Som Tam

mrbojangles

Hi there, you culanary geniuses,

Now the mrs and i are back in the UK, we struggle to get hold of papaya for her Som Tam (i prefer to call it Pok Pok) :o

So could i ask, when you can't get hold of papaya, what do you find is the best veg to use as an alternative?

Cheers in advance

Mr BoJ

Hi there, you culanary geniuses,

Now the mrs and i are back in the UK, we struggle to get hold of papaya for her Som Tam (i prefer to call it Pok Pok) :o

So could i ask, when you can't get hold of papaya, what do you find is the best veg to use as an alternative?

Cheers in advance

Mr BoJ

Cabbage, carrot, unripe mango. Bought a recipe book in thailand and thats what they said to use in the absence of papaya

had an excellent som tam at Jomtien beach with green mango...not much nam pla either...

I was shocked to get back to Suphan and imbibe the local som tam lady's concoction (she comes around with a side car every afternoon)...

gag, hack and otherwise prostrate from poisoning... to the wife "darling, I thought that som tam was all same same???..."

she smiled in evil fashion...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

had an excellent som tam at Jomtien beach with green mango...not much nam pla either...

I was shocked to get back to Suphan and imbibe the local som tam lady's concoction (she comes around with a side car every afternoon)...

gag, hack and otherwise prostrate from poisoning... to the wife "darling, I thought that som tam was all same same???..."

Tutsi , I hop you washed yer hands before taking a leak?.................. :o

Tutsi , I hop you washed yer hands before taking a leak?.................. :o

you vile man...aren't you supposed to wash after???

As far as I am aware, you can 'som tam' many things, if you are not sure, then just give it a go.

My personal favorites are, Bean (Tam Tua), Cucumber (Tam Dtairng), unripe Banana (Tam Gluay) and unripe Mango (Tam Ma Muang). We also regularly eat a fish version called... 'tam plah'

In the past I have eaten Carrot (Tam Carrot), Hua Bua (sorry don't know the english)

totster :o

Tutsi , I hop you washed yer hands before taking a leak?.................. :D

Methinks Chons is referring to the avoidance of Helmetburn, and possibly ensuring that his manhood does not take on the pungent aroma of said dish after handling.

I always wash before and after, and sometimes at the same time.

:o

A pals wife in Ireland finds turnip or swede a good alternative

this is interesting as it begs the question...can you make som tam with any pulpy vegetable at hand? Accoutremonts such as tomatoes, chiles, nam pla are a matter of personal taste...further investigation is needed...

how about a parsnip som tam?

Just got back from the supermarket and bought some "Paw Paw" :o Never heard of it before but it looks like Papaya. Anybody used it before?

Love the stuff. Eat with palma ham and a bit of lemon/lime juice.F...ing excellent!

Just got back from the supermarket and bought some "Paw Paw" :o Never heard of it before but it looks like Papaya. Anybody used it before?

Love the stuff. Eat with palma ham and a bit of lemon/lime juice.F...ing excellent!

When I lived in SA the Papaya was called Paw Paw.

However there is also a fruit called PawPAw that is unrelated to the Papaya , also known as the Ozark Banana.

:D

Edited by chonabot

Tutsi , I hop you washed yer hands before taking a leak?.................. :D

Methinks Chons is referring to the avoidance of Helmetburn, and possibly ensuring that his manhood does not take on the pungent aroma of said dish after handling.

I always wash before and after, and sometimes at the same time.

:o

although I may be a believer in some things I am not a flagellant and do not smear disgusting concoctions on my genitals...hence no possibility of the scenario that you suggest...

We also regularly eat a fish version called... 'tam plah'

Cheers Tots

As for the Tam Plah, is that the one that has been blended :o The Mrs has brought back to the UK, 3 big bags of the stuff and it smells disgusting.

Nah... that sounds like "Plah Rah" (or "Plah Dairk" in Isaan). It is raw fish that has been fermented for about 1 year, with salt, rice husk, and after six months fruit is added.

Plah Rah is one of the key ingrediants used to make Som Tam (and many other meals from isaan).

"Tam Plah" is made the same way as Tam Malagor, but using fish instead of Papaya.

totster :D

Once i read this resceipt i think was funny :

shredded green papaya about 2 cups

fish sauce...............2 tablespoons

palm sugar...............1 1/2 tablespoons (if not available can substitute

it with regular sugar)

lime juice...............3 tablespoons

tomato (wedged)..........1/2 cups

dried shrimps............1/3 cups

peanuts..................1/4 cups

green chilli.............10 of them

fresh garlic.............5 coves

Use mortar and crush the chilli and garlic, add shrimps, continue

crushing, add sugar, continue beating with the pestle, add the papaya,

beat, beat, beat, add fish sauce, beat, beat, add lime juice, still beat,

beat, beat, add tomato, beat, beat, beat, add peanuts, beat, beat .

you may need to add either sugar, fish sauce, or lime. The final taste

on the balance between sweet, (pepper) hot, salty, and sour.

Once i read this resceipt i think was funny :

shredded green papaya about 2 cups

fish sauce...............2 tablespoons

palm sugar...............1 1/2 tablespoons (if not available can substitute

it with regular sugar)

lime juice...............3 tablespoons

tomato (wedged)..........1/2 cups

dried shrimps............1/3 cups

peanuts..................1/4 cups

green chilli.............10 of them

fresh garlic.............5 coves

Use mortar and crush the chilli and garlic, add shrimps, continue

crushing, add sugar, continue beating with the pestle, add the papaya,

beat, beat, beat, add fish sauce, beat, beat, add lime juice, still beat,

beat, beat, add tomato, beat, beat, beat, add peanuts, beat, beat .

you may need to add either sugar, fish sauce, or lime. The final taste

on the balance between sweet, (pepper) hot, salty, and sour.

Hiya simcity

This is actually a genuine Thai Som Tam my wife tells me.

They usually add carrot as well or exclude Papaya and use more carrot.

The one we are all familiar with that includes the fermented fish is a Lao/Isaan version.

As we all know most Thais prefer the Lao version for some reason.

She says the Thai one is more hygienic, tummy friendly and tastes better to a lot of Farang, again depending on what you like.

A bit more humour for you, well maybe depending on your outlook and visual memory.

I remember sitting at Chai,s old bar in the Soi 7 complex before it was altered. ( Pattaya )

We where watching the football and an English bloke said in a loud voice,

" what the f****** hel_l is that smell ? "

To a loud chorus we replied " oh it,s only the pok pok lady making some Papaya salad for the young lady to eat that,s sitting with her and pointing to them.

( they where crouched down between the bars with her tasting it as they do. )

He again said in a loud voice " what she,s going to f****** eat it ! , it smells like S*** ."

We all started laughing and someone said , yes and she,ll probably have someone like you sticking there tongue down her throat later on. :D

The expression on his face was hilarious and the way he said it, we couldn,t stop laughing at him for some time.

The drink just made it funnier than usual as you will appreciate.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags