Red Tape Fuelling Human Trafficking In East Of Thailand

webfact

Red tape fuelling human trafficking in East of Thailand
Thanapat Kitjakosol
The Nation

30204116-01_big.jpg
Cambodian national Sri Mao, seen here with one of her two children, worked illegally in Chanthaburi for six months after paying Bt2,500 to an agent who smuggled her in.

BANGKOK: -- As an illegal worker in Thailand, Niang is familiar with hiding from the police - and being deported when she is found. She has, after all, been ejected from the country several times already.

Yet, after each deportation, she has managed to find her way back.

"I only need to pay Bt2,000 to come back here," said the Cambodian woman. "An agent is always ready to pick me up and send me to an employer on the Thai side."

Niang, 30, and her husband Wanna, 32, have made a living as illegal migrant workers in Thailand for more than a decade. They have neither passports nor any other official documents.

When they miss their children back home, they can contact the same agent, who will take them back safely over the border for a fee of Bt1,000 each.

They can return to Thailand as soon as they can afford the Bt2,000 fee.

"Many other Cambodians do the same thing. If we don't have enough cash, we can get a loan and pay it back later," Wanna explained.

The Cambodian couple chose Thailand for its higher wages. Workers who earn just Bt100 a day in Cambodia can make up to Bt230 a day in Thailand.

"This way, we can send Bt4,000 to Bt5,000 to our children each month," Niang said.

Wanna said he and his wife had no plans to register with Thai authorities because the cost involved was too high.

Peng Pouy, a representative of immigrant workers in Chon Buri and a co-ordinator of the Raks Thai Foundation, said agents usually charged at least Bt9,500 to register a Cambodian with Thai authorities. Sometimes the fee goes as high as Bt18,000.

"If the workers contact authorities themselves, they find the process is complicated and takes many days," he explained.

Yaomen, a 31-year-old Cambodian working in Thailand, said he had decided not to register because of the high fee.

"I have been working here for nine years and have never been arrested," he said.

When he falls ill, his employer provides healthcare and will take him to a local clinic or hospital if necessary.

Sirijan Suksawas, an official at the Raks Thai Foundation, said most immigrants working at the Pak

Nam Kamae Nu Port in Chanthaburi's Tha Mai district were unregistered.

"More than 200 Cambodians and over 100 Myanmar nationals work here. Employers do not encourage workers to register because they fear workers would leave for better-paying jobs elsewhere as soon as they had legitimate papers," she said.

Speaking at a recent seminar, Chanthaburi public-health chief Dr Charat Wasuthada said that the border province's Pra Pokklao Hospital spent more than Bt10 million a year on treating immigrant workers.

"We are working hard to control the potential spread of disease from alien workers," he added.

In neighbouring Rayong, public-health official Thivara Kunavuthi said that registered immigrant workers were required to pay Bt1,300 a year to access medical services.

"We need to recalculate the actual cost as many alien workers decide to give birth here in a bid to claim Thai nationality and better welfare for their children," she said.

According to Labour Ministry figures, more than one million (1,062,852) alien workers are registered in Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-17

Thailand needs migrant workers as many local Thai's are just too lazy to do any meaningful work so, I do believe that they (the country) should make the system easier and cheaper for workers to become legal. I'm not sure about now but it used to cost 3,900 baht a few years ago (money that migrant workers didn't have). Thai bosses used to pay it as a loan and charge interest before employing the people involved at rates that were well below the minimum rate. I don't understand why now the powers that be are crying out over the cost of medical care etc, they just need to go to those same bosses (well known to authorities) and collect it from them - also interesting to note how much the country is making from migrant workers, money that is then being spent to support Thailand's own lazy layabouts!

Thailand needs migrant workers as many local Thai's are just too lazy to do any meaningful work so, I do believe that they (the country) should make the system easier and cheaper for workers to become legal. I'm not sure about now but it used to cost 3,900 baht a few years ago (money that migrant workers didn't have). Thai bosses used to pay it as a loan and charge interest before employing the people involved at rates that were well below the minimum rate. I don't understand why now the powers that be are crying out over the cost of medical care etc, they just need to go to those same bosses (well known to authorities) and collect it from them - also interesting to note how much the country is making from migrant workers, money that is then being spent to support Thailand's own lazy layabouts!

If you think "the powers to be" are crying now, just wait for the 2013 TIP report ti come out, and a very likely downgrade to tier 3.

The loss of 10's of millions in foreign aid and a ban on many export products to western countries will really bring out the howls from the govt.

• Like 2

If you think "the powers to be" are crying now, just wait for the 2013 TIP report ti come out, and a very likely downgrade to tier 3.

The loss of 10's of millions in foreign aid and a ban on many export products to western countries will really bring out the howls from the govt.

whats a TIP report

also I thought a ratings agency just upgraded Thailand

also I thought money was pouring into Thailand due to the USA, EU, Japan mess

also I thought with the ASEAN coming up things were on the move here

just asking

whats a TIP report

also I thought a ratings agency just upgraded Thailand

also I thought money was pouring into Thailand due to the USA, EU, Japan mess

also I thought with the ASEAN coming up things were on the move here

just asking

TIP= Trafficking in persons. ie. Labor, prostitution.

What you are thinking of is the Money laundering list. Witch they have not been removed from as of yet, officially.

When people get 'scalped' for registration fees by crooks or the authorities are bogged down in bureaucracy is it any wonder illegal workers don't bother to register? Make it simple would be the answer but then the 'tea money' would not flow! It's always about corruption in Thailand (and all other Asian countries).

• Like 1

I agree with your point but to expect Thailand to improve ANY foreigners stay is unlikely.

It's like their attitude is "These are MY cookies and YOU can't have any! They are all mine!".

I would like to see more Cambodians come here. They are much more pleasant.

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

Chanthaburi has the 3rd highest income per capital (province) in Thailand according to the Thai Gov.

It is very difficult to get get a un-skilled Thai to do anything for under 500B a day. Very frustrating, but Cambodians are the work force here and are accepted as such. thumbsup.gif

I agree with your point but to expect Thailand to improve ANY foreigners stay is unlikely.

It's like their attitude is "These are MY cookies and YOU can't have any! They are all mine!".

Not only are they much more pleasant, they are also more honest and down to earth, plus have one thing that we are lacking; manners.

• Like 1

The wife and I stopped in at a local cafe bar and I was stumbling through with my Thai to order my meal when the girl informed me she was Burmese and could not speak Thai but spoke perfect English.

I don't know how much the cost is or how much red tape they go through but here in Chiang Mai there is so many of them at immigration it takes up an incredible amount of the staff's time which is already thanks to Bangkok undermanned by a total of 14 people. I think some of those Burmese must camp out there as it seems the number of them never goes down.

Thailand needs migrant workers as many local Thai's are just too lazy to do any meaningful work

Would you, even in your own country , take on any job which pays less than the minimum wage ?

The Thai people are no different and not as stupid as you would like to label them to take on jobs

which pay below the minimum wage. Legislation and enforcement of the legislation are needed to

ensure that all workers, locals or migrants receive the minimum wage and benefits.

You are talking through your hat.

Edited by Dr Wanchai

Thailand does nothing to track the "agents," their bosses, the government hacks on the take, and the Mr. Bigs involved in the trafficking network. Very fitting that Thailand should be downgraded to the bottom of countries on the human trafficking lists. Thailand should be embargoes out of these rackets.

Thailand needs migrant workers as many local Thai's are just too lazy to do any meaningful work

Would you, even in your own country , take on any job which pays less than the minimum wage ?

The Thai people are no different and not as stupid as you would like to label them to take on jobs

which pay below the minimum wage. Legislation and enforcement of the legislation are needed to

ensure that all workers, locals or migrants receive the minimum wage and benefits.

You are talking through your hat.

By allowing workers at below minimum to be imported all that is achieved is to cut the floor out from below the lowest paid Thai workers.