Songkran: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

webfact

EDITORIAL
Songkran: the good, the bad and the ugly

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Can Thais learn to respect the spirit and meaning of the festival, or is it too late to save it from drunkenness, lewd behaviour, violence and road carnage?

The five-day Songkran festival begins today, with the public holiday extended into Monday and Tuesday as approved by the Cabinet. This is the time of year when people leave Bangkok and other big cities in droves for the provinces, to spend the holiday with their families or simply to go on vacation.

Songkran is the traditional Thai New Year, and is normally celebrated from April 13 to 15. April 13 is National Elderly Day and April 14 is Family Day. Thus the festival is intended as a time of celebration for family and friends. But for many people, Songkran is just "the water festival" - a chance to throw water at anyone in sight, including complete strangers, and have fun drinking and revelling all day and night.

It is also a time of year when the number of road accidents increases dramatically, with casualties throughout the country. In addition to the unacceptably high number of deaths and injuries on the roads, there are numerous cases of violence and lewd acts committed in public (mostly by male revellers) that are fuelled by alcohol. It's a sad fact that, when in holiday mood, many people turn to alcoholic drinks and, as a result, make trouble or cause problems.

The authorities have fought a losing battle over the years, attempting to reduce the number of road casualties during the Songkran period, as well as during the international New Year holiday - another time of year when there is an exodus from the big cities.

In recent years state agencies like the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and the National Institute for Emergency Medicine have collected data during the "seven dangerous days" of the Songkran holiday.

Between April 11 and 17 last year, 3,129 road accidents were recorded across the country, with 320 people killed and 3,320 injured, according to the Disaster Prevention Department. In the same period a year earlier, 3,215 road accidents were reported during the "seven dangerous days", with 271 people killed and 3,476 injured.

The top three causes of road accidents - contributing to more than 60 per cent of the casualties reported - were drunk driving, speeding and abrupt lane changes, according to data collected in the last two years by the Interior Ministry's Road Safety Directing Centre.

Motorcycles and pickup trucks have been involved in about 90 per cent of the road accidents during the Songkran festival over the past two years, according to the agency. Motorbikes made up more than 78 per cent of the vehicles involved in road accidents last year, and more than 77 per cent in 2011, compared to about 11 per cent for pickup trucks last year and 13 per cent a year earlier.

In order to reduce the number of road accidents and casualties, those major causes should be taken into consideration when measures are initiated, such as a ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks at petrol stations. In addition to strict law enforcement on the part of police and officials, drivers should take precautions to prevent accidents, and should refrain from drinking alcohol.

The authorities involved should also focus on the types of vehicle mostly involved in road accidents - motorcycles and pickup trucks. This calls for mandatory wearing of crash helmets in the case of motorcyclists and pillion riders, and safety belts in the case of pickup drivers and their passengers. These laws exist, but are seldom enforced.

Songkran helps keep Thailand on the world's tourism map. Many foreign visitors come to the Kingdom during this hottest month of year for the annual "water war" - when they have the chance to battle other people with water guns and get soaked in what should be a fun-filled festival. It's a facet of Thai culture that many tourists enjoy.

But there are both beautiful and ugly sides to Songkran. While efforts to correct the ugly side have proved futile, we as citizens of this country should focus more on promoting the beautiful side - by preserving and respecting the good traditions of the Thai New Year. Only in that way can we experience the real meaning and true spirit of Songkran.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-12

.Sadly in Chiang Mai it is the drunken farangs that do not resect the spirit of this festival. Even though there is a ban on alcohol around the moat it doesn't stop em drinking!

Perhaps you can have a word with the relevant authorities and ask them why they are ignoring the laws they're paid to enforce.

• Like 2

In this culture Thais basically do whatever they want and to prevent them from doing what they want means you are offending them. Where's the chance to to change ANYTHING during Songkran? Anyone that has had a Thai to bump into you in the MRT/BTS (where this happens the most) and then they look at you like it's you fault and YOU should appologize should understand this concept.

Hopeless situation. Discussing the possiblity of change just shows you don't understand the problem. You can always hope for change, but we hope many things that we will never get. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Songkran was fun for me as little as 5 years ago, people round our way would stop you on your motorbike put a little iced water over you, powder your face, a smile and a giggle and on your way. Now it's like world war three, I am all for a bit of fun but it's alchohol fueled bedlem.

I always used to moan at people that said Songkran was the worst time of year, but now I am begining to agree. It's just become too dangerous.

I love seeing the little kids smiles as they play all day but then a pickup passes with five male adults with bucket in one hand and whisky in the other.

I would expect Thai Visa to be busy over this period with all it's members bolted up with full fridges and crates of beer, oh well every cloud.

• Like 2

Songkran was fun for me as little as 5 years ago, people round our way would stop you on your motorbike put a little iced water over you, powder your face, a smile and a giggle and on your way. Now it's like world war three, I am all for a bit of fun but it's alchohol fueled bedlem.

I always used to moan at people that said Songkran was the worst time of year, but now I am begining to agree. It's just become too dangerous.

I love seeing the little kids smiles as they play all day but then a pickup passes with five male adults with bucket in one hand and whisky in the other.

I would expect Thai Visa to be busy over this period with all it's members bolted up with full fridges and crates of beer, oh well every cloud.

dont need songjkran to have a nice pile of boxes with beer and a filled fridge thats rule of the house here

• Like 1

.Sadly in Chiang Mai it is the drunken farangs that do not resect the spirit of this festival. Even though there is a ban on alcohol around the moat it doesn't stop em drinking!

Same in Pattaya. Doubly so, as they extend Songkran for close to 10 days.

Guys...it is what it is.

Some love it, some hate it.

But just putting out the same drivel every year, wining about how everything was so much better...way back when...<deleted>?!

• Like 1

True, it's the same story I've seen before arriving here and since, but being a newbie to living in LOS I am experiencing all this for the first time.

I experienced for the first time this past week taking a trip from BKK to Ubon Ratchatani and back. Seeing, as the passenger, how people drive here on the highway showed me what the real root problem is. Without any real driving instruction here, the style of driving is reckless to say the least, which has been discussed here ad nauseum as well.

If sober drivers are like what I saw, passing with little regard for oncoming traffic etc, it's no wonder to me that carnage occurs here every year with the addition of alcohol.

• Like 2

Since Thailand police are always trying to raise more money by various means, why don't they collect fines for violations of the drinking and driving laws, especially during Songkran. They (or the government maybe) would make some money, and the roads would be safer. They could even set up drunk driving stops in high traffic areas where people drink and drive a lot. It's not just about rarely enforcing laws, it's also a good way to increase revenues. And they should put a permanent police radar stop on Huaykaew Road in Chiang Mai. I'm so sick of listening to the sleep awakening roar of motorcycles going at over 100 miles per hour every night. Again, it's a win-win since Thailand would make a lot of money, and people would be a lot safer. The only ones hurt would be those who drink or speed excessively. I'm sure someone will poke fun at this option, but there are solutions that can be implemented that are very practical.

Not only in CM... In Pattaya same samesad.png It is not the Thai, but the (mostly tourist) farang who don't know how to behave... Ice cold water, ice cubes and aiming for motorbikes... Extremely dangerous, so I will stay inside for the most part. Fridge is stocked, movies are in house, delivery services are notified, so I can survive Songkran easilysmile.png

Nevertheless, Happy Songkran everybody wai.gif

• Like 1

What utter drivel. It's just like complaining that people in the UK don't respect the spirit and meaning of Christmas. Many complaining that Thais don't respect the spirit and meaning of Songkran don't themselves respect the spirit and meaning of festivals in their home countries. Times change, traditions change, Songkran changes. Get over it. Songkran is huge fun. Quit complaining, and join in. You might actually learn how to have some fun.

• Like 2

I guess it all depends on who you believe .... the Department with responsibility for reducing the number of road accidents at this time of the year states here that:

"between April 11 and 17 last year, 3,129 road accidents were recorded across the country, with 320 people killed and 3,320 injured" (according to the Disaster Prevention Department) ... and "In the same period a year earlier, 3,215 road accidents were reported during the "seven dangerous days", with 271 people killed and 3,476 injured".

In another TV thread today, the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand (EMIT) - those who are directly involved with clearing up the mayhem - stated that:

"the total number of people who died or were injured due to road traffic accidents over the Songkran holiday last year, in a span of just seven days between April 11 and 17, was 27,881".

How about that for massaging your performance figures....!?

Reminds me of the period of the Taksin clean-up. On one particular day - faced with accusations of slaying drug pushers - his deputy stated in a press conference that this was untrue and less than 100 had died. The following day Taksin himself (unaware of the events of the previous day) admitted that 2,000 had been killed that year. TIT.

R

• Like 1

What utter drivel. It's just like complaining that people in the UK don't respect the spirit and meaning of Christmas. Many complaining that Thais don't respect the spirit and meaning of Songkran don't themselves respect the spirit and meaning of festivals in their home countries. Times change, traditions change, Songkran changes. Get over it. Songkran is huge fun. Quit complaining, and join in. You might actually learn how to have some fun.

These articles are normally written by Thais.

• Like 1

Not only in CM... In Pattaya same samesad.png It is not the Thai, but the (mostly tourist) farang who don't know how to behave... Ice cold water, ice cubes and aiming for motorbikes... Extremely dangerous, so I will stay inside for the most part. Fridge is stocked, movies are in house, delivery services are notified, so I can survive Songkran easilysmile.png

Nevertheless, Happy Songkran everybody wai.gif

I really notice that - in general - Thais are just looking to have fun where a good number of foreign yobs are just out to annoy other people. Songkran gives them a chance to bully people while supposedly "celebrating" the holiday. mad.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Oh so happy when everyone leaves Bangkok, nice and peaceful. Also, glad there will be fewer returning. Callous I know, but if this is the best we can expect for population control than I have to be happy with it. I for one am tired of seeing poor ignorant people with 3,4,5 kids. And that goes for the religious nuts that have 8,9,10 kids.

• Like 2

Spot on !