The Best Belgian Beers Available In Thailand!

Hello fellow expats,

Are you tired of sipping on a bland local beer, which only grows more tasteless the more the ice melts and mixes with the “beer” in your glass?

Do you think a good beer should be robust, have a rich aroma and a spicy aftertaste?

Do you agree that none of the commonly available beers in Thailand match this description?

Then we might have the perfect thing for you!

A Thai companion and I are planning to make the richest and finest Belgian specialty beers available for sale in the Land of Smiles. We can directly ship a wide variety of beer brands and types and sell them for home consumption, packed in cases of 24. Perfect to share with friends who are unfamiliar to “the real deal” or to store in your fridge and indulge yourself every time you open up another bottle in your well-earned personal time.

At the moment we are investigating whether there is demand for Belgian beers in Thailand and what brands and types are most desired among you expats. To answer these questions we need your help and would kindly like to ask you 5 minutes of your time to fill in a short questionnaire which can be accessed through the following link:

www.thesistools.com/web/?id=335540

We will try everything we can to sell the beer against a fair price, despite the high transportation costs, import tariffs and legal requirements. Also, we will take the utmost care in ensuring that the beer you purchase in Thailand is no less fresh than the beer you would have purchased in the country of origin.

We hope you are just as excited about this as we are and appreciate your time and help. If you have any remaining questions, feel free to post them or send me a pm.

Best regards and cheers!

Etiënne (aka KhonChaidee)

P.S. This topic has been approved by George and Raro. Please do not delete topic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a fellow Belgian i can only support youre initiative but i think youre a little bit too late with youre bussines concept because there are already other companys such as belgian beverage asia co ltd importing Belgiums finest beers a simple google search would already have saved you a lot of money and trouble .

• Like 1

As a fellow Belgian i can only support youre initiative but i think youre a little bit too late with youre bussines concept because there are already other companys such as belgian beverage asia co ltd importing Belgiums finest beers a simple google search would already have saved you a lot of money and trouble .

and as a side note the company i named in my post is run by a chinese thai family and i dont think they would appreciate to much competition from foreigners just rember who runs this country.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am familiar with the company you are speaking of. However, their selection is different and their marketing approach differs as well. For example, we are also exporting glassware and targeting different segments. Moreover, why should we grant a company a monopolistic right in a largely unstaturated market?

We are passionate in living up to our goals and will provide our customers with the best service we can

• Like 2

and as a side note the company i named in my post is run by a chinese thai family and i dont think they would appreciate to much competition from foreigners just rember who runs this country.

Appreciate the concerns. The sales in Thailand are done mainly through my Thai companion, a well-versed and educated mate of mine whom I know from the Thai university where I did my exchange study. He understands the market and the legal system.

More competition results into differentiation by prices, service, or quality. Even though it will make things more difficult for us, the fact that there already are competitors in this market should be considered beneficial to our target group.

one of the most successful booze distributors in thailand is run by an english chap, thats all I will say - my advice is quietly become successful.. tell everyone and you'll get screwed sooner or later. An understanding of the thai 'legal' system doesnt mean u can just import / pay the 'correct' duty costs .. there are two things you need in order to start selling booze, a good contact in Customs is one

As a hobby brewer I thought about opening a microbrewery in thailand - in this climate a 'classic' Belgian beer might not sell well, just my opinion.

Edited by fish fingers

You missed the bus.

Even Khon Kaen is flooded with these overpriced Belgium beers now and the accompanying glasses! The concept in Thailand is flawed at the prices charged similar to good imported wine.And the competition is a lot more than just your "friends"

Good luck with your investment though.

You missed the bus.

Even Khon Kaen is flooded with these overpriced Belgium beers now and the accompanying glasses! The concept in Thailand is flawed at the prices charged similar to good imported wine.And the competition is a lot more than just your "friends"

Lets hope that Chinese family doesn't find out.

one of the most successful booze distributors in thailand is run by an english chap, thats all I will say - my advice is quietly become successful.. tell everyone and you'll get screwed sooner or later

another thing is, an understanding of the 'legal' system doesnt mean u can just import / pay the 'correct' duty costs .. there are two things you need in order to start selling booze, a good contact in Customs is one

As a hobby brewer I thought about opening a microbrewery last yr - in this climate a 'classic' Belgian beer might not sell well, just my opinion.

Duly noted!

I don't want to position Belgian beer as a "chug down as much and fast as you can" kind of beer. It is too expensive and too refined for that. Personally, I enjoy a good Belgian beer anywhere in the world, as long as I can free up enough time to enjoy it. It remains a personal preference though, hence the questionnaire smile.png

• Like 1

You missed the bus.

If you call 100-110 THB for a bottle of Leffe overpriced, then I'm afraid there's not much I can do to convince you..

Edited by KhonChaidee
  • Like 1

You missed the bus.

If you call 100-110 THB for a bottle of Leffe overpriced, then I'm afraid there's not much I can do to convince you..

Interesting...........at that price,but i know with the import tax and "other taxes" if you try to avoid it,that your selling price is impossible.

one of the most successful booze distributors in thailand is run by an english chap, thats all I will say - my advice is quietly become successful.. tell everyone and you'll get screwed sooner or later

another thing is, an understanding of the 'legal' system doesnt mean u can just import / pay the 'correct' duty costs .. there are two things you need in order to start selling booze, a good contact in Customs is one

As a hobby brewer I thought about opening a microbrewery last yr - in this climate a 'classic' Belgian beer might not sell well, just my opinion.

Duly noted!

I don't want to position Belgian beer as a "chug down as much and fast as you can" kind of beer. It is too expensive and too refined for that. Personally, I enjoy a good Belgian beer anywhere in the world, as long as I can free up enough time to enjoy it. It remains a personal preference though, hence the questionnaire smile.png

With all your best intentions mate YOU cannot position Belgium beer ...the price will position it as has happened already....you said "it is too expensive and too refined for that"...yet before you said 100 baht a bottle?? make your mind up as Heineken is about 80 to 100 baht a bottle BIG in most places here.

I just don't think Leffe works with the thai climate.. I wouldnt want to drink it unless inside an air-conditioned bar

something like Hoegaarden certainly does and is v popular with the 'Thong Lo / Ekamai' set

Peroni is going to enter the market v soon in a big way and it will be the premium bottled beer

Edited by fish fingers

Duly noted!

With all your best intentions mate YOU cannot position Belgium beer ...the price will position it as has happened already....you said "it is too expensive and too refined for that"...yet before you said 100 baht a bottle?? make your mind up as Heineken is about 80 to 100 baht a bottle BIG in most places here.

The sales price for a full case with 24 bottles for home consumption will be priced at that range, as mentioned in the questionnaire (2,500-2,900 baht, depending on the brand). Smaller quantities for home consumption or consumption outdoors will (unfortunately) be priced higher.

I'm trying to keep the price this low in order to make the beer affordable for people wanting to enjoy their beers at home and I'm not expecting these beers to be sold at bars/restaurants for this price..

Out of interest to the topic how much is a bottle of Leffe sold for in Belgium nowadays? you are saying you can get it imported and sell it for 100 baht yes? that is about 3 euro...last time i was in Lille i think i paid about 5 euro and that was maybe 7-8 year ago.

How big a bottle 500 mils!

Not having ago just being realistic,as i do like Belgium beers.

Out of interest to the topic how much is a bottle of Leffe sold for in Belgium nowadays? you are saying you can get it imported and sell it for 100 baht yes? that is about 3 euro...last time i was in Lille i think i paid about 5 euro and that was maybe 7-8 year ago.

How big a bottle 500 mils!

Not having ago just being realistic,as i do like Belgium beers.

Retail price would be no more than 1 euro (40 baht) for a 33cl bottle.. Unfortunately, incredibly high Thai import tariffs chop off the majority of the profit potential crying.gif

Edited by KhonChaidee

You missed the bus.

Interesting...........at that price,but i know with the import tax and "other taxes" if you try to avoid it,that your selling price is impossible.

Leffe is sold at that price in big C

does Leffe already sell in thai supermarkets i.e. Central?

Leffe, Hoegaarden, Duvel, Stella and a few other I think are sold at Big C Extra.

If I recall correctly Leffe at 110 Baht, Stella at 89 Baht.

Geuze Kriek would be a cracker for the Thai market.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

You missed the bus.

Exactly!! and big c only sell to the home consumer...do you think the op can compete withe big c's buyers?

Edited by MrRed

P.S. This topic has been approved by George and Raro. Please do not delete topic.

whistling.gif

Yeah it was deleted once, as it might be considered a form of commercial advertising, rather than research. However, I kindly asked the support of the admins prior to posting and they were kind enough to offer me the green light. Guess not all admins were up to date on that.

Big thanks to those guys though!

Edited by KhonChaidee

whistling.gif

Yeah it was deleted once, as it is a form of commercial advertising. However, I kindly asked the support of the admins prior to posting and they were kind enough to offer me the green light. Guess not all admins were up to date on that.

Big thanks to those guys though!

Good to know for future reference,i thought the policy was you had to be a sponsor to advertise on thai visa.

I wish you all the best in your venture.

Exactly!! and big c only sell to the home consumer...do you think the op can compete withe big c's buyers?

The point is that you said that it would be impossible to sell it at that price as it cost more in Europe. I only proved you that it is possible, and I doubt that Big C imports it theirselves.

We are speaking about 1 or 2 brands here. The selection I can offer is a lot wider AND I can sell glassware, engage in promotional offers, make home deliveries and handle special requests...

Furthermore, direct consumer sales are not my only target. So in some way, yes I do biggrin.png

:whistling:

After going to Thailand for over twenty years and married with a Thai woman for ten years i must confess that i am a member of many Belgian/Thailand forums and blogs and almost every other week theres some guy who comes a long with some brilliant bussiness idea to make cash in Thailand so this not unique to thai visa.

He I seems like a nice chap uni educated in Belgium and Thailand but is missing a lot of life experience and seems a little full of himself.

But then again who am i to judge if he wants to burn a big hole in his pocket.