Currency To Take To Indonesia

garrya

Hi everybody,

I am soon to set off for Indonesia from Thailand. My question is: Can I take Thai baht or exchange baht to dollars?

As I work in Thailand I earn Thai baht that I wouldn't want to exchange if not necessery.

Any help appreciated

I think that Thai baht will get a rather bad exchange rate in Indonesia. You might check with your Thai bank about ATM fees for withdrawing in Indonesia - you may do better by just using your Thai ATM.

Otherwise, I would suggest changing your baht to US/Euro for a better rate. Also, beware there are so many scam money exchange booths in Indonesia. I have some monies in a U.S. bank and I use my ATM for withdrawals - much safer an reliable.

• Like 1

Indonesian money changers are very fussy, especially when it comes to USD. Make sure the USD you take to Indonesia don't have markings of any kind -- those small stamps, especially -- and are clean and without tears or repairs. Crisp, brand new US$100 bills are best.

• Like 1

If you have atm card...just take it out as you need it....take some cash for emergency, but that is all I do

Not ATM card, I think. Credit card or debit card with VISA or Mastercard logo.

Thanks. Then I'll take some US$ and use ATM.

You will need USD for your VOA, $25 for 30 days.

I just use an ATM Card when I am there.

Not all ATM will give you more than 1 million rupiah too and that amount will fill your wallet alone.

Thanks. Then I'll take some US$ and use ATM.

You will need USD for your VOA, $25 for 30 days.

I just use an ATM Card when I am there.

Not all ATM will give you more than 1 million rupiah too and that amount will fill your wallet alone.

Only if you get your money from a dodgy changer will you have a wallet full of notes ! ATM's usually give out RP100,000 notes so thats only a total of 10 If you get from a reputable exchange you can ask for RP 50,000 notes which are Blue and also a lot easier to get change for on a purchase ! As for the VOA they will usually accept a major currency I.E US $ AU$ GBP etc but at a rate favourable to them so check exchange rates before you hand over the folding stuff.

Edited by steve down under