I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane On 25Th April Back To England

Notstupid30

I spent 8 glorious years living/working in Thailand and moved back to UK in my early 30's, took about a year to finally get my act together work wise where I tried this job and that job, then managed to get back into the business I was working in before I moved away....still doing it.

I have said it myself, but the saying of 'I could never live back home' I find is really for the newbies or the ones who have burned all their bridges and probably owe money or worse wherever it is they are staying away from...

to the OP, it's a brave move and good luck to you....there's a lot of hard work ahead of you and that's what I reckon would put most people off of actually having the nuts to do itthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the saying of 'I could never live back home' I find is really for the newbies or the ones who have burned all their bridges and probably owe money or worse wherever it is they are staying away from...

-

In my case not at all, I truly feel much more of an alien when I go back, can't identify at all with local attitudes especially political-economic, but also cultural stuff, work-life balance and of course political correctness and nanny-state BS.

At least here being an alien is normal, no one expects me to fit in to the local culture that much, but there I have to watch my mouth, basically keep it shut or even white-lie to be polite, if I say what I really think about everything I see around me I would immediately be cast out as a loony or traitor.

I hope you are financially independent to live through the rest of your years if you are older (>55). Or, if you are younger, which I think you are, I hope you'll be able to save enough for the future while living continuously in Thailand.

It has always been my belief that you need money to live in Thailand. Sure, some foreigners make money here but it's more of an exception than the norm. I believe the OP has made a wise choice - true to his handle, notstupid30. Perhaps, the next time this OP comes around, he may use the handle: welloff50.

Good luck to the OP!

If this is true, (repeat if this is true), then one less farang in the LOS.

I doubt any Thai would lose sleep over it let alone other farangs !

You'll be ecstatic to know that TV has been instrumental in my decision to settle in Perak over anywhere in Thailand. It was the kick-in-the-pants I sorely needed.

You'll be ecstatic to know that TV has been instrumental in my decision to settle in Perak over anywhere in Thailand. It was the kick-in-the-pants I sorely needed.

I have mixed feelings about that.

I have mixed feelings about that.

OK, SC - which part of Perak do you live in ? I promise I'll avoid that town, cross my heart and hope to die. :D

(FWIW, I'm looking at the Penang-Butterworth-Ipoh corridor : an hour's flight to Swampy, about the same as living in Udon or CM !)

Thanks again people my experiences here have been up and down like everybody else's these days reason for going home is to make money and also see the world while i'm still young .. Plus running around after girls gets boring plus seating in bars isn't healthy these days and on top of this Thailand has changed these days to what i remember like 6 years ago ...

>Thanks again people my experiences here have been up and down like everybody else's these days reason for going home is to make money and also see the world while i'm still young .. Plus running around after girls gets boring plus seating in bars isn't healthy these days and on top of this Thailand has changed these days to what i remember like 6 years ago ...

How have you been supporting yourself here for 11 years?

Working hard not pissing my money away or wasting money on Thai girls ..

The OP is at the airport with his passport, an Air Asia ticket and a furtive, hunted look everytime someone in a uniform walks past. If I was paranoid about people in uniforms wanting to check my passport, the airport is about the last place I'd want to be. ;)

OP, best of luck to you and your future endeavers. You got to enjoy Thailand while you were young- good for you.

One thing about living here at a relatively young age is that many folks just get by financially- and aren't saving/investing money for the future.

Just sayin smile.png

The OP is at the airport with his passport, an Air Asia ticket and a furtive, hunted look everytime someone in a uniform walks past. If I was paranoid about people in uniforms wanting to check my passport, the airport is about the last place I'd want to be. wink.png

I'm guessing that this thread is just an attempt to throw interpol of his tail.

There'll be a multi-agency snatch squad waiting for him in the crowd* at Salford City Stadium...

It's all part of a cunning plan by Dr K to drive up attendances

SC

* if you'll pardon the slight exaggeration

OP.......contrary to TV opinion, there is still serious money to be made in the UK.

You'll walk in to a job in the hotel and hospitality business. Get your feet back below the table, look around and as long as you have an eye for the opportunity and basic business acumen you'll be fine. You have experience of working in the Byzantine world of Thai business and you won't believe how easy it is to do business in the UK by comparison.

Your prime earning years are coming up, fill your boots up and keep an eye on your long term goals. If you miss Thailand, it's only a £500 flight away for a holiday, but I fear the Thailand you love is now just a memory, there's nothing wrong with that, as it's a good memory. I had 5 cracking years in Germany from age 23-28 and I made unbelievable money for a young guy, and I spent most of it, you better believe I've got happy memories of Germany. drunk.gif

Just come back, fill your boots off, and when you're ready look for the next adventure....that's what life is all about.

ps. To all you moaning faced geriatrics out there, leave him alone, you're just jealous that you didn't arrive in Thailand when you were 20. coffee1.gif

Nice post. What ever the subjective comments some posters make about the UK, there are many people that are trying to get in, will work hard and create wealth for their future. Hope the OP is successful smile.png
  • Like 1

I appreciate all the negative comments seems a lot people have a lot of spare time on there hands these days … People with positive feed back thank you so much appreciated …

As for my early comment about not wasting my money on bars and girls well only speaking the truth these days i rather put my money to better use like seeing the world or doing the finer thing in life like a hot air balloon across the nile river in Luxor or taking a helicopter ride around darling harbour thats just some of the things i can think of right this moment as for Air Asia sorry i don't use that Airline and as for law enforcement agencies they can do there background checks i have nothing to hide so i welcome them to do that if it make the journey a lot safer for people ..

• Like 1

but the saying of 'I could never live back home' I find is really for the newbies or the ones who have burned all their bridges and probably owe money or worse wherever it is they are staying away from...

-

In my case not at all, I truly feel much more of an alien when I go back, can't identify at all with local attitudes especially political-economic, but also cultural stuff, work-life balance and of course political correctness and nanny-state BS.

At least here being an alien is normal, no one expects me to fit in to the local culture that much, but there I have to watch my mouth, basically keep it shut or even white-lie to be polite, if I say what I really think about everything I see around me I would immediately be cast out as a loony or traitor.

Of course you feel like an alien when you go back to wherever you are from, especially if you haven't lived there for a bit...that's quite normal.

I think in Thailand you also have to watch your mouth as well don't you? In fact that goes for anywhere in the world unless you are a dictator from North Korea or perhaps Elvis in his prime....in fact I find your last paragraph really strange and would suggest some mental assessment and perhaps a spell of prozac/counselling if that's how you really feel....you come across as extremely self conscious/paranoid whistling.gif

Edited by norrona

Thanks guys .. Well i've been here since i was 20 and will be 31 in may it comes a time in life where you just get fed up of a place plus all the bs what comes with it i have also lived in Bangkok / Pattaya / Phuket .. just tired these days .. plus i'm not getting any younger ...

Real Madrid.
If you don't speak Spanish and shack up with a girl in the slums, it's not the real Madrid, it's just the tourist Madrid.

What on earth are you on about Mr veteran, 10K plus posts? sick.gif You do realisze Real Madrid is a football club? so many looneys on here.

Someone was last on the boat when it came to spelling and alternative humour...bless

Real Madrid.

If you don't speak Spanish and shack up with a girl in the slums, it's not the real Madrid, it's just the tourist Madrid.
What on earth are you on about Mr veteran, 10K plus posts? sick.gif You do realisze Real Madrid is a football club? so many looneys on here.
Someone was last on the boat when it came to spelling and alternative humour...bless
I'm guessing he's a possible Johnny Foreigner, and we should make allowances.

He's new around here as well, and may not yet have the sagacity that comes with our advancing maturity.

Personally, I thought it was the icing on the cake;

SC

• Like 1

-

Of course you feel like an alien when you go back to wherever you are from, especially if you haven't lived there for a bit...that's quite normal.

I think in Thailand you also have to watch your mouth as well don't you? In fact that goes for anywhere in the world unless you are a dictator from North Korea or perhaps Elvis in his prime....in fact I find your last paragraph really strange and would suggest some mental assessment and perhaps a spell of prozac/counselling if that's how you really feel....you come across as extremely self conscious/paranoid whistling.gif

Actually I have just read the thread started by you about doing a runner from your landlord....sincerely hope you have sorted it out as you'll need a lot more than prozac and counselling if it all goes wrong!

I think in Thailand you also have to watch your mouth as well don't you? In fact that goes for anywhere in the world unless you are a dictator from North Korea or perhaps Elvis in his prime....in fact I find your last paragraph really strange and would suggest some mental assessment and perhaps a spell of prozac/counselling if that's how you really feel....you come across as extremely self conscious/paranoid

-

No, I pretty much speak my mind here without fear of consequences, opinions that are considered extreme and radical back home seem to be accepted as par for the course among expats.

Plus no one holds it against you being a "traitor" when you're overseas, or at least those few that might aren't likely to influence my ability to achieve my goals in life.

Whereas back home if you disagree with people's politics these days they tend to take it personally, ostracise you socially and possibly actively try to discredit you with others, see you as the enemy rather than engaging in open discussion.

For example I think Assange and Manning should at least be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, Bush/Cheney should be prosecuted for international war crimes (along with Kissinger) and hundreds of Wall Street dealmakers and bankers should be behind bars. My family and friends' circles back home are pretty right-wing, tend to think along the same lines as the TV member with the Dean Martin avatar, while among my NES friends here they'd have a hard time believing he's not just playing a caricature for laughs.

you might speak/write your mind on thai visa but I don't believe you are as verbally opinionated out in public...

whilst I agree with your last paragraph on the whole, your comparison to the western world and being ostracized for political belief is exactly the same as in your chosen country you reside in(for however much longer that lasts) do we see red shirts/yellow shirts walking along holding hands?

see post #203

I think in Thailand you also have to watch your mouth as well don't you? In fact that goes for anywhere in the world unless you are a dictator from North Korea or perhaps Elvis in his prime....in fact I find your last paragraph really strange and would suggest some mental assessment and perhaps a spell of prozac/counselling if that's how you really feel....you come across as extremely self conscious/paranoid

-

No, I pretty much speak my mind here without fear of consequences, opinions that are considered extreme and radical back home seem to be accepted as par for the course among expats.

Plus no one holds it against you being a "traitor" when you're overseas, or at least those few that might aren't likely to influence my ability to achieve my goals in life.

Whereas back home if you disagree with people's politics these days they tend to take it personally, ostracise you socially and possibly actively try to discredit you with others, see you as the enemy rather than engaging in open discussion.

For example I think Assange and Manning should at least be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, Bush/Cheney should be prosecuted for international war crimes (along with Kissinger) and hundreds of Wall Street dealmakers and bankers should be behind bars. My family and friends' circles back home are pretty right-wing, tend to think along the same lines as the TV member with the Dean Martin avatar, while among my NES friends here they'd have a hard time believing he's not just playing a caricature for laughs.

you might speak/write your mind on thai visa but I don't believe you are as verbally opinionated out in public...

whilst I agree with your last paragraph on the whole, your comparison to the western world and being ostracized for political belief is exactly the same as in your chosen country you reside in(for however much longer that lasts) do we see red shirts/yellow shirts walking along holding hands?

see post #203

I find it a lot safer to hold strong opinions about my own government than about my host government.

SC

• Like 1

-

see post #203

I find it a lot safer to hold strong opinions about my own government than about my host government.

SC

Exactly, his point is mute.... it's the same as me sitting here in London having opinions about the Thai governments/parties, nobody would give a crap and I could vent/rant pretty much unopposed (fair enough people will think I am a weirdo as well....still)

We have had discussions in my office about politics....nobody ostracized for their beliefs or what side they favour....what we have come to the conclusion on as a whole is they are all liars-cheats and scoundrels and only in it for their own gain...suppose that goes for Thai politics as well....

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

-

I wasn't trying to compare the two wrt how each treats its own citizens, but simply how I feel at home vs abroad (in any country other than my own). I am alien everywhere in the world, but back home is the only place where I'm made to feel bad about it, because there's an expectation to fit in there that doesn't exist abroad.

Thanks guys .. Well i've been here since i was 20 and will be 31 in may it comes a time in life where you just get fed up of a place plus all the bs what comes with it i have also lived in Bangkok / Pattaya / Phuket .. just tired these days .. plus i'm not getting any younger ...

From a financial perspective, I'd imagine that you haven't saved much if you've been in Thailand since you were 20. You're right--31 is pretty old to be starting over, but it's better late than never. Advice to any newbie wanting to settle in Thailand--have some money before you arrive because it's going to be tough trying to make it here without it.

As for your entire Thailand experience only in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket, you've managed to pick the three places I'd never consider living.

I started from scratch at 35, so it can be done.

However, if Pattaya fails to thrill, I doubt the UK will be the answer to what ails the OP. I spent 10 years in the UK, and couldn't wait to move permanently to Pattaya.

-

I hear you. I didnt follow what you were saying about Thai. But you are right about people. Why is it, people these days dont want to talk openly about life and trying to figure the world out? Its a crazy place. People have their opinions which is good, but when you challenge those why do people take things personally and as you say try and ostrasize you. I call these people "snipers".. dont want to go head to head in a conversation (i didnt even say arguement).

Sadly there are many expats like this in Thailand also. You notice this especially when you live in a community with a small community of expats with everyone knowing each other.

I do admire the Thais for avoiding political conversations and not talking about ideologies and things that are completely out of our control. But we have been brought up (was this just my generation?) to have ideas and discuss and question the world. Maybe its just best to talk about silly things, football and other things that shouldnt offend people. Just have a few close friends who you open up to, and treat others as drinking buddies and avoid all that other stuff. Still, it shouldnt be like that i think .

Maybe we are all just clinging to a view of the world we are comfortable with, makes us feel safe. We dont necessarily want someone to come along and burst our bubble. Maybe best just avoid sensitive subjects with people who arent into analysing the world and trying to figure it out - which is most people TBH. Can't say I blame them necessarily, I think id be happier if I was more spiritually asleep :/ Think i answered my own question!

Edited by BuffaloRescue