Preventing 'butt Burn' From Hot Bike Seats?

FolkGuitar

I find a quick, cheap and easy way is to simply use a hand towel from home

You can use it dry or if the mood takes you, wander into a 7/11 or Mom and Pop shop and but a small bottle of cold water.

Drink some water and pour the rest over the towel. It is also handy when walking around.

People laugh at me as I look stupid but I am the one who is cool.

That was my usual method (or a folded sarong) but I was looking for something a bit handier. I still pour the water over myself before I start to ride. The evaporation is almost chilling!

Have you tried a cooling vest or a cooling neck wrap?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/cooling-vests/

Cooling Vests are becoming

the must have item for summer or whenever heat stress is an

issue.

Retail Price from $220.00

Will stay cold for up to 2 hours.

Total about 6,380 baht plus postage.

Towel 50 baht. cold water 6 baht. More cold water 6 baht.

. . . buy a car . . .

A car is a cage with 4 wheels. Only value is on a rainy day. On a bike, no one ever asks 'are we there yet?'

Sarcasm is lost on some people ...

OK ... serious answer ... carry a towel on the bike, when you stop, place towel on seat. When you're ready to ride again, remove towel, no hot seat.

Is that better FG?

Sarcasm isn't always lost. It's often ignored.

As for the serious answer, I appreciate your making the effort to help.

Try HERE

I (as did 5 or 6 others of you) just got a refund from this company for my order of a cool seat cover. John is no longer selling this item. He says that they work well, but Thai clientele are not interested, only farang, so the market is too small to continue this item. Too bad.

Riding a motorbike in shorts; great idea. wink.png

Winnie, have you seen the test results for abrasion resistance of various materials during a bike fall/drag? (See "Motorcyclist" magazine for details)

Jeans lasted almost 2 seconds before disintegrating. Chinos blew out even faster. If it ain't Kevlar or leather, the only protection you get is peace of mind, not freedom from roadrash. You are no more protected in a fall wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans than if you were wearing a bathing suit. Shoes are a different story, but flip-flop won't cut it no matter what.

The bathing suit comparison is nonsense - and dangerous advice as well. Do you really think 2 seconds isn't much in a bike crash? At 90km/hr you are travelling at 25 metres per second. A couple of seconds of sliding (before disintegration of your jeans) means what? A dozen or more metres of sliding before the skin makes contact with the road sounds pretty good to me - two seconds is a long time in an accident, when the world immediately slows to a crawl.

I was rear-ended on my bike on Bangna Trat highway a few weeks back, when I slowed to 70km/hr (short warning that the lanes were merging) and some daydreaming idiot in a loaded pickup with no brakes slammed into me at 90-100km/hr. I slid a long distance - armoured jacket and gloves, full face helmet and medium weight khaki cargo pants - and got to my feet (in an instant!) virtually unharmed, except for a tiny scrape on my leg. The trousers were torn and ruined... Afterwards, looking at the damage to the bike (some), to me (none) and to my trousers (total devastation), I didn't think to myself, "Gosh, I could have just been wearing a bathing suit..." because in the face of glaring evidence, that would have a really stupid thing to think. I'd have lost most of the skin on the left side of my left leg and spent quite a few hours, if not days longer in the hospital than I did.

Wear longs on a bike - even if they are 'only' denim.

• Like 1

Try HERE

I (as did 5 or 6 others of you) just got a refund from this company for my order of a cool seat cover. John is no longer selling this item. He says that they work well, but Thai clientele are not interested, only farang, so the market is too small to continue this item. Too bad.

Interesting... Thanks for the update. I guess I'll have to bring a couple of the thinner ones with me when we come back, and stack them. That should do the trick.

Riding a motorbike in shorts; great idea. wink.png

Winnie, have you seen the test results for abrasion resistance of various materials during a bike fall/drag? (See "Motorcyclist" magazine for details)

Jeans lasted almost 2 seconds before disintegrating. Chinos blew out even faster. If it ain't Kevlar or leather, the only protection you get is peace of mind, not freedom from roadrash. You are no more protected in a fall wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans than if you were wearing a bathing suit. Shoes are a different story, but flip-flop won't cut it no matter what.

The bathing suit comparison is nonsense - and dangerous advice as well. ...............................SNIP.............

Wear longs on a bike - even if they are 'only' denim.

I didn't give any 'advice.' Sorry if you misinterpreted it that way.

I gave "Motorcyclist" magazine's test results. They are the ones who did the burst test.

They took 50lb cement bags and wrapped various material around them, tied a rope to them and lowered them off the back of a moving pickup truck at 50mph, then timed the interval between touching the ground and bursting of the sack through the material. Chinos and jeans disintegrated almost immediately. Cordura lasted just a couple of second more. As they discovered in the test, the only thing that will protect you in a slid is either Kevlar, leather, or armor. Jeans or Chinos only bring piece of mind.

Anyone who's ridden enough has gone off a few times. Or more. Sometimes you get roadrash and sometimes you don't. In the fall you related, you got lucky. I've had a few falls where I got lucky and a few where I didn't. Let's hope our future luck always holds, right?

• Like 1

Try HERE

Interesting... Thanks for the update. I guess I'll have to bring a couple of the thinner ones with me when we come back, and stack them. That should do the trick.

I have found a supplier in Hat Yai who handles the cool vent seat, although it appears that there is only black. Check out this site: http://www.mocyc-coolseat.in.th/ They are also on Facebook.

I find a quick, cheap and easy way is to simply use a hand towel from home

You can use it dry or if the mood takes you, wander into a 7/11 or Mom and Pop shop and but a small bottle of cold water.

Drink some water and pour the rest over the towel. It is also handy when walking around.

People laugh at me as I look stupid but I am the one who is cool.

That was my usual method (or a folded sarong) but I was looking for something a bit handier. I still pour the water over myself before I start to ride. The evaporation is almost chilling!

Have you tried a cooling vest or a cooling neck wrap?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/cooling-vests/

Cooling Vests are becoming

the must have item for summer or whenever heat stress is an

issue.

Retail Price from $220.00

Will stay cold for up to 2 hours.

Total about 6,380 baht plus postage.

Towel 50 baht. cold water 6 baht. More cold water 6 baht.

Ebay from 40$, Joe Rockets available from $30, most expensive from Ebay $119 for up to 8 hours. God knows where you get your information from.

I bought from http://www.mocyc-coolseat.in.th/ and it works well. Was 200 baht.

I have found a supplier in Hat Yai who handles the cool vent seat, although it appears that there is only black. Check out this site: http://www.mocyc-coolseat.in.th/ They are also on Facebook.

That looks much better than the square type I have in local bike shops here. Thanks for the links.

Jeans or Chinos only bring piece of mind.

They have have brought us a piece of your mind, FolkGuitar . . . but otherwise no peace of mind at all. smile.png

No, not in a slide, that's for sure. I usually wear a pair of 'Tour Master' overpants, with hard armor in the knees and soft armor over the hips when touring here or in Europe. I doubt I'll wear the insulated liners in Thailand, and to be honest, I probably won't even put them on for runs to Rimping or Kad Suan Keaw. But when we go out for day or weekend rides, you can be sure they'll be on. I like to cover what I can't replace. But at the same time, I have to realize that often that coverage isn't coverage at all, just camouflage.

There are many things you can do, first and most obvious is parking in a shaded area, (always consider where the sun is moving, should you be parked up for any length of time). If there's no shade you can either carry a silver cover under your seat (the blackout blind is brill and the curtain shop will knock one up for 100-150bt), and the last measure is to pop the seat up and turn the bike so under-seat is facing the sun, downside is someone may come along and close it for you, plus your fuel is exposed for thieves.

More permanent measures - get your seat re-covered using a metallic Ironing-board cloth (200bt in Tesco) upholsterers will charge about 300bt to recover and the seat stays amazingly cooler, plus it breaths better when your sitting on it, vinyl has a habit of making your ass sweat whether you've parked in the sun or not. Here's ones I've done for my ninja 250 and ninja 650

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2047584183120&set=pb.1049904731.-2207520000.1365736123&type=3&theater

• Like 1

Try HERE

totally agree! It's great for hot seats and also when it rains, it drains off rapidly. Wouldn't be without one!

Thanks for link but tried 2 different covers and both out of stock so will try again later--- they look and sound just the job for sun and rain

More permanent measures - get your seat re-covered using a metallic Ironing-board cloth (200bt in Tesco) upholsterers will charge about 300bt to recover and the seat stays amazingly cooler, plus it breaths better when your sitting on it, vinyl has a habit of making your ass sweat whether you've parked in the sun or not. Here's ones I've done for my ninja 250 and ninja 650

This is a great idea!! Thanks for suggesting it. Probably won't last as long as naugahyde, but it will help preserve the nauga population (becoming endangered, I hear) and cheap enough to recover when needed! Thanks again!

This is a great idea!! Thanks for suggesting it. Probably won't last as long as naugahyde, but it will help preserve the nauga population (becoming endangered, I hear) and cheap enough to recover when needed! Thanks again!

Alternatively, a large piece sewn to the butt area of your trousers would work wonders too for preventing butt burn.

Alternatively, a large piece sewn to the butt area of your trousers would work wonders too for preventing butt burn.

Hmmm.... I suppose that would work... if one doesn't mind looking like a Howler monkey when walking around. And always wear the same trousers every day. No disrespect intended, but I'm gonna stick with covering the bike seat with something. Saves wear and tear on my pride. wai2.gif

• Like 1

You are no more protected in a fall wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans than if you were wearing a bathing suit.

I wonder. Is it not possible that the tiny bits of shirt and trouser cotton dug into one's flesh by the grit and gravel of the road surface an instant before the latter might act as some kind of antiseptic protection against the bacteria, viruses and poisons in said grit and gravel?

No but it does make extra bits to extract from the wound.