Milky Mushroom (Calocybe Indica) Cultivation.

Packdee

Colonel, these mushrooms are spectacular. Thanks for your assistance I am really looking forward to getting started.

To my follow members, get into this topic. If you ever wanted to try mushroom farming but language was an issue, then fear not, here is your chance. Come on guys, over 200 views and I am the only one to say hello?

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Under way withthe Milkymushrooms here. First grow bags made up and now waiting to see what happens. Thanks Col. Packdee for the spawn seed. For others out there I can recommend the Colonel and his products, excellent source to deal with. My spawn seeds were delivered to the door here in perfect condition.

• Like 1

Hello Col. Pakdee,

What a coincidence! IsaanAussie suggested I look at a thread about "milky" so I just did. But I actually found you (anonbiotech) a few days ago when I was looking for the TMCC (Thailand Mushroom Culture Collection). My farm is on the Bolaven Plateau in southern Laos at an elevation of 1200 meters. It is cool (average 19.5C) throughout the year, so I'll be doing cool climate mushrooms that are not easily done in Thailand. But I have family in Vientiane, so I'm interested in these "milky." I'm just saying hello at the moment, and thank you for contributing.

Hello Packdee,

Yes, the climate (19.5C average temp) is very good for shiitake. With 3.5 meters of rain each year, it is also very wet. But I am just a beginner, so I'm going to start with king oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii). They also like the cooler temperature. I will begin doing trials with sawdust soon, but I hope to use coffee pulp after this year's harvest (I have a lease on a small coffee plantation). Can you provide more information about your farmstay in Saraburi?

@rice555,

I am not a member of MST directly.
In 1973, while Dr. Anon Auetragul (http://anonbiotec.gratis-foros.com/t491-topic) was a fourth year under-graduate student in Kasetsart Universcity he and his friends founded the Mushroom Club, then in 1977 became MST. Dr.Anon was voted to be the president of MST for many times.

I got training from Dr. Anon in 1974 when I was Sergeant (E5) and once again in 2008 when I reired from Army as a Colonel.
Now Dr.Anon still arrange the training in Thai version every the other month and in English every four months.
http://www.anonbiotec.com/eng/straw_traning.html#

farmstay.jpg

@MrOdyssey,

I have a 4-room guest house and a LAB with necessary equipment for doing mushroom cultivation from cloning mushroom to preparing the substrate bags, no tutor fee, only 700 B. a night for the Air-con room and 500 B. for fan room.
The guests can clone the mushroom, prepare grain spawn, make substrate bags, pasteurize, inoculate and bring back home the ready inoculated substrate bags as much as they need with reasonable price.

Edited by Packdee
  • Like 2

I am having fun with this mushroom growing. After years learning about composting, this is surprisingly similar. I have tried many different substrate materials and combinations and so far none look like being dudds. Now two weeks in and the first bags are well colonised and should be ready to case within the next week. And yes you guessed it, there is even a place for my EM. I have inoculated bags with my compost without pasteurising it and to date not contamination and the spawn run is good.

I am bulk pasteurising the straw and other substrates in a 50litre drum on a gas burner and that is very efficient. The bottle at about 1/2 full lasted close to the two weeks. I fiddled about with a rocket stove burner but it needed constant attention.

I have made up some casing materials using another two of my favourite resources, compost and rice hull biochar. and of course an added dash of EM.

My theory is simple. Pasteurising reduces the population of harmful microbes to give the mycelium a head start. LAB is a sterilising agent that does the same thing. So if the spawn is happy in a clean environment and can co-exist with the LAB, maybe I need to pasteurise less.

Of course it could still all go pear shaped so time will tell.

Thanks to Col Packdee for the spawn seed and for his input and support for what we are doing.

dsc02299m.jpg

dsc02304b.jpg

Few days ago I was informed that three flushes of Hed Teen Rad (Rhino feet mushroom) were found in suburb of Korat.

Yesterday I rushed to get a specimen for cloning.

I took a small musroom (in second picture) between the larger two mushrooms (in first picture).

I will update the progress of growing this strain.

dsc02332ph.jpg

Day 7 of this wild Tricholoma Crassum tisuue culture.

• Like 2

I am new to the forums as a member but have been reading for years.

I love your pics and the mushrooms that you all grow. I am an avid gardner and have always loved science, so mushrooms are perfect for me.

Thanks for sharing packdee.

I will be asking a lot of questions in the future. My methods of mycology are nothing unique but have learned a few techniques to do things cheaply, but still never as cheap as a lot of local farmers seem to do. Funny how most commercial farmers in the west wouldn't get the yield ratios as a lot of these low tech guys seem to.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we delivered some milky mushrooms in town and decided to try the local market for potential points of sale. There was a lot of comments about the mushroom being dangerous to eat. It was all in Thai so I didn't get the details but since the Milky is new to this country and this area I can only assume it was being mistaken for something else. Anyone have any idea what this other mushroom might be? Or what the issue is? Something about nursing mothers who eat this mystery mushroom.

We are at that point where everyone has "helped" us get sales started so now it is a matter of developing steady sales to people we do not know. This factor may mean we cannot sell the Milkys around here. So a proceed or change decision is needed quickly. I admit to being a bit at a loss.

Edited by IsaanAussie