Bonuses For Household Staff?

newlythai

Hi there - We are fairly new to Thailand (Bangkok) and very new to having household staff. We have a company-provided driver and two maids who are hired/paid by us.

I am wondering what the protocol is for giving bonuses to company-provided staff. Our maids will receive a bonus of one-month's salary during our holiday period (December).

With Songkran upon us, I am wondering what we should do for our driver. He works nearly every day for us, and we are pretty happy with him.

I'm also wondering what we can do as far as little "gifts" are concerned. I occasionally buy little snacks etc for all three, but I'm not sure if I should be doing more?

I appreciate ANY input on the subject, as I am clueless!

Once a year bonuses are going to be appreciated, other than that I would stick with small trinket items like food baskets and the like. If you give too much too soon it starts to become expected and can lead to problems. One thing I am sure they would surly appreciate is a few days off for Songkran to visit their families, just a thought.

money is always more appreciated than food baskets.

I give a bonus of 2-months' salary, cash in an envelope when they are getting on the bus upcountry to visit their families for Songkran holiday.

They understand this is for the previous calendar year's above-expected performance and their agreement to give at least two months' notice.

And their regular salary is already very low, these bonuses really only put them over the minimum wage (not counting room and board).

I have found this type of arrangement works very well for both sides.

Once a year bonuses are going to be appreciated, other than that I would stick with small trinket items like food baskets and the like. If you give too much too soon it starts to become expected and can lead to problems. One thing I am sure they would surly appreciate is a few days off for Songkran to visit their families, just a thought.

i agree, but once a year is good enough for bonuses. i dont believe in giving cash bonuses for EVERY holiday. As Funfon said, once a year for good service is enough. for other occasions i like to give small items to show appreciation.

i agree, but once a year is good enough for bonuses. i dont believe in giving cash bonuses for EVERY holiday. As Funfon said, once a year for good service is enough. for other occasions i like to give small items to show appreciation.
Well there aren't many holidays.....We actually give salary, overtime and commission on 3 different days, as when we paid it at the same date mid of the month the money was finished anyway....

Now we have much more reasonable people but still do it that way.

• Like 1

Trust me , these people only understand one rule. The moment you show a sign of kindness to them, they will take it as a sign of weakness and will try to screw you . Do it the Thai way. Treat them like slaves. Sadly it is the only language they understand.

• Like 1

Trust me , these people only understand one rule. The moment you show a sign of kindness to them, they will take it as a sign of weakness and will try to screw you . Do it the Thai way. Treat them like slaves. Sadly it is the only language they understand.

We have a lot staff that does not try to screw us (even we are kind) and everyone who tries will be kicked out.
  • Like 1

They are service staff. A small monetary gift or a fruit basket is acceptable. Anything more then these lazy assessed people should have colonized the world.......... they didn't so get on with it.

>Trust me , these people only understand one rule. The moment you show a sign of kindness to them, they will take it as a sign of weakness and will try to screw you . Do it the Thai way. Treat them like slaves. Sadly it is the only language they understand.

-

Perfect examples of people who will always get back from people around them the same kind of energies they put out into the world - in this case dark nasty yes evil ones.

The lady who looks after our children has worked without any salary at all for over four months at a time, even gone in to debt to buy the kids food, and put all of us up at her family home out in the rice fields of Ubon without ever complaining or talking about what she's going to get out of it.

We've always treated each other as family, the kids love her like the 2nd mother, she is she knew I'd be good for it, full of patience and faith in human goodness.

You get what you sow. . .

So I am saying "pay them and be done with it" and you have been living off the back of your maid for 4 months??? Going into debt to buy the kids food??? I would suggest before you employ a maid you get your house in order! Im talking about not giving a bonus, you are living off the back of your maid with wife and kids in tow???

So I am saying "pay them and be done with it" and you have been living off the back of your maid for 4 months??? Going into debt to buy the kids food??? I would suggest before you employ a maid you get your house in order! Im talking about not giving a bonus, you are living off the back of your maid with wife and kids in tow???

-

Circumstances change, when I'm flush she got her back pay plus interest, in one case over 80K at once because the annual bonus had come due.

She and her large family were overjoyed as this allowed them to get a solid start on building their new house on her parents land upcountry, and if she'd been getting her regular salary as usual she'd never have been able to save that kind of lump sum up.

And of course I'd like to get my house in better order, easier said than done sometimes, but as a single father of two very young kids, no matter what I need someone to help take care of them in order for me to be able to earn a living.

Yep I gave my Driver 4000bht and my maids I gave each 2000bht. I find giving money better then food and a few days off so they can visit their family

Yep I gave my driver 5000bht and the maids 2000bht each and a few days off so they can visit their family would be good

"Of course you did " and what a nice guy. You are.... Edited by bellboy
  • Like 1

-

Circumstances change, when I'm flush she got her back pay plus interest, in one case over 80K at once because the annual bonus had come due.

She and her large family were overjoyed as this allowed them to get a solid start on building their new house on her parents land upcountry, and if she'd been getting her regular salary as usual she'd never have been able to save that kind of lump sum up.

And of course I'd like to get my house in better order, easier said than done sometimes, but as a single father of two very young kids, no matter what I need someone to help take care of them in order for me to be able to earn a living.

80K???? how many months salary was this? or are you one of those guys that know MI5 mike???

songkran time is family time and your driver will appreciate a small bonus

but difficult to give driver and not your maids

some money and holiday time little bit show you have kind heart

if you have good driver and maid, they will respect your kindness

• Like 2

Why don't you just fire them all and get off your lazy butt and do the work yourself! Then next year you can treat yourself using the only language that they understand and not show any sign of weakness.

• Like 1

-

80K???? how many months salary was this? or are you one of those guys that know MI5 mike???

-

The annual bonus is based on B2,000 per month = 24K. Plus four months salary, plus back interest (2 percent) plus paying back some other expense money, including the food I'd mentioned, and a little consideration toward her upcountry family that had put us up a while.

No idea about MI5 Mike??

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information.

I have no intention of getting off my lazy butt, so I will continue to compensate generously (dumb farang here).

As the driver is not paid by us and we don't know his salary, would $4k baht be acceptable? We only plan to do a bonus once a year.

Should we also be giving him "tips" when he works late? Maybe 200 baht or so?

I had a company driver for several years, I never really let him drive me anywhere unless I knew parking was a problem. Too much hassel with drivers and maids. Easier to do it yourself and no problems to worry about a bonus. Less is more in this case in my opinion. House work keeps the spouse busy and thats good also.

Thank you all for the information.

I have no intention of getting off my lazy butt, so I will continue to compensate generously (dumb farang here).

As the driver is not paid by us and we don't know his salary, would $4k baht be acceptable? We only plan to do a bonus once a year.

Should we also be giving him "tips" when he works late? Maybe 200 baht or so?

My comment was not pointed to you but to thereisnoif. Some people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth never learn to spit it out and live life like normal people. 4k would certainly be acceptable and be most appreciated, tips are up to you but should not become the norm.

Lived, studied, worked here nearly 18 years, no maid(s), drivers. As labor costs rise, I look forward to automated and self service methods that were typical back home like pumping gas, receiving and paying parking from machines, self-service pay and bag your own groceries. With the labor crisis at hand its good that the government raised salaries because the value add for these functions doesn't make it worth it to employ people for jobs that offer no career path, skill development. Maids and drivers need to graduate to maid service crew members and driver pool members so that the excess of these groups become gainfully employed, trained in bigger and better things. Besides, I would prefer to pump my own gas and pay for it, it would take less time than it does now.....

What I'd like to know is how much is a fair monthly wage. My helper gets 12,000 baht/mo, a lot more than other Thais in my office. She doesn't cook, she works M-F 8am to 4pm. She has every Thai holiday off and 50 (paid) vacation days a year when we go back home for the summer. Some of these posts make me feel like I don't do enough for my housekeeper as I can't afford all these bonuses!

What I'd like to know is how much is a fair monthly wage. My helper gets 12,000 baht/mo, a lot more than other Thais in my office. She doesn't cook, she works M-F 8am to 4pm. She has every Thai holiday off and 50 (paid) vacation days a year when we go back home for the summer. Some of these posts make me feel like I don't do enough for my housekeeper as I can't afford all these bonuses!

Maid = 7000=10,000 baht a month

Driver = 8000=12,000 baht a month

Secretary = 7000 baht a month

Skilled labor = 14,000=20,000 a month

Educated skilled labor = 25k and the sky is the limit (normally only found in big cities like Bangkok, very rare in a tourist city such as Pattaya or Phuket if your Thai)

Most rates above are 9-10 hours a day and 6 days a week, Monday thru Saturday. Most Thai's that only work Monday thru Friday are in Bangkok with professional MNC's, general labor almost never see a 5 day work week. My wife in Pattaya that moved from Bangkok to stay here with me works 5 days a week 8 hours a day, almost unheard of. She is a manager and makes around 20k baht a month, educated with Masters Degree, fluent in 5 languages, never worked a bar in her life comes from a educated middle class family.

Your over paying - yes they get paid for holidays if you have them on salary, not if they are paid hourly... If they live with you the salary can even be less but not legally below minimum wage either way. Best arrangement they don't live with you and you pay a little more. Get a wife and you pay more but can fire the staff, ceremonial wedding (no marriage license in Thailand), recognized by most families and there is no financial risk to you if there is a relationship train wreck. I have actually found that this keeps most Thai/Foreigner marriages work out best as the Thai's know that can't get anything out of you upon divorce, they don't lose respect for you. Just don't build a house or buy land, get a nice condo for 4-6 million baht, live well and happy, keep car in your name or put in her name if you feel it will help show a little trust and face to the family. Don't pay more than 200k baht in Sin Sot or build the family a house unless she is middle class or above. Any more than that and your getting screwed.

Edited by commande

-

Mine's at 250 per day, no pay for days off for any reason. Not really hard work most of the time, maybe 3-4 actual working hours per day, but on call 24x7, cooks, cleans takes care of small children, shuttles them upcountry to visit their mum or the ex-in-laws as needed.

So yours has a pretty cushy deal.

To those talking about "spoiling" staff, or equating bonuses to "tips", note that with many many jobs it is completely normal for Thais to get a very large bonus once per year, not based on individual performance but overall economic performance of the factory or business.

It is not rare for this annual bonus to be as much as several months' salary.

Nothing to do with per-individual performance bonuses or tipping or spoiling, just another way to structure compensation to try to encourage staff to stick around long-term, which along with regular attendance is often the most challenging aspect to employing Thais.