Hotel Complaints. Do I Use Confrontation? Or, Telepathy?

OldChinaHam

Most complaints are best dealt with immediately. If you are in your hotel room, and something is wrong, Call the front desk right away, and make sure someone with hotel management knows about the problem. If your TV does not work, or room is dirty with bugs and you send a letter 2 weeks later, there is little the hotel can do about the problem.

If the front desk is unwilling to help, ask for someone in management. If your issue is serious enough, do not accept excuses. Of course, it is quite possible that a duty manager is not immediately available, in that case provide your personal details, and request that you be contacted within a reasonable time frame. Always make notes of who you are talking to, and what promises are made. If the duty hotel manager is unwilling to help, make sure you keep your notes, and photos, and follow up with your travel provider you booked with.

Remember to always keep your cool and give the hotel every opportunity to put things right.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry not relevant to the thread but it brought back what was an amusing incident in a Chinese hotel.

I had been staying a few days and wanted to extend my stay, they had rooms available.

Nice hotel, good service, I had planned to leave for a side trip, then changed my mind and wanted to stay.( already booked for future visit)

I had a Chinese friend with me at the time, very calm intelligent and well educated.

When I asked to extend my stay, I got questioned as to why I wanted to stay longer.

No problem with the question, merely said I had enjoyed the stay and couldn`t be bothered with the side trip.

My Chinese friend didn`t take kindly to the question of why I wanted to stay longer being asked and flipped, never seen him like that.

Shouting abuse at the staff, why do you ask my friend a stupid question.

Apologies all round and received as before good service.

Guess you would have to have been there but it was quite amusing.smile.png

Don't the staff get paid? Why tip at all. I don't expect special treatment. I expect them to do their job.

I once checked into a hotel and 3 people were hovering to 'assist' me and my one bag to my room. I told them not to take my bag, I can carry it myself. They insisted on taking it, all 3 of them going to my room.

Get into the room and the guy holds his hand out for a tip, I shook his hand. He and his 2 assistants were not impressed.

Of course when I needed something they weren't at all keen to help me. I then got the manager and told him the staff were not doing their job. The manager gave them a bollocking.

Since when do staff only do their job if they receive a tip.

All I expect is for staff to actually do the job they get paid to do.

I do not believe your story took place in Thailand, but rather in the movies.because

1. Staff in Thailand do not hold out their hands

2. Manager would never give them "bollocking" even more so in front of the guest for them to loose face, because manager is well aware if he does, they would quit on the spot

whistling.gif Perfect example in my personal experience.

I am staying in a smallhotel with a "free" breakfast included in the room rate.

Now, during Sonkkran, the hotel is completely full.

There is a few tables downstairs in the lobby for "breakfast".

I normally get a cup of coffee, and take one of those tables, for my computer for my morning computer sign on daily blog checks (including ThauVisa).

Yesterday, because there were so many guests people were waiting to get a table for their breakfast,

So, I was asked politely, if i would please refrain from using my computer until the breakfast service was done so hotel guests could get breakfast.

Sounded reasonable to me, so I agreed to wait ubtil after the breakfast service was finished,

I went back to my room.

About 10:30 the receptionist called my room, and told me that the maids had just finished cleanimg up from breakfas, and if I wanted to there was now a table for me to use for my computer if i wanted to.

Moral of the story: sometimes you get more by being polite than by being confrontational.

Especially in Thailand.

On my first day in this hotel, during a thunderstorm, a tree branch fell on the local power lfeed line and shorted out power to this hotel for 3 hours.

It was repaired by the city electric power repair crew.

I COULD have complained to the hotel, because there was no power to my room, including no air conditioning.

But what would be the point of complaining .... the hotel staff had to wait for the repair crew to arrive.... the same as I did.

My complaints weren't going to get the repiar crew form the city there any quicker.

So I went out and had a cold beer and a meal.

rolleyes.gif

With your attitude, i think you will find not only to have a pleasant stay, but staff will always do little extra for you, so will the management, and on your next visit, you would be remembered and appreciated in a number of ways

Agreed, to make an ass of oneself is embarrassing to all involved, and should be avoided, but it would be nice if there was more accountability.

Sometimes after making a suggestion or valid complaint there is no follow through on the hotel's part. Any followup by the guest often is made to seem pushy.

In many cases one is damned if one pursues the issue, and also plagued by the problem if one gives up.

I guess you are right. Many of the people providing service just wish to outlast the complaining guest while doing nothing.

Then the question still becomes how far should one push it while still trying to be reasonable and not give anyone a hard time.

It would be so much easier if guys would just hop to it like they seem to do in Hong Kong. (And many other places, too.)

There is another option, which is all the problems you stated were always there ie not a problem, but how it actually is.

In some places, they have old air con units, so the noise has been there for as long as hotel, it simply can not be fixed. Might be the same with leaking showers.

I know even i i have a real ass staying, i might delay doing something for a few hours, but never leave it.but again thats providing i am aware of the problem.

You also need to keep in mind, some staff are scared to report a problem because some think they will be blamed for it, or will be expected to deal with it.

I think 24 hours is enough wait, and if nothing is done, and management is aware, but no explanation or action taken, then just move.

Again, from personal experience, just the other day, one of my guests had a problem with toilet. Staff forgot to tell me in the morning, he informed me in the afternoon.

I explained to him i was not aware, but am on it now. Called the plumber, and plumber said he would be around at 6pm. Informed the guest about the time.

Guest was happy, plumber came around, fixed the problem, got tipped by the guest himself.

Offered guest some drinks as apology for having to wait, he refused and was happy that problem was fixed without him having to change rooms.

He was also happy to tip the plumber, because plumber was friendly and polite.

I also know if i call this plumber again, he would be over pretty fast, happy ending for all :)

• Like 1

It consultants were not in demand 23 years ago, in fact if you mentioned the word it people wouldnt have even known what your talking about, but i guess dreams and fantasies is all you have now, never mind we are all allowed to have our dreams its when you confuse them with reality the problems begin.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A friend of mine was GM of a 5 star in Chiang Mai. His staff shared ALL tips given in the hotel, regardless of where they came from (restaurant, bell boy, bar, etc.).

As a result they all worked their knackers off to please all guests; however those that tipped generously were obviously rewarded with a much more attentive and higher level of service than the cheap charlies.

I consider myself to be a decent tipper and I always get well looked after, with staff remembering my name after more than a year away on some occasions.

If I want surly, miserable staff, I won't tip.

Having said that, there are always those Duty managers who do not give a hoot about the customers as long as they have an easy life. Fortunately the two hotels in which they work are no longer on my list, nor are they recommended to those who might ask me for a good place to stay in Chiang Mai.

lemoncake,

Do you as a hotelier charge a "service fee" to your guests and if you do, what do you do with said service fee?

I'm not having a personal dig but am just curious...

No, i do not charge service charge, hotels that do charge service charge would give it to staff as tips(generally)

No, i do not charge service charge, hotels that do charge service charge would give it to staff as tips(generally)

If that is the case, then I tip my hat to you and your previous posts on this point.

Unfortunately, for the greater majority of hotels the service charge is free money - AFAIA, there is no law on how the "service charge" is to be distributed and it like the "porterage" charge simply goes into the bottom line...

I feel if people are more educated on these subject matter tipping becomes the norm...

The tips received (based on your scenarios) IS unfortunately an insult... Actually anything under B100 is an insult...

If that is the case, then I tip my hat to you and your previous posts on this point.

Unfortunately, for the greater majority of hotels the service charge is free money - AFAIA, there is no law on how the "service charge" is to be distributed and it like the "porterage" charge simply goes into the bottom line...

I feel if people are more educated on these subject matter tipping becomes the norm...

The tips received (based on your scenarios) IS unfortunately an insult... Actually anything under B100 is an insult...

Service charge is a good concept, however it also backfires. One of the reasons is no one really pulls their weight or does hard work, because service charge is applied to the price of the rooms, so staff do not really care because they still get it.

On the other hand, it also can double if not triple staff wages, especially in the high season.

But then another headache for accounts department is to split it evenly, considering some people worked the full month, some had half a month off as a sick days and some just joined, some did not show up and some did doubles.

i do not think anything under 100 baht is an insult. Seeing my staff reaction and hearing them speak, they are happy with 20 baht tips, anything more is a bonus and a bigger smile on their face smile.png

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Alas, service charge, is like so many of the great ideas of the past... Great in theory... Add human integration and you have a recepie for disaster...

It was not too long ago I too thought B20 was a fair tip, until the wife stepped in and that tip turned into B120..

So long as the service is delivered genuinely and in a timely manner, I'll be more inclined to tip...

As for the comment regarding the staff are just doing their job... That's pompous BS, a tip is (and should be considered as such) a recognition of exceeding someone's expectations and not a gesture of sympathy...

Sounds like you need to upgrade. The only bad or rude behavior from staff in Thailand I have encountered has been in sextourist areas in Bangkok. Anywhere else the staff is always very helpful and corteous, smiling and willing to go the extra mile.

You've obviously never been to Koh Phi Phi then?All hotels' attitude towards any tourists there are nothing short of disgraceful!

Nope, I stay far, far away from anywhere that the so called 'backpackers' frequent while making utter fools of themselves. And yes, guesthouses and 'hotels' catering to backpackers/flashpackers/hippies/leftists have atrocious customer service, but then again, they do have to deal with these unwashed hordes day in and day out, so can't really blame them.

There are also always SOME people who will complain about everything even minor annoyances. Most often they're not found in 4-5 star hotels, but in cheaper ones, yet they expect their two weeks £500 vacation to be a walk on rose pettals. Read reviews of any hotel on Agoda or similar and even for the best 5 star hotels there are always someone who had a 'horrible' stay. I doubt it was really that bad.

Alas, service charge, is like so many of the great ideas of the past... Great in theory... Add human integration and you have a recepie for disaster...

It was not too long ago I too thought B20 was a fair tip, until the wife stepped in and that tip turned into B120..

So long as the service is delivered genuinely and in a timely manner, I'll be more inclined to tip...

As for the comment regarding the staff are just doing their job... That's pompous BS, a tip is (and should be considered as such) a recognition of exceeding someone's expectations and not a gesture of sympathy...

I think you need to reel in your wife a bit. A 120 baht tip is purely for showing off. I never tip any bellboy more than 20-50 baht for carrying luggage. I mean, do you want this guy to drive a Merc for carrying luggage? Consider that he probably delivers 20-30 customers at least a day. If everyone tipped 100 baht then that would give him 2-3K a day in tips or monthly tips around 40-60K!

Please man, think with your head and keep your wife in check. 20 baht is more than fine for such a simple task.

• Like 1

There are also always SOME people who will complain about everything even minor annoyances. Most often they're not found in 4-5 star hotels, but in cheaper ones, yet they expect their two weeks £500 vacation to be a walk on rose pettals. Read reviews of any hotel on Agoda or similar and even for the best 5 star hotels there are always someone who had a 'horrible' stay. I doubt it was really that bad.

Funny you bring it up. It is almost always the ones in the cheapest rooms who complain and leave bad reviews .

For some reason those believe that they should be getting 5 star service and 5 star accommodation while paying the cheapest rate in 2 star hotel

• Like 1

Im not an American hater, honest - quite the reverse, but IMO it is America that got us into this whole sorry mess of how much to tip, good tipping, bad tipping et al.

I'm not sure what its like now, but when I worked there 30 years ago staff in a good restaurant would chase you down outside if you left less than 20%! The presence of a cardre of people who have big tipping ingrained (I still find it difficult to tip less than 10% even for average service) completely cocks it up for the rest of the world smile.png

Anyway, back to the point, Thais don't seem to mind a complaint if it you are not actually complaining - ie treating them respectfully and smiling a lot. Whether your non-complaint style complaint actually works is another question entirely, but your moaning style of complaint certainly won't work. That said a good moan never got me far but sometimes felt more satisfying than poncing around, so go ahead if your are in that frame of mind whistling.gif

Write a report about the hotel online. Tripadvisor is a website where you can post a report about a hotel. Most hotels do not like bad publicity on the web.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g293915-Thailand-Hotels.html

Most reputable hotels do not like bad publicity, but many of the hotels I've stayed in do not give a monkey's flying f*** what it says on tripadvisor or anywhere else.

I don't know the hotels in which you have stayed Ripstanley, but I know from practical experience over some years, that hotels in the past two years, really do care about Trip Advisor comments.

Many holiday planners like me, visiting a new hotel, will build a short list of where and how much. Reading say 15 to 20 Reviews - Agoda does this too as well as Trip Advisor - is the final criterion. If I see "rude Reception or Unhelpful Reception place comments pop up more than 4 times, it comes off my list.

I actually wrote to a Hotel in Koh Tao we wanted to stay at. I told the owner that I was concerned at all the negative comments about her staff. Nearly 70% of former guests were scathing in their reviews. She promised that all would be well. Fair enough it was a great stay and the Reception staff were pleasant - until she left and went to Bangkok - and every thing changed for the worse.

We wanted to go there last year - but again the complaints outweighed the compliments 3 to 1.

So RipStanley if you take the average of 20 reviews on a hotel - it is enough to weed out extremists and take a decision - It is YOUR holiday.

I think you need to reel in your wife a bit. A 120 baht tip is purely for showing off. I never tip any bellboy more than 20-50 baht for carrying luggage. I mean, do you want this guy to drive a Merc for carrying luggage? Consider that he probably delivers 20-30 customers at least a day. If everyone tipped 100 baht then that would give him 2-3K a day in tips or monthly tips around 40-60K!

Please man, think with your head and keep your wife in check. 20 baht is more than fine for such a simple task.

A bit of an exaggeration I think... Not everyone is going to be tipping that amount every time, honestly so what if they do? If the service is there it should be rewarded... Not out of pity or for showing off purposes...

B100 = $A3.32 hardly stretching the finances...

Write a report about the hotel online. Tripadvisor is a website where you can post a report about a hotel. Most hotels do not like bad publicity on the web.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g293915-Thailand-Hotels.html

Most reputable hotels do not like bad publicity, but many of the hotels I've stayed in do not give a monkey's flying f*** what it says on tripadvisor or anywhere else.

I don't know the hotels in which you have stayed Ripstanley, but I know from practical experience over some years, that hotels in the past two years, really do care about Trip Advisor comments.

Many holiday planners like me, visiting a new hotel, will build a short list of where and how much. Reading say 15 to 20 Reviews - Agoda does this too as well as Trip Advisor - is the final criterion. If I see "rude Reception or Unhelpful Reception place comments pop up more than 4 times, it comes off my list.

I actually wrote to a Hotel in Koh Tao we wanted to stay at. I told the owner that I was concerned at all the negative comments about her staff. Nearly 70% of former guests were scathing in their reviews. She promised that all would be well. Fair enough it was a great stay and the Reception staff were pleasant - until she left and went to Bangkok - and every thing changed for the worse.

We wanted to go there last year - but again the complaints outweighed the compliments 3 to 1.

So RipStanley if you take the average of 20 reviews on a hotel - it is enough to weed out extremists and take a decision - It is YOUR holiday.

I was saying that Tripadvisor is a useful tool to use if unhappy but also if you are happy with the hotel. I recently stayed in Bangkok. The hotel where we stayed was excellent and I posted this on Tripadvisor.

Agreed, to make an ass of oneself is embarrassing to all involved, and should be avoided, but it would be nice if there was more accountability.

Sometimes after making a suggestion or valid complaint there is no follow through on the hotel's part. Any followup by the guest often is made to seem pushy.

In many cases one is damned if one pursues the issue, and also plagued by the problem if one gives up.

I guess you are right. Many of the people providing service just wish to outlast the complaining guest while doing nothing.

Then the question still becomes how far should one push it while still trying to be reasonable and not give anyone a hard time.

It would be so much easier if guys would just hop to it like they seem to do in Hong Kong. (And many other places, too.)

There is another option, which is all the problems you stated were always there ie not a problem, but how it actually is.

In some places, they have old air con units, so the noise has been there for as long as hotel, it simply can not be fixed. Might be the same with leaking showers.

I know even i i have a real ass staying, i might delay doing something for a few hours, but never leave it.but again thats providing i am aware of the problem.

You also need to keep in mind, some staff are scared to report a problem because some think they will be blamed for it, or will be expected to deal with it.

I think 24 hours is enough wait, and if nothing is done, and management is aware, but no explanation or action taken, then just move.

Again, from personal experience, just the other day, one of my guests had a problem with toilet. Staff forgot to tell me in the morning, he informed me in the afternoon.

I explained to him i was not aware, but am on it now. Called the plumber, and plumber said he would be around at 6pm. Informed the guest about the time.

Guest was happy, plumber came around, fixed the problem, got tipped by the guest himself.

Offered guest some drinks as apology for having to wait, he refused and was happy that problem was fixed without him having to change rooms.

I also know if i call this plumber again, he would be over pretty fast, happy ending for all smile.png

The staff forgot to tell you. Who's fault is that? The manager is responsible for training his staff so that they do not forget things like that. Too many places (Including and possibly specially places managed by foreigners) seem to be like the Hotels in the TV series Hotel Nightmares. Hate to know what Gordon Ramsey would say. Edited by harrry

If you can communicate by telepathy then you are gifted!!!

I wish that I could adopt thought process communication as it would solve a lot of problems (make some also potentially) I suppose.

I wonder if arguing or conveying your innermost feelings by telepathy can be done!!! Now that WOULD be interesting!!giggle.gif.

• Like 1

I also know if i call this plumber again, he would be over pretty fast, happy ending for all smile.png

The staff forgot to tell you. Who's fault is that? The manager is responsible for training his staff so that they do not forget things like that. Too many places (Including and possibly specially places managed by foreigners) seem to be like the Hotels in the TV series Hotel Nightmares. Hate to know what Gordon Ramsey would say.

clearly you have never worked a day in your life in Thailand or with Thai

Tipping maid rate is either 20 per day or 100 for the stay, tipping maid 5 or so baht is insulting.

Ha, I always wondered what an approprate amount for tipping the maid was. I usually leave a couple hundred baht (when I remember, which I confess I do sometimes forget in my rush out the door).

Telepathy always works pretty well for me, especially with weak-minded Thais. However, some people need to hone their telepathic powers for years before they are effective on any but the most cretinous of individuals. There are various techniques you can use. Consult your local telepath.

• Like 1

Oh i should also mention that an ass, never really thinks he/she is an ass, so makes it rather hard to identify the problem for the ass why he/she is treated differently.smile.png

One example.

Guest tipped staff 25 satang and told them they can go shopping. Joke or not, the rest of his stay was made very unpleasant, no matter how hard i tried to calm the staff down.

Another one, tipped bellboy 4 baht for carrying 3 bags, naturally his stay was very unpleasant

Maybe you should pay them more then they wouldn't have to rely so much on tips. Isn't part of a bellboy's job to carry bags? And joke or not, any staff member that makes a paying guests stay unpleasant should at the very least be reprimanded, not have their action apparently condoned by the hotel owner.

Did you try to calm the staff member down by suggesting that if he didn't calm down and be polite to the guests who pay his wages he'd be fired? Could have worked.

What's the name and location of your caring hotel so that we can avoid it?

• Like 2

Oh i should also mention that an ass, never really thinks he/she is an ass, so makes it rather hard to identify the problem for the ass why he/she is treated differently.smile.png

One example.

Guest tipped staff 25 satang and told them they can go shopping. Joke or not, the rest of his stay was made very unpleasant, no matter how hard i tried to calm the staff down.

Another one, tipped bellboy 4 baht for carrying 3 bags, naturally his stay was very unpleasant

Maybe you should pay them more then they wouldn't have to rely so much on tips. Isn't part of a bellboy's job to carry bags? And joke or not, any staff member that makes a paying guests stay unpleasant should at the very least be reprimanded, not have their action apparently condoned by the hotel owner.

Did you try to calm the staff member down by suggesting that if he didn't calm down and be polite to the guests who pay his wages he'd be fired? Could have worked.

Certainly, , the only problem is when i pay them more, then i charge more and when i charge more, people like yourself come on the board crying their pensions are not enough to live in Thailand or have a holiday in Thailandrolleyes.gif

PS. Thanks for advice on how to run business in Thailand, now please be kind and tell what businesses you have ran in Thailand and what managerial experience you have working in Thailand and/or with Thai's

PPS. Just to clarify, who is we?whistling.gif

Edited by lemoncake

One example.

Certainly, , the only problem is when i pay them more, then i charge more and when i charge more, people like yourself come on the board crying their pensions are not enough to live in Thailand or have a holiday in Thailandrolleyes.gif

So you expect your guests to subsidise your wages bill? Why do you have to charge more if you pay more reasonable wages, why not let your bottom line take a small hit and have happier staff providing the service they should be providing anyway and, therefore, happier guests?

I've never mentioned whether my income is enough to live on and what makes you think I'm on a pension? What on earth are you rambling on about?

One example.

So you expect your guests to subsidise your wages bill? Why do you have to charge more if you pay more reasonable wages, why not let your bottom line take a small hit and have happier staff providing the service they should be providing anyway and, therefore, happier guests?

I've never mentioned whether my income is enough to live on and what makes you think I'm on a pension? What on earth are you rambling on about?

again thank you for your business advice, now be kind to answer the questions put to yourolleyes.gif

since you see 20 baht tip to be a problem, perhaps sticking to 300 baht fan rooms is your best option