Amd Turion Vs. Intel Core Duo Processor

kkengvibul

I spent a while choosing a new lappy here in Thailand.

The one I chose was the Acer TM 3282, best performance and features for the price, I can highly recommend it. It has 1x 512MB and added an extra 512 easily. (No, I don't work for Acer!)

Just one point to note if you buy this one, get the BIOS update from the Acer Thailand website otherwise it has a problem when it hibernates.

Happy shopping!

you really should look at asus computers. i think youre a bit mad tossing all that money at an acer computer personally. asus make great hardware, just not well known - their cards and mainboards are stellar. you might also want to look at nec and fujitsu - and my 2 baht, sacrifice the cpu as mentioned not only 64 bit apps but 64 bit os that is stable and then worry about the apps. i would agree - as much ram as you can afford is way better than a tiny bump in cpu speed (1.7 to 2.0 for instance). im reallydown on acer but maybe its becasue i remember all the problems when the company came onboard. yes, they do oem for other mfg's i know.

i think youre a bit mad tossing all that money at an acer computer...im reallydown on acer but maybe its becasue i remember all the problems when the company came onboard.

It's true Acer used to make utter trash. They were probably the lowest quality stuff in the market. But they have changed. Now their machines are pretty decent and have generous warranties. I would have never thought I would buy any Acer equipment but I now own one of their notebooks because 2 years ago they were one of the only ones selling 64-bit cpu's and am happy with it. Probably my biggest gripe is they didn't bother to put a home or end key on the keyboard; it's a shift sequence. Overall I consider it a nice, feature rich box. And the thing is there's not much about it that is acer. It is a VIA mobo, an AMD cpu, a Toshiba hard drive, etc etc.

You brought up Asus which has always had a very good reputation for quality. What companies put Asus mainboards in their laptops?

Asus is a bit strange in that they offer lower-end notebooks that compete with Acer and really high-end notebooks that compete with the likes of Sony. Some people really like them, some don't, same as with every other notebook manufacturer. My one experience with an Asus notebook was not a positive one.

Acer stands out on their warranty in that they offer notebook insurance for the first year. I don't know how much the coverage is or what it covers, but I don't see any other manufacturer offering the same thing.

Anyways..more questions about laptops!!

:o

Fujitsu Lifebook S2110

Mobile AMD Turion 64 MT-30

(1.6GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 1600MHz HTSB)

Windows XP Home

13.3" SuperFine XGA TFT, 1024x768 pixels

DVD Super Multi Drive

512MB DDR 333MHz

80GB HDD

56K V.92 Global Modem MDC1.5, IrDA 1.1 4Mbps, 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet and Super AG/Super G wireless connection with Dual Antenna

Battery Upto 3.3hrs (6-cell Li-ion 5200mAh)

Approx 1.65kg

PC Card Type II, SD/MS/xD, Smart Card support)

USB2.0x3, VGA Port, RJ45, RJ11, IEEE1394, S-Video out, HD-Audio-in, HD Audio-out, Power Adapter DC-in, Port Replicatior Interface

Warranty 3 Years

Acer Aspire 5024NWLMi

AMD Turion®64 ML-34

(1.8GHz, 1MB L2 cache)

-ATI RADEON® XPREES 200M chipset

-Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g

-Integrated Bluetooth™

-512MB DDR-RAM (Max 2GB)

-100GB HDD, Weight 3.07kg.

-DVD-Dual Double Layer, 6-in-1 card reader

-56K Fax/Modem, 10/100/1000Mbps LAN

-15.4” WXGA Acer CrytalBrite TFT LCD

(1280x800 pixel)/S-Video Out

-1year warranty

ASUS A6KA32DVR

2.85 kgs

AMD Mobile Turion™ 64 Mobile (MT32) 1.8GHz

512MB DDR

80GB HDD

Display 15.4“ WXGA Color Shine LCD

Graphic: NVidia® GeForce™ 6200 with TurboCache™ supporting 128MB

DVD Dual

Integrated V.92 MDC Fax/Modem, with AC-Link Version. 2.1 Compliant AC 97 s/w MODEM and 10/100 Base T Pass and support worldwide regulation IEEE 802.11b/g

2 years international warranty

Card Reader : SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO

Will there be a big difference in performance between these notebooks? (I like the Fujitsu for its mobility~ light and battery life)

What are the pros and cons (lookin from the specs)?

thx

Ultraportables are just that, very light, small, and portable. Of course, they sacrifice a lot of things for portability... speed, expandability, screen size, keyboard size, etc. They're also typically much more expensive than a comparable normal-size notebook. Because of this, typically only the top-tier manufacturers (the Japanese brands and such) offer ultraportables.

The Fujitsu looks good. The .2ghz speed difference is negligable. The specs are good, lacking only a decent graphics card. However, all three models lack a good graphics card (the nvidia 6200 is *not* a good graphics card). I'm guessing that it costs quite a lot. My friend paid 90k for something similar.

The Acer is the heaviest of the bunch, but I bet it's also the cheapest.

The Asus is the middle ground between the two.

All in all, very similar, so specs shouldn't be the deciding factor. Price, weight, ergonomics, and other things should be.

A long warranty is nice, but typically if it doesn't break in the first year (or month), it probably won't break in the next year.

Pretty extroadinary. About the only thing I have against it is it's lousy 3D graphics. Most probably not up to "vista" spec, and definitely not enough to play modern games. If you have no issues with that (and the tiny keyboard/screen), and you travel a lot (need the portability) then go with it. If you're mostly sitting at a desk and just need to take your laptop home and to the office, then get something with better specs.