All Safe After Dive Boat Sinks In Similan National Park Freak Storm

webfact

All safe after dive boat sinks in Similan National Park freak storm
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_HTMS_Pattanee_of_the_Royal_Th
HTMS Pattanee of the Royal Thai Navy has a capacity of about 500 people and was dispatched to help those anchored near Koh Ta Chai. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: -- A dive boat with 30* people on board sank Tuesday in the Similan National Park after being caught in a freak storm about four miles off Koh Ta Chai.

All passengers and staff were immediately and safely evacuated from the boat after the captain and tour leader launched an emergency raft, Stefan Kaesweber of Khao Lak Scuba Adventures told the Phuket Gazette this evening.

Fishing vessels in the area quickly rescued passengers and staff from the emergency raft, bringing them to one of the dive boat’s sister ships.

The Royal Thai Navy is sending out a boat to assist those still in the area and bring the 20 passengers and 10 dive staff back to Khao Lak, where Khao Lak Scuba Adventures has a support team, warm clothes and hotel rooms in a 4-star resort awaiting them.

The support team has already been in contact with relevant consulates and embassies for the passengers, who are from Germany, Switzerland, Austria, England, France and Thailand.

Mr Kaesweber explained that those on board the sunken vessel were expected back by about 11pm tonight. At the moment his ten-person support team composed several nationalities, two doctors and two psychologists is on standby.

Psychologists are part of the team to deal with any psychological effects caused by the incident, and the variety of nationalities on the team will ensure that those involved can receive support in their native tongue, Mr Kaesweber explained to the Gazette.

“A total of about 400 people need to be rescued from Koh Ta Chai, the President of the Similan National Marine Park told me,” Mr Kaesweber said.

An officer at The Operation Center of the Third Naval Area Command in Phuket who asked not to be named told the Phuket Gazette, “We have sent out the HTMS Pattanee ship to pick up people at Koh Ta Chai. It left at about 6pm and will be arriving around 9 pm.”

Those still at the islands are currently anchored in well protected bays, confirmed Mr Kaesweber.

The sunken dive boat rests at an unknown depth, he said. A team will head out in the morning to start salvage efforts.

Additional reporting by Chutharat Plerin

This story originally reported 20 dive staff members were on board the dive boat. However, it has since been confirmed that there were only 10.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/All-safe-after-dive-boat-sinks-in-Similan-National-Park-freak-storm-20799.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-17

This article does not make sense. 30 on a dive boat that sinks, then 400 people need to be evac'd, then 20, no 10 dive staff on the boat of 30 people and the rest are in safe anchorage. I mean <deleted>??? blink.png

Well 30 person in total, 20 of them paying guests, 10 of them are crew members. initially 20 staff members where reported, later corrected to 10.

A total of 400 persons are out at Ko Tachai and need to be evacuated, but apparently are in safe anchorage. Probably speedboats that can´t make their way back to the coast.

Not sure what´s so difficult to understand....

Freak storm my ass, just another crap dive boat. Fortunately there were several seaworthy fishing boats around to come to the rescue. How many dive boats does this make that have sunk out there?

Exactly! I knew this storm was coming. In another article from the news source we can't quote (rule 31) the director of the Similans National Park wrote letters to dive companies and day trip operators advising them not to go out on Tuesday and Wednesday. But greed prevails over any semblance of common sense when it comes to these boat "captains," tour and dive company operators. There were also 40 speed boats stuck out there that couldn't make it back. Brilliant!

Freak storm my ass, just another crap dive boat. Fortunately there were several seaworthy fishing boats around to come to the rescue. How many dive boats does this make that have sunk out there?

Exactly! I knew this storm was coming. In another article from the news source we can't quote (rule 31) the director of the Similans National Park wrote letters to dive companies and day trip operators advising them not to go out on Tuesday and Wednesday. But greed prevails over any semblance of common sense when it comes to these boat "captains," tour and dive company operators. There were also 40 speed boats stuck out there that couldn't make it back. Brilliant!

Do you think any of the guests get a refund ? In reality the operators got rewarded for the stupidity and endangering their customers. Whilst this happens situations like this will be repeated.

Do you think any of the guests get a refund ? In reality the operators got rewarded for the stupidity and endangering their customers. Whilst this happens situations like this will be repeated.

most likely they got extra charged for long stay. thai navy should charge them all for rescue, that will teach them a lesson

One of the comments of that article came from a dive company operator who said he never received such letter. According to my own observation of thai national post performance, the letters should get there in the next 10 days... I suggest that a more suitable means of communication should be used next time :D

Obviously that doesn't excuse the captains who either didn't bother to check the weather forecasts or just ignored them.

• Like 1

One of the comments of that article came from a dive company operator who said he never received such letter. According to my own observation of thai national post performance, the letters should get there in the next 10 days... I suggest that a more suitable means of communication should be used next time biggrin.png

Obviously that doesn't excuse the captains who either didn't bother to check the weather forecasts or just ignored them.

I think you'll find the letter was sent by email.

One of the comments of that article came from a dive company operator who said he never received such letter. According to my own observation of thai national post performance, the letters should get there in the next 10 days... I suggest that a more suitable means of communication should be used next time biggrin.png

I'll have to agree with you. It took two months for a letter from the US Embassy Bangkok to arrive here at my house in Phuket. I suppose the dive company and "captains" don't have internet or a clue as to how to check the weather? This is the site I use, it gives me a pretty good idea: http://panphuket.com/weather The satellite images are very useful IMO.

I think you'll find the letter was sent by email.

That would make a lot more sense than sending a warning by Thai Post!

They will probably get charged for the free ride from the Royal Thai Navy in their high tech warship

They will probably get charged for the free ride from the Royal Thai Navy in their high tech warship

Slightly amusing, but not really. Until there is some kind of accountability and penalty imposed on these idiots that aren't responsible enough to check the weather before taking paying passengers many kilometers offshore, then more needless tragedies will continue to happen. They are very lucky no one died this time. Many have in the past...

UPDATE
Tourists offer high praise for rescue efforts after storm sinks dive boat north of Phuket

Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_A_total_of_455_people_include
A total of 455 people, including 30 from the sunken dive boat, were brought from Koh Ta Chai back to the mainland. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633597-tourists-offer-high-praise-for-rescue-efforts-after-storm-sinks-dive-boat-north-of-phuket/

April 16 and 17 weather conditions in Phangnga were quite dodgy, some snorkeling tour operators still went to Koh Ta Chai and Similan, others didn't. Customers of mine went to Similan on a snorkeling tour on April 16, staying there overnight, and eventually they had to go back on a boat belonging to another snorkeling tour operator. Weather conditions were far too rough to do any snorkeling from the boat. Maybe some kind of authority should be put in place which can simply prohibit snorkeling and diving outfits to go out when the weather conditions are too bad.

April 16 and 17 weather conditions in Phangnga were quite dodgy, some snorkeling tour operators still went to Koh Ta Chai and Similan, others didn't. Customers of mine went to Similan on a snorkeling tour on April 16, staying there overnight, and eventually they had to go back on a boat belonging to another snorkeling tour operator. Weather conditions were far too rough to do any snorkeling from the boat. Maybe some kind of authority should be put in place which can simply prohibit snorkeling and diving outfits to go out when the weather conditions are too bad.

I agree with you, but the problem is no one want's to tell anyone what to do it seems if it affects their income. It's always an after thought and too little too late, then forgotten until the next time... Unfortunately.