakes did not perform all that good.

"Did not perform all that good"? They completely faded away to nothing you prick !

And I did not say the whole vehicle was crap - only the suspension, the brakes and an under performing engine.

what else do you expect you retard traveling at those speeds. did you think it would stop as though it was an E-stop @ 70km/h ?

Why not "Roll Over Fortuna", "An kick them peasants in Cars".... thumbsup.gif Why isn't there a Superior English emicon ? , save some a post. giggle.gif Ups, their i go again.sorry.gif

What would a superior English emoticon look like?

Roll Over Fortuna is actually very apt - you should read some of the Fortuna 4x4 blogs and see just how unfunny that is.

As for Michelins - nah; it's Pirrellis you want. Just imagine how stupid any 4x4 would look shod in a set of PZeros.

I don't know what a Superior Brit emicon would look like, i was only there from 1965 to 75ish. Eton Rifles and Mommy's Money, could cover it , or real Brits with HGV licences and not full of shit would be my fond memory.

Eton Rifles - Ace, you're the Man. I'm still a fan of Paul Wellers.

How about Waterloo Sunset ? That would have been in your period in the UK.

Mommy's Money? Got me stumped on that one!

what else do you expect you retard traveling at those speeds. did you think it would stop as though it was an E-stop @ 70km/h ?

Yes. Actually I did. If a car is capable of those speeds then it should be capable of braking safely from those speeds!

A 2 tonne car/pick-up/SUV with a 3 litre engine that doesn't have ventilated front discs and has rear drums was made for retards to buy!

You're avoiding the question, because you know you're wrong on both counts with your claim "because it's built on a car frame/suspension and not a truck's, so gets whacked with high taxes" in comparison with the Fortuner and Trailblazer..

What question is that? I'm not here to argue about the prices or excise tax rates for these vehicles. I was only postulating on the reason for the relatively high price of the Captiva compared to other SUV type vehicles.

As an aside, are you saying the Fortuner and Trailblazer are not based on trucks; or that the tax rates between SUVs are the same as trucks, or what exactly?

Not much bothered what You Think, perhaps other readers have read You in Nakasawan Schoolgirl Giggleing Posts in the Central Section . I have plenty of Likes, despite my admittedly crap Mudled English. Clearly my Bargirls Choice comment has touched a nerve. im just Happy and dont give a Rats Ass.cheesy.gif

Rock on buddy, as said many times, many on here have no sense of humour, they probabaly believe everything on Facebook too. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

• Like 1

What question is that? I'm not here to argue about the prices or excise tax rates for these vehicles. I was only postulating on the reason for the relatively high price of the Captiva compared to other SUV type vehicles.

As an aside, are you saying the Fortuner and Trailblazer are not based on trucks; or that the tax rates between SUVs are the same as trucks, or what exactly?

IMHO has already given some good information on the subject, and he knows what he is talking about. So I stand corrected.