Tips For Family Friendly Songkran Fun?

mccw

Had fun getting people drive by shooting style out of the car windows today. Saw airport plaza have a fair on, maybe tomorrow since it was getting late.. Temples on 14th do the flags in the sand apparently + plus the temple fair style music and Muay Thai etc in the evening but I can't remember the names, sorry

Last year I went rafting with friends out in Mae Wang, man that was so much better than playing in the city!

Even on the way out the people played in a more gentle fashion, asking trucks to slow down to his passengers at a slower speed and not trying to whip the water, they still add blocks of ice though!

Then during the ride on the rafts you wil pass large swimming areas where 1-200 people may be relaxing and splashing each other. Kids might have some pistols, but instead of shooting us in the eyes, like in town, they were much more shy to go after the lone Farang. I think there are plenty of hotels and camp sites out there, pack up the family or even invite some friends along, grab some beers and have a great holiday

I'm visiting family now in the US, and had to make a choice of either hitting Holi in Nepal on the 26th of March and then go to the US, or go to the US and come back for Songkran, I know I made the right choice, but I am jealous of those enjoying it!

Happy New Year everyone, whether you love or hate the festivities, I wish the best. Stay safe and enjoy it!

Had a great day, beside the accessional moat bucket being thrown.

I always had to keep my eyes on my 3 year old so didn't drink, it's the wife's turn today ;).

The ice cold water soon got tiresome though, can't be stopped though, I would add that it's mainly the Thais with that.

Saw my first fist fight in years of being here. Two western guys fighting because one for the others girlfriend wet.

On our walk back at 5pmish I saw a group of westerners having some bedroom action down a little side ally.

This surprised me as I've never seen that in broad day light in Thailand, kinda reminded me of my days in Cyprus.

The whole day was kinda surreal in that respect with the other westerners.

I'm visiting family now in the US, and had to make a choice of either hitting Holi in Nepal on the 26th of March and then go to the US, or go to the US and come back for Songkran

Those potent marijuana milk shakes are only legal during the Holi holiday.

How's the "no alcohol around the moat" thing going? I don't care as no booze for me this year due to needing my wits about me with take care my boys 3 and 5; but I wondered really what the point of all the banners was; excuse for some pigs to extort money from people or what.

Going to brave the tapae gate today, meeting some friends. If I can find any car park. If not then it will be central Kad

I'm visiting family now in the US, and had to make a choice of either hitting Holi in Nepal on the 26th of March and then go to the US, or go to the US and come back for Songkran

Those potent marijuana milk shakes are only legal during the Holi holiday.

Didn't see any shakes, but we met up with some local guys in their 20's, had a blast, drank a ton of homemade rice beer, and had some local vegetation haha. Sadly it was a drought year, so the festival was not as big as I was hoping for, but fun none the less. Way tamer than India, and we were outside of Kathmandu in Bhaktapur because it's cleaner there. Still worth it!

Last year I went rafting with friends out in Mae Wang, man that was so much better than playing in the city!

Even on the way out the people played in a more gentle fashion, asking trucks to slow down to his passengers at a slower speed and not trying to whip the water, they still add blocks of ice though!

Then during the ride on the rafts you wil pass large swimming areas where 1-200 people may be relaxing and splashing each other. Kids might have some pistols, but instead of shooting us in the eyes, like in town, they were much more shy to go after the lone Farang. I think there are plenty of hotels and camp sites out there, pack up the family or even invite some friends along, grab some beers and have a great holiday

I'm visiting family now in the US, and had to make a choice of either hitting Holi in Nepal on the 26th of March and then go to the US, or go to the US and come back for Songkran, I know I made the right choice, but I am jealous of those enjoying it!

Happy New Year everyone, whether you love or hate the festivities, I wish the best. Stay safe and enjoy it!

If you are close to the Thompson river in British Columbia Canada. Cross over the border and make your way to the Thompson river, Great white water rafting and there is always water fights between the rafts you will encounter. Not that it matters in white water rafting you do not stay dry unless you have a rain slicker on or a wet suit.

Good day. People on the most part careful not to over splash the little ones. Very good natured. No complaints about Thais or falang

Same here, first time I have been in the City with the kids for a few years and found the whole atmosphere very friendly and actually better than in previous years that I bothered venturing into the city.

Very dry this time of the year, so many of the waterfalls won't have too much water.

Have you been to Ob Khan Gorge yet? That's much closer by, it's a river flowing through a gorge/canyon, no national park fee, and popular with local families for a Songkran splash. Clean water too, of course. (Well, as clean as any rural mountain stream / river)

I personally prefer Doi Inthanon in the rainy season; much greener, and better views. (Haze is a lot better now than in was, but in a month or two it'll be super clear)

• Like 1

It's this turn: (Can zoom out to see the top-down map location) : http://goo.gl/maps/jaDzt

A landmark is this weird tower, though there are signs also. : http://goo.gl/maps/bYAhk

Then you keep going for a really long time, first around the mental hospital here: http://goo.gl/maps/bko4x and then just keep going, this is as far as Google went, but it's a bit further, still: http://goo.gl/maps/8I97P Again there are signs to get you into the national park area proper. (You may have to register, but there is no fee charged)

This being Songkran, there will be many vendors set up selling som tam and chicken and all that. And many families lounging next to the river. Not sure how busy it will get, but can't hurt to go a bit early. You can also hike along the gorge (and then climb down in places) :

ob-khan-1.jpg

ob_khan.jpg

With kids though you'd likely stick to the shallow river area.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

How's the "no alcohol around the moat" thing going? I don't care as no booze for me this year due to needing my wits about me with take care my boys 3 and 5; but I wondered really what the point of all the banners was; excuse for some pigs to extort money from people or what.

Going to brave the tapae gate today, meeting some friends. If I can find any car park. If not then it will be central Kad

Are you walking around with the kids? Or on a pick up? Wondering because we spent some time with my 5 year old near central KSK and it quickly got too much for him, too much ice water, and he was intimidated by the loud music and all the goings on there. Maybe better to move I guess? Anyway he was cold and miserable so we left.

Edited by nikster

Are you walking around with the kids? Or on a pick up? Wondering because we spent some time with my 5 year old near central KSK and it quickly got too much for him, too much ice water, and he was intimidated by the loud music and all the goings on there. Maybe better to move I guess? Anyway he was cold and miserable so we left.

Yeah, that's always a challenge. We were with a friend's 5 year old today, and she was quite the trooper, outside of one of the quieter Loi Kroh bars. (Still getting quite some traffic of course). But yes, it can very quickly get too massive, or too cold. There's no real way around that, other than organizing your own kids-Songkran in a private garden.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I had great fun at home. Didn't have to watch the drunken farangs around the moat. Stayed dry. Looking at the filth on my white car I can see just how dirty this water is that they're chucking around.

I had great fun at home. Didn't have to watch the drunken farangs around the moat. Stayed dry. Looking at the filth on my white car I can see just how dirty this water is that they're chucking around.

Because it's clearly much more fun to stay at home and look at my car than to join the biggest water festival in the world...

Each to their own...

:P

• Like 2

Heh, I went home around 5:30pm or so, had some food, showered, changed and went back out. 8pm they were still at it, though dancing more than watery fun.. was able to take the vid, nobody threw water at me, even there at Farang Ground Zero. Love Chiang Mai.

Will post the video when Youtube is done with it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

With my boys 3 and 5 years old. Drive in by car; park and walk a bit. 30 min or an hour if cold and tired retreat back to the car equipped with towls, dry clothes, etc head home or change location. Plenty place to still get a dry coffee or food; time out and recharge. Went to KSK Sunday wich was ok but the music went from quite fun kinda thsi ska to the terrible soft rock so we left. My kids love fun music like the dance music over round tapear but soon get grump if turns rubbish. St tapear on Saturday they lead me in to the thick of the bubble machines and jumping around with all the ravers in front of the speakers. 10 minutes and the heavens opened wich cut all the music though do good time for call it a day. The had a good little bop to the DnB inside THC bar before that though and plenty of splashing on the way to get there from car park. No problems with noise of over zealous splashing even in the thick of it.

• Like 1

The splashs from the backs of trucks, especially ice water ones are the most danger. I put the kids caps on low over thier eyes so protected- I think if not cap like that then maybe tears on the cards since the smallest don't like splash on eyes when swim or bath even. I carried him most of the way walking as well so I could turn my back on any big slashes

• Like 1

The splashs from the backs of trucks, especially ice water ones are the most danger. I put the kids caps on low over thier eyes so protected- I think if not cap like that then maybe tears on the cards since the smallest don't like splash on eyes when swim or bath even. I carried him most of the way walking as well so I could turn my back on any big slashes

Right.. my choice though is to not let my kids play in areas where there are trucks. Soon my oldest will be old enough to actually join a truck around town, but while they're small I pick more controlled locations. (Small sois, etc.)

So anyway, I appreciate this is not everyone's cup of tea, especially not in the TV demographic, but people enjoyed themselves. The party later moved from here (Loy Kroh) to the Reggae Area (Zoe, etc.). thumbsup.gif

==> Hehe although this video is a great example of how it's impossible to find good dance music in Chiang Mai; CM is a big city on many fronts, but dance music for some reason.... ugh! Same old cr**p, playing the Ibiza hits from 2011 that weren't all that good to start with but have become really stale since... yellow particularly, I always wonder why they have DJs if they keep playing the same songs from the last 2 years...

/rant

• Like 1