Things To Do Around Chantaburi

johnnycthedog

Hi to those posters living east of Pattaya. Heading to Chantaburi for a week or more soon. Wife's home town. Been there before for a flying visit but many years ago. I did go up the mountains for a swim in the fish ponds but did nothing else of note.

I'm looking for suggestions for interesting places to go & things to see / do + hotels recommended by posters. I will have a car so driving around isn't a problem (and I won't be burdened by family commitments).

I have read half of the forum postings to date and got some ideas for hotels and beaches along the way (Rayong etc). But now some of the earlier posts are probably out of date.

I'm not looking to break any speed records for touristing and will just be idling along through Rayong etc.

Read a lot of posts on Ko Chang and doesn't sound my cup of tea (after spending a lot of time x visits to Phuket) - the beauty of Phiket has killed it -

So a few of your suggestions would be most welcome.

Wow this topic set the posters alight with enthusiasm.

Actually since I posted the topic a few days ago I've delved further into the previous posts and although they are 3 or 4 years old I identified some websites listed and they are good value. Added to this the assistance of the Lonely Planet I'll be OK for things to do, even if it involves a lot of eating.

So in the absence of any immediate posts this topic can probably be closed.

johnnycthedog,We have not been to Chanthaburi but are looking to head that way this summer for a month.Presently retired in Korat but looking for a change.What ever you find would be of great value to us.Please post what ever.Thanks and have a great trip.

Chanthaburi is interesting enough if you're a history or nature buff, but there's not a great deal going on especially as you've been to Pliew already.

I'd say it's an OK place to experience 'everyday' Thai life.

There are some nice roads around town if you fancy hiring a bike or car, but be warned the traffic (especially at weekends) can be deadly.

There's a few reasonable bars behind the park for regular Thai Style nightlife; a little strip of naughtier bars further down the road and down towards Robinson.

The old 'quarter' of town is mildly interesting although little of the original colonial style architecture remains.

If you're there at a weekend, Tha Mai can be a good laugh until sundown when it seems to attract every annoying drunkard in the province and you'll find yourself shaking hands more than a politician on his election campaign.

The biggest plus about living there (for me) was that it is an attractive, clean town, now with most mod-cons, which was close to nip to Ko Chang, Ko Samet, Pattaya and BKK without having to live in any of them...