Cars Manufactured In Thailand

Wikipedia has a comprehensive page - Automotive industry in Thailand.

I would strongly advise against buying second-hand here based on my experience, but that's another thread.

Hi Aussiebebe unfortunately my budget is not such that I can afford a second new car. I saw the article on Wikipedia but is very vague I still do not know e.g which Benz or Volvo were build in Thailand if they ever did.

Some Volvo's were manufactured in Thailand, yes, but I don't think that's really the point, as anything that's no longer on the production line very likely doesn't have a domestic parts supply anymore, so they're going to be imported + taxed anyway.

Your safe bets are going to be Thai assembled cars that sold in large volumes, e.g. Soluna, VIOS, Corolla, Camry, City, Jazz, Civic, Accord, and CR-V - even if you can't get genuine new parts, there will be plenty of used ones around - so long as you don't go too old...

Your safe bets are going to be Thai assembled cars that sold in large volumes, e.g. Soluna, VIOS, Corolla, Camry, City, Jazz, Civic, Accord, and CR-V - even if you can't get genuine new parts, there will be plenty of used ones around - so long as you don't go too old...

well that should be easy: if it is an ugly, boring car it is probably one with spare parts available.

well that should be easy: if it is an ugly, boring car it is probably one with spare parts available.

Yep. Cost of parts and lack of availability is the big reason out of production Euro cars can have such comparatively poor resale values here.

Edited by IMHO

Yep. Cost of parts and lack of availability is the big reason out of production Euro cars can have such comparatively poor resale values here.

Still they are a lot of Volvos around are they all imported?

Still they are a lot of Volvos around are they all imported?

Nope.

But they are difficult to find parts for, parts are expensive, and mechanics who understand them are thin on the ground, hence why the market prices them so comparatively low.

There's no real 'undiscovered bargains' and it's very rare to find a substantially under-valued car in the used market.. There are a few over-valued ones though ;)

Number of points here.......... but what is best ?

Thai assembled cars that sold in large volumes have a very large turn over of copy parts, even many large service centres use copy parts......

Euro cars, small volume so most would only be genuine parts = a lot more expensive

A good mechanic will know what will fit what, even direct fit of a different make or small modification to fit, more and more places are selling off the shelve used parts......... do you want a genuine used part ? or a new copy part ?

​As for buying a 2nd hand car, many private or company car, Thais keep for 6 - 10 years, so many 1 owner very well maintained low mileage cars about.. have seen a few 15 + year old 1 owner cars For Sale, many low km reading and very good order, even in showroom mint condition..

• Like 1