Youngsters Learn From Japan How To Care For Environment

Lite Beer

Youngsters learn from Japan how to care for environment
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation on Sunday

30204032-01_big.jpg
Youngsters enjoyed learning about how they can protect the environment on an educational field trip to Japan.

BANGKOK: -- Children from three schools got the chance to learn first-hand how the Japanese take care of their environment. This field trip came as an award for their submissions in the 8th Stop Global Warming project, which was sponsored by Toyota Motor Thailand (TMT) and the Thailand Environment Institute (TEI).

Mae Hong Son's Khunyuamwittaya School, Bangkok's Christian College and Debsirin Chiang Mai School won the top prizes.

The first-prize winner came up with a variety of environmental initiatives comprising increasing green space, designing a sustainable travelling project, making energy usage more efficient, offering a competition for cutting down on energy usage and reducing waste.

Ausa Kaewtiwang, a student from Khunyuamwittaya School, said that though creating the project was tiring, she felt energised now that her school has won the first prize.

She said the trip to Japan was good because she got to see how people there protected their environment and worked towards keeping carbon dioxide emissions low by doing things like riding their bicycle to work or school.

She said she would continue developing the project and share the knowledge with her juniors as well as the community.

"This field trip has taught me what I can do to care for the environment in my hometown, so it becomes a role model for neighbouring communities," she said.

The project that won the second prize helps cut down on waste disposal and promotes garbage separation, while the third-prize winner promotes reduced energy consumption, monitored energy leakage as well as a campaign to restrict plastic-bag usage in school.

Sasikarn Leeratsirikul from the Debsirin Chiang Mai School said that during her visit to the Toyota Shirakawa-go Eco-Institute she learned how energy can be saved via things such as fuel cells and the protection of forests. She said her late-night trek through the forest taught her many things about nature. Plus, she got to experience how energy usage among cars, humans and homes can be harmonised at the Toyota Ecoful Town.

"I'm glad I was given a chance to visit Japan and see how they protect their environment. I will try to introduce the many good things I have learned in Japan once I return to my hometown," she said.

Sasikarn said she and her friends would work on more eco-friendly projects for her school and the other 10 Debsirin schools. Representatives from the different Debsirin schools meet every two months.

Before heading home, the students said they would not stop their efforts to protect the environment and would try to inculcate a green culture among their juniors.

Apart from the school teams, three municipalities also got a chance to go to Japan for their winning green projects.

TMT's senior vice-president Ekachai Ratanachaiwong said the company would continue hosting the Stop Global Warming project, adding that though Toyota was a private firm, it did not only focus on profits.

"We also want to contribute to society," he said.

He added that the Stop Global Warming Project debuted in 2005 with the aim of promoting environmental issues among communities.

Moreover, he wants the schools and communities participating in the network to share their knowledge with other schools and neighbouring communities in order to expand the strategy and promote national sustainable development.

To date, the project has spent more than Bt153 million on green initiatives and green workshops with 226 municipalities and 267 schools in 77 provinces nationwide.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-14

It's respectable to have an honor to learn environmental lessons from Japan.

Unfortunately, those enthusiastic youngsters will have to deal with an entire elite of money-hungry and corrupt government ministries and feudal business men, who would stop at nothing to get what they want, with all their might, even if it means committing under the table murder, and who would do anything to save their face. The other thing is, those youngsters will have to win the hearts of the other trillion brainwashed Thais to buy into environmental mindset...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 2

Kids ARE the future. Every good move starts with very small steps. I also think Toyota have taken on environmental issues seriously as a sales tool. They have reduced emissions from their vehicles substantially over the years so I would think the 'awards' may be more motivated as a PR exercise however, it is not getting much coverage other than a small write up here.

• Like 2

Kids ARE the future. Every good move starts with very small steps. I also think Toyota have taken on environmental issues seriously as a sales tool. They have reduced emissions from their vehicles substantially over the years so I would think the 'awards' may be more motivated as a PR exercise however, it is not getting much coverage other than a small write up here.

I really agree with you that kids are not only the future but every effort to help, however small is worth the effort. However, what ever is done will get the usual kicking from TV experts. Anyone have any idea how we can persuade the negative mindsets to become positive? Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 1

I really agree with you that kids are not only the future but every effort to help, however small is worth the effort. However, what ever is done will get the usual kicking from TV experts. Anyone have any idea how we can persuade the negative mindsets to become positive?
Another positive story to bring out the doom and gloom brigade. It seems for some every silver lining must have a cloud and that is just sad. Even more sad that it is so unThai to have this kind of attitude and the people who often have it act as though they understand Thailand the most.

As for the OP ... good job kids, good job Toyota and great job to all involved with the Stop Global Warming Project for opening they eyes of the youth to something worthwhile.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I really agree with you that kids are not only the future but every effort to help, however small is worth the effort. However, what ever is done will get the usual kicking from TV experts. Anyone have any idea how we can persuade the negative mindsets to become positive?
Personally I would be more positive if this was not an initiative sponsored by a major polluter of the planet. I would like to see real programmes instituted by governments committed to environmental protection, govts who not only fund projects, protect their own native fauna and flora, prosecute those who damage the environment harshly, set up proper recycling facilities, invest in clean sources of energy, but also live by their promises on the environment. This of course is not directed at the Thai govt, but all govts. Events set up by polluters as a bit of cheap PR do not impress or convince me. As a matter of interest, how did the kids get to Japan? Was there nowhere in Thailand that this event could have taken place in. But, as I say that's my personal view. Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Personally I would be more positive if this was not an initiative sponsored by a major polluter of the planet. I would like to see real programmes instituted by governments committed to environmental protection, govts who not only fund projects, protect their own native fauna and flora, prosecute those who damage the environment harshly, set up proper recycling facilities, invest in clean sources of energy, but also live by their promises on the environment. This of course is not directed at the Thai govt, but all govts. Events set up by polluters as a bit of cheap PR do not impress or convince me. As a matter of interest, how did the kids get to Japan? Was there nowhere in Thailand that this event could have taken place in. But, as I say that's my personal view.
Governments generally do the worst harm to the environment and would guess anyone involved in these things are driving cars (Toyota or not) and doing many other things that hurt the environment. I personally can think of no better folks to put money into the environment than those who harm it. As for Toyota, they produce cars and as factories go that employ people they pollute but it is the 100s of millions of drivers of these cars responsible for their emissions and not Toyota and it is the government regulations on emissions that force Toyota set emission standards that allow them to compete with others and continue to provide hundreds of thousands of people with jobs. As long as people want gas burning cars and governments allow them then I certainly cannot fault Toyota for putting money back into helping the environment.

If we are serious about repairing the damage we have done to the environment then change is required in how we behave. It will be painful and expensive and only governments can take the steps required. Profits dictate that companies such as Toyota (not only them ) will always take the band-aid approach.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Thais are scared of interfering in others' business or speaking out. This fear is instilled in them through the sub-standard, rote education system to prevent questioning authority and to discourage independent and creative thinking.

When they won't confront someone for littering in the street, or throwing rubbish out of the window of a moving train for example, what hope for major change on bigger environmental issues? I see similar disgusting behaviour on a daily basis in Thailand, yet who am I to complain? It's not my country people keep telling me, and some ignoramuses even tell me, "if you don't like it then leave." Even some foreigners join in with this muddled, low-brow thinking, possibly to ingratiate themselves with our hosts.

It's no wonder their country is a giant rubbish tip with terrible air quality.

While I agree that education is the key, these privately sponsored 'educational' exercises are only done by companies to provide positive PR and to advertise. You'd be incredibly naive to think otherwise.

Have to agree with everything Bluespunk has posted on this thread.

• Like 2

You have to somehow make it cool, and in style to support the environment. I have seen this work first hand when I didn't think it could, over my lifetime. I seriously think we have the exact opposite going in this country right now; it is cool to make tons of money, no matter what the environmental costs. That is just the mindset, plain as day.

I'd suggest Korean stars would be the best to get young Thais to support the environment. Getting some of them on board would be huge no doubt.

A long road to hoe, but the manipulation to get a country on a path to be more environmentally friendly is never an easy one.

• Like 1

Small steps, one at a a time - when you add them all up, it turns out to be some good to some degree. This transitional stage must be treated as a learning curve for everyone. Bangkok stinks - good place to start.

We must remember changing habitual lifestyle is a slow process - these consumptive traits have been passed down and inherent over generations, and re-education of the newer ones is usually at odds with the education / example setting of the nurturing older ones, sat at home. In my village, I recycle everything, and try to encourage people to stop burning, and the kids littering everywhere - I talk to the local teacher, but he's resigned to the fact that regardless of what he tries to instill in the youngsters, they are still following their role model's examples. This is a farming community, who's very livelyhood relies on environmental harmony.

The best thing we can do as overly consumptive individuals, certainly as wealthy fat people who are able to make a change, because not everyone is in the position, or has the means, or is necessarily doing much damage... Once we are prepared to accept personal responsibility for the state of the Planet's environment - because no matter how we like to appease our sense of self righteousness, and point a finger at others, we are all responsible to some degree - it's all supply and demand - a self perpetuating creation, sustained mainly by a fashionable unnecessity. This is nothing new, it's a cumulative effect of greed. The industrial complex and the all encompassing materialistic drive, inculcating positive emotive attachment to raping the finite sustaining lifeblood of our very selves, is a reflection of the human demeanour, regardless of the fact that it might be through subjugative doctrine, or capitalisation on mind from the moment we are quantifiable as material, and consumptive - the moment of conception. If all those with realisation, and the will would try to change their own particular lifestyle, instead of waiting for someone else to do something first, there can surely only be better odds for our outcome. Many of us could cut down on consumption by at least a half, and still maintain a very high quality of lifestyle, without even missing anything. Many people are actually greenwashing these days, and using recycling as a belief they are doing good, by throwing away and replacing everything with newer technology, adopting an over consumptive recyclable lifestyle, or filling up their homes with green this and that, stuff they would have never thought of buying in the first place.

All of the big environmental players receive much of their funding from the industrial machine doing the damage, which in turn who's onus falls back on us - it's a cyclic blag, to freeze us in a belief of faith based nonsensical exculpatory romanticisation that 'someone' , or some bodies (us) are doing some good against the evil polluters of the World (us) - and it's all going to be alright. Because of their own (our) selfish motives - because at the end of the day these are huge money making corporate entities themselves, and therefore their own original subjective ideals are constantly at the dictate of their compromise to their funders - relying on these big boys to change the World is not enough - they perhaps might, in time - but it will be at their own accountability to shareholders / profit.

Strange, eh ? We surround ourselves with, and gloat over these trophies - the death of our brothers, and those who would fall before us in a quest for the ultimate demise of our obese selfish selves, served by a concentration on a physical that ultimately breaks down. I would hope everyone is trying to do their bit, but in the meantime, because I know you can't really rely on anyone else at the end of the day, as much as you can rely on yourself - I will endeavour to change my life, and make it more sustainable as I see fit - helpful, and offset my footprint at the very least. I don't know if the science behind it is sound, but it feels easy to tap into your inner self, and know what's doing good, and what's not - at the end of the day, we've been here for millions of Years, and have massive intrinsic knowledge, evolved through harmony and reciprocation with this Planet. If you can do more than offset you footprint, or cut down on your consumption - then you are making a contribution for sure. Lead by example, and others will follow - and a volume of individual small changes make massive change - and the best bit is everyone has the instilled knowledge already, but for transcending this ridiculous man made doctrine.

• Like 1

Thais are scared of interfering in others' business or speaking out. This fear is instilled in them through the sub-standard, rote education system to prevent questioning authority and to discourage independent and creative thinking.

When they won't confront someone for littering in the street, or throwing rubbish out of the window of a moving train for example, what hope for major change on bigger environmental issues? I see similar disgusting behaviour on a daily basis in Thailand, yet who am I to complain? It's not my country people keep telling me, and some ignoramuses even tell me, "if you don't like it then leave." Even some foreigners join in with this muddled, low-brow thinking, possibly to ingratiate themselves with our hosts.

It's no wonder their country is a giant rubbish tip with terrible air quality.

While I agree that education is the key, these privately sponsored 'educational' exercises are only done by companies to provide positive PR and to advertise. You'd be incredibly naive to think otherwise.

Have to agree with everything Bluespunk has posted on this thread.

Thailand has grown leaps and bounds in the last decades towards improving the environment including water quality, recycling, regulations, education and air quality. In fact Bangkok is seen as a huge success and leader in Asia in terms of cleaning up its air quality. Water treatment facilities n Bangkok are also at or above European standards. Thailand has grown leaps and bounds as newly industrialized nation and it is illogical to believe any nation during this kind of industry growth hasn't done a lot of polluting but needless to say Thailand in these modern times is doing less environmental damage than most first world nations during their industrial boom.

Only to the most doom and gloomer out there can it be said Thailand is not moving in the right direction or put down Toyota for making environmental awareness efforts. It is also ignorant to say Toyota (run by people of this planet) doesn't care about the environment or isn't one of most environmental major car companies out there .... almost as ignorant to suggest all Thai people are "scared" to interfere in other people's business.

Given your views on Thai people and Thailand it is no wonder people wonder why (and possibly wish) you don't go back to your own country.

With so much beauty in Thailand and its people it always amazes me that people can live here so long and not learn the most basic concept from Thais and that is simply to enjoy life but instead it seems some people believe they must have a miserable outlook on things for them to improve but the reality is that things can always be better and people should stride to continue to make them better but not sit around complaining and seeing everything in such a negative light such as turning a story about kids who deserve praise into a negative moaning contest.

• Like 1

That's very nice they had that opportunity. Unfortunately Thailand has become a garbage dump everywhere you turn: on every secondary or major roadway construction debris, bags of garbage everywhere for mile after mile. Care for the environment is an oxymoron here!....actually it's a bunch of morons who do not care for the environment!!!

Edited by ricardofel

Personally I would be more positive if this was not an initiative sponsored by a major polluter of the planet. I would like to see real programmes instituted by governments committed to environmental protection, govts who not only fund projects, protect their own native fauna and flora, prosecute those who damage the environment harshly, set up proper recycling facilities, invest in clean sources of energy, but also live by their promises on the environment. This of course is not directed at the Thai govt, but all govts. Events set up by polluters as a bit of cheap PR do not impress or convince me. As a matter of interest, how did the kids get to Japan? Was there nowhere in Thailand that this event could have taken place in. But, as I say that's my personal view.
Bluespunk, Toyota is not the major polluter of the planet those who drive its products are, we all have the option to walk - if you have a car or motorcycle do your bit and sell it!
  • Like 1

Bluespunk, Toyota is not the major polluter of the planet those who drive its products are, we all have the option to walk - if you have a car or motorcycle do your bit and sell it!
i don't own either and never have. never learned to drive. toyota produces the product that pollutes therefore as responsible as the end user. i have no particular problem with toyota, i am just saying that if the problems we are having with the environment are not tackled at a more fundamental level, nothing will change for the better. Edited by Bluespunk

The Japanese are in no position to teach anyone how to protect the environment. For half a century the Jiminto party has used pork barrel politics to pave pristine rivers and build bridges to nowhere, and every beach in the country is strewn with litter, which they ridiculously blame on ocean currents and foreigners. Mt. Fuji is a mountain of garbage until its annual cleanup by volunteers after the hiking season. Mt. Fuji, Japan's symbol, is so bad that its application for World Heritage status was rejected.

The Japanese are in no position to teach anyone how to protect the environment. For half a century the Jiminto party has used pork barrel politics to pave pristine rivers and build bridges to nowhere, and every beach in the country is strewn with litter, which they ridiculously blame on ocean currents and foreigners. Mt. Fuji is a mountain of garbage until its annual cleanup by volunteers after the hiking season. Mt. Fuji, Japan's symbol, is so bad that its application for World Heritage status was rejected.

I think the Japanese are in a great position to teach Thailand in just about any subject I can think of. They may have had their environmental screw-ups, but that doesn't mean they don't have some great minds when it comes to this stuff, and anything else for that matter... from engineering to architecture to just about anything.

Another positive story to bring out the doom and gloom brigade. It seems for some every silver lining must have a cloud and that is just sad. Even more sad that it is so unThai to have this kind of attitude and the people who often have it act as though they understand Thailand the most.

As for the OP ... good job kids, good job Toyota and great job to all involved with the Stop Global Warming Project for opening they eyes of the youth to something worthwhile.

Are you guys joined at the waist ? I don't see any of your so called Doom and Gloom brigade here until you evoked them !

commen sense, mhhh, that is not what they teach in thailand of schools here

do not BURN garbage, do not put the forest on fire for your expensive mushrooms, put garbage in the bin and not just throw it where ever you like

basic things, that could help out the environment a lot

Are you guys joined at the waist ? I don't see any of your so called Doom and Gloom brigade here until you evoked them !

That should ,of course , read "invoke " !

Like don't build nuclear power plants near the ocean?

They use the ocean to cool the reactors. There is one in California, in between San Diego and Los Angeles. I haven't heard of any plans to move it, and I do see the area as potentially being prone to tsunamis. They do seem to have shut down one or two reactors, but NOT as a results of Japan, lol.

I don't even know my point, lol. Just that this technology is still being applied, with little or no thought even since the incident in Japan. The one good thing about the California reactors is they are a decent distance from very populated areas. I am not sure how well Japan's was "buffered" in this regard, perhaps similarly?

Edited by isawasnake