Second-hand Bmw

alleykat

I would like some advice from anyone who knoes a bit about BMW's. I confess to knowing very little. A colleague is selling a BMW 318 1993 model. I think it was imported.

He wants 300,000 baht for it. He says that the Thai dealer will give him 300,000.

He says it needs a bit of work.

Is this a fair price? What kind of things are likely to need doing to this model at this age?

Are parts expensive?

I would like some advice from anyone who knoes a bit about BMW's. I confess to knowing very little. A colleague is selling a BMW 318 1993 model. I think it was imported.

He wants 300,000 baht for it. He says that the Thai dealer will give him 300,000.

Is this a fair price? What kind of things are likely to need doing to this model at this age?

Are parts expensive?

BEWARE, an old BMW needing work Uh Uh One of my employess purchased one two years ago, it cost him a fortune and that was mostly repaired with copy parts. In two years the only part that wasn't replaced was the passengers door handle :-)) I have never seen a car that was so unreliable. Offered 300K from Dealer, someone is telling porky pies.

> A colleague is selling a BMW 318 1993 model. I think it was imported.

> He wants 300,000 baht for it. He says that the Thai dealer will give him

> 300,000. He says it needs a bit of work.

WALK AWAY!!!

No matter what dealer or teenage wannabe-p!mp will pay for that, it sounds a lot more hassle (and expense) than it's worth!!

Seriously, old European cars are a huge headache to run in Thailand.

Are parts expensive?

I'm afraid I'm with the others :o

The 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine is barely big enough for the body and will have been thrashed to death. If it's an auto (probably) it'll be a bit gutless too. I'd be interested to know what 'a bit of work' means :D

If it was a 320 or 325 with the M50 straight-6 24-valve engine (and the rare for thailand manual box) then worth looking at, these engines are bomb-proof, but for that sort of money it would have to be tidy.

I have a '94 325i with 150k on the clock, not 100% reliable but not bad for a car its age. My local 'BM Man' is quite good (not an agent) but genuine spares are pricey and the copy parts are really not up to the job.

Edited by Crossy

BMW 318.... I would not set foot in. But that comes from 3 years of owning a E36 1995 M3. I flawless dream maching. The 318, as above mentioned is really gutless, and do expect electical issues.

My advice, walk away, and wait for a better option. I too want a BMW, when I get to Thailand.