One Tire Of Different Size

I had a blowout this afternoon, and after putting on the spare I drove to the nearest tire shop.

My Honda Jazz has 175/65 R15 size tires, but the shop didn't have that size in stock and tried to sell me 185/55 R15. After seeing the incredulous look on my face, the staff insisted that it was only a minor difference in size and it was nothing to worry about.

I politely said thanks but no thanks, and left. But now I'm wondering if there really is a big difference between the two sizes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

smile.png

Dangers of using different size tires on a car

It is of the utmost importance to always use the same size tires on a vehicle, unless the vehicle comes from the factory with a staggered tire fitment. Using the wrong size tires on a vehicle can cause any number of problems, from minor inconvenience to major mechanical damage.

If nothing else, installing the wrong size tires on your vehicle can cause handling issues. If the front end of your car has a different size tire on one side than the other, the vehicle can pull to one side, creating a dangerous situation should you remove your hand from the steering wheel. Tires can also wear faster if one side has a larger tire than the other.

A more dangerous situation can arise from installing different size tires on your vehicle; contact with suspension parts or body panels. Installing different sized tires on a car may cause irregular suspension travel and may result in the tires striking the suspension parts or the wheel well. Besides the obvious damage to suspension parts or body panels that this may cause, it can also cause damage to the tires themselves resulting in faster wear. In a worst-case scenario, the tire may be cut and blow out while traveling down the road.

Even more reasons why not here - helium.com

//Note: Those tire size differences you show in the OP are significant and very bad idea to use.

• Like 2

Whats a BLOWOUT, got to do with a Puncture.?.I f i bought a Tire after every Blowout id be Tyre Plus.!! Chucle appart who were the idiots who offered you the wrong size. Not a Big Group i trust.coffee1.gif

A blow out is a chance for you to expand your cultural language skills, yes it's aka a puncture but like those of us who have to try to decipher many of your cryptic posts in this case his is the same language (English) but instead of a "boot" for example like the British say he called it by it's proper vernacular and in essence called it a "hood" rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Whats a BLOWOUT, got to do with a Puncture.?.I f i bought a Tire after every Blowout id be Tyre Plus.!! Chucle appart who were the idiots who offered you the wrong size. Not a Big Group i trust.coffee1.gif

A blow out is a chance for you to expand your cultural language skills, yes it's aka a puncture but like those of us who have to try to decipher many of your cryptic posts in this case his is the same language (English) but instead of a "boot" for example like the British say he called it by it's proper vernacular and in essence called it a "hood" rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif ..

I think sepctics call it a trunk. By the way a puncture is normally when you return to your car and the tyre is flat or if it happens gradually. A blow out would be if it suddenly deflated when you were driving causing massive steering problems if it was at the front.

To answer the original question the rolling diameter of the 185/55 is about 4% less than the rolling diameter of the 175/65. Tacomaworld dot com has an online calculator.

Generally not a good idea to mix and match tyre sizes. One of the reasons for this is the differential is constantly working if the different sizes are the driven wheels. However I have had to use mismatched tyres on occasion, or wait for days for the correct tyre when out in the country. The solution is to put them on the non drive wheels, which in the case of a front wheel drive car is to put them on the rear. But if not in a hurry then wait for the correct size.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hood = bonnet Trunk = boot Blowout = big burst and sudden loss of air Puncture = gradual leak of air

Yep, got that backwards, not sure what a "sepcetic" is though? Both bonnet and boot are gay names though for any car.. And agree on the blow out description as well versus puncture..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hood = bonnet Trunk = boot Blowout = big burst and sudden loss of air Puncture = gradual leak of air

Yep, got that backwards, not sure what a "sepcetic" is though? Both bonnet and boot are gay names though for any car.. And agree on the blow out description as well versus puncture..

Quite simple Holmes, the name bonnet used in UK came from the fact that many early cars had leather straps to hold down the engine cover and was considered to be similar to a Lady's bonnet (hat) that was held on by two silk bands. The word boot came from the original stage coach days where at the back they had fitted a large leather luggage holder that was very similar to a boot (footwear) with an almost identical lace up system to hold the luggage in place.

• Like 1

Yes, hence gay terms for what is otherwise a masculine piece of machinery for the most part unless one owns something like an MG or likewise? w00t.gif

On topic though different sized tires= dangerous and premature tire wear uneven braking and handling especially in the wet.. At least corner to corner, side to side, front to rear not so critical..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sorry offtopic.gif But since you asked, here’s the definition for Septic, guess Big Guns keyboard just got an extra ‘ce’ in there.

Edited by MTH

I'd check the wheel too, if I were you! A blowout can cause distortion &/or cracks if its an alloy!

you should also check the tyre presure on all 4 plus spare.

not long ago i had my vios serviced[1,000 kilo] apart from them trying it on with a cleaning of the air con or changing it everything else ok.

till my b.i.l.called in and said your tyre's look flat,so i went and bought a digital pressure gauge,the front passengers side

22 should be 32.

front drivers side 22.

back 2 both 22 should be 30.

faulty gauge? better stop at a garage and check them,all 4 were 22,that will be the last time i visit that garage for a service.

Sorry offtopic.gif But since you asked, here’s the definition for Septic, guess Big Guns keyboard just got an extra ‘ce’ in there.

Feeling the need to attempt an explanation is typical British pretentiousness and patronizing. I didn't ask about "septic" I know well what that refers to in proper terms but it doesn't refer to a nationality by definition and it wasn't spelled correctly so especially silly to attempt to make a demeaning and slur and unnecessary flame and then be stupid enough to botch up the spelling innit? JFYI I didn't ask what "septic" meant in case you're to slow to have figured that out by now....

Feeling the need to attempt an explanation is typical British pretentiousness and patronizing. I didn't ask about "septic" I know well what that refers to in proper terms but it doesn't refer to a nationality by definition and it wasn't spelled correctly so especially silly to attempt to make a demeaning and slur and unnecessary flame and then be stupid enough to botch up the spelling innit? JFYI I didn't ask what "septic" meant in case you're to slow to have figured that out by now....

Dude! Guess someone woke up on the wrong side this morning.

Big Guns wrote ‘sepctics’ in his post, you asked what it meant, well basically, as you added to the misspelling and wrote ‘sepcetic’.

So JFYI it wasn’t me that wrote the slur, just giving you an explanation since you publicly asked for it.

However by the looks of it, you’re probably to slow to figure that one out, hence the explanation.

• Like 1

Dude! Guess someone woke up on the wrong side this morning.

Big Guns wrote ‘sepctics’ in his post, you asked what it meant, well basically, as you added to the misspelling and wrote ‘sepcetic’.

So JFYI it wasn’t me that wrote the slur, just giving you an explanation since you publicly asked for it.

However by the looks of it, you’re probably to slow to figure that one out, hence the explanation.

It has nothing to do with waking up on the wrong side of the bed, there's no reason to use that sort of insulting derogatory term, it's not funny, it's not creative, it's not appreciated either but it IS offensive and has naught to do with the motoring forum, so leave it home..It is a slur, it refers to Americans as an infection it's demeaning and unnecessary "dude"!! So was your response but I guess you didn't get that either..

I needed no explanation but apparently you did and that's why you should get over it and move on..

Edited by WarpSpeed