Milky Mushroom (Calocybe Indica) Cultivation.

Packdee

post-91921-14005927187159_thumb.jpgpost-91921-1400592732275_thumb.jpg

Delivery of the substrate bags arrived today. 520 bags from 12 bottles of grain spawn.

Settling down for the 6 week wait.

Bought a 20thb thermometer to give an estimated gauge on temperature... Good enough for me as long as its within 25 to 35 degrees centigrade.

Quick qn: anything else I can do to improve?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just read this thread.

Thank you Packdee for the information.

A shame so many photos you posted in your explanations do not display.

The Thai girl wants to grow mushrooms and do it commercially.

Are these easier to grow than other mushrooms?

What kind of building do I need to construct for growing these (size and materials)?

The Thai girl is living in Bangkok at the moment so Chantaburi is not too far to come for lessons and to order some spawn.

• 9 months later...

IsaanAussie or anyone else if you are out there it would be really good if you could give us an update on your mushroom biz.

I have a nephew who wants to give up his Bangkok job and has his own ideas of growing mushrooms but I could do with more info from the likes of you before funding him.

I think he could get the hang of growing them ok but do they sell in decent quantities. That's usually the stumbling block with all these projects.

• 2 weeks later...

IsaanAussie or anyone else if you are out there it would be really good if you could give us an update on your mushroom biz.

I have a nephew who wants to give up his Bangkok job and has his own ideas of growing mushrooms but I could do with more info from the likes of you before funding him.

I think he could get the hang of growing them ok but do they sell in decent quantities. That's usually the stumbling block with all these projects.

You got it in one Somo. Easy enough to grow but finding and developing a market is time consuming. I have been out of it for 2 years, back in Oz so not current. But if your nephew is thinking of replacing a BKK income with mushroom proceeds he will find it hard IMHO. As a supplemental income, maybe. Initial investment to grow enough to test the market can be small. You know the rest, hard work and persistence. Would I fund it? No!

You got it in one Somo. Easy enough to grow but finding and developing a market is time consuming. I have been out of it for 2 years, back in Oz so not current. But if your nephew is thinking of replacing a BKK income with mushroom proceeds he will find it hard IMHO. As a supplemental income, maybe. Initial investment to grow enough to test the market can be small. You know the rest, hard work and persistence. Would I fund it? No!

Thanks for the info IA. I will push him to look for outlets first. Having said that I am only looking to buy a small plot of land at the back of my house that already has a suitable building on it for about 60k. Add in unforseen stuff and total outlay 80 - 100k If he can earn 7-10k/month that would be fine. Doable??

Thanks for the info IA. I will push him to look for outlets first. Having said that I am only looking to buy a small plot of land at the back of my house that already has a suitable building on it for about 60k. Add in unforseen stuff and total outlay 80 - 100k If he can earn 7-10k/month that would be fine. Doable??

Doable? I suppose so. Assume a selling price of 100baht/kg he would have to produce 100kg per month or say harvest and sell 3 kg every day. That is a lot of mushrooms and beds or bags in progress. I worked on an eight bed rotational system, with each bed containing 60 12inch bags. One bed being replaced each week which took 2 days to do just that much. My output was about 3 kg per day at best.

• Like 1

Doable? I suppose so. Assume a selling price of 100baht/kg he would have to produce 100kg per month or say harvest and sell 3 kg every day. That is a lot of mushrooms and beds or bags in progress. I worked on an eight bed rotational system, with each bed containing 60 12inch bags. One bed being replaced each week which took 2 days to do just that much. My output was about 3 kg per day at best.

Thanks for the info IA a real help.

One last question (well maybe not the last but near to) How much time did it take you (on your own) to grow that amount. Did it take up most of your time or were you able to do other things as well. The reason I ask is that my young brother in law (mistakenly called him nephew before) will have other things to do that can also add to his income if the mushrooms are not a full time thing. For example a rice machine will add an income of around 10k/month but not ifhe is working all day with the mushrooms.

No, not full time. Just a part of the total daily chores. But other things such as compost and biochar had to be made, straw and rice hulls obtained and prepared. These were used for other things as well and the spent substrate and casing were recycled. Of course there was always the pigs to be taken care of.

No, not full time. Just a part of the total daily chores. But other things such as compost and biochar had to be made, straw and rice hulls obtained and prepared. These were used for other things as well and the spent substrate and casing were recycled. Of course there was always the pigs to be taken care of.

Thanks for that. If we get the rice machine that will earn a little money and provide rice hulls. He is a great worker so if 3 days a week on mushrooms, some on the machine and growing other crops ( we have about 3 rai spare) we should be at least self sufficient in most things and have some cash left over. Our main thing is cassava ( he can also work with that) which gives us a good living but I want him to be able to earn his keep. His wife is an accountant of sorts so has a basic understanding of business which is what is normally the downfall of most enterprises.

Thanks for that. If we get the rice machine that will earn a little money and provide rice hulls. He is a great worker so if 3 days a week on mushrooms, some on the machine and growing other crops ( we have about 3 rai spare) we should be at least self sufficient in most things and have some cash left over. Our main thing is cassava ( he can also work with that) which gives us a good living but I want him to be able to earn his keep. His wife is an accountant of sorts so has a basic understanding of business which is what is normally the downfall of most enterprises.

Now you are talking my language. The rice mill will give you bran and broken rice as well, both good feed ingredients.Couple those with cassava and you have the basis to produce animal feeds with little external costs. The cassava leaves are also good feed materials and the waste stalks can be used in the mushroom substrate. Of course the reject mushrooms have good nutrient value as well. Well on the way to becoming an "organic feed" supplier as well as the mushroom grower.

IA

A question out of interest. What did you do with the "Spent Bags" after they were done. Did you compost them or work them into a field after?

I composted most of them. I did occasionally use some that still viable fungal mass to start new mass beds and bags. Yield is usually not as good but it works.

• 1 year later...

Hello Colonel Packdee  -  Enquiry Milky Mushroom

My wife Jit wants to grow Milky mushrooms. We are interested

in Milky mushrooms seeds.

They sell this seeds ?

What does the milky seeds cost per bag ?

Please send us your phone number. Thank you

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/23/2017 at 3:14 PM, Norby said:

Hello Colonel Packdee  -  Enquiry Milky Mushroom

My wife Jit wants to grow Milky mushrooms. We are interested

in Milky mushrooms seeds.

They sell this seeds ?

What does the milky seeds cost per bag ?

Please send us your phone number. Thank you

Hello, have you been successful ?