Several Deaths In Huge Texas Blast

webfact

Many casualties in Texas Waco fertiliser plant blast

WACO: -- Scores of people are injured and an unknown number are dead after a huge explosion at a fertiliser plant near Waco in the US state of Texas.

Dozens of homes and buildings have been destroyed, and several are still on fire, after the West Fertilizer plant exploded at about 19:50 (00:50 GMT).

Some people are thought still to be trapped in buildings and a number of firefighters are reported missing.

Emergency services officials said ammonia may have caused the explosion.

It has been reported the company had 54,000lbs (20 tonnes) of anhydrous ammonia on site.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22195495

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-04-18

'Like a nuclear bomb': Deadly fertilizer plant blast devastates Texas town

(CNN) -- The full extent of the devastation will have to wait until the light of day Thursday. But residents of the small Texas town of West already know what to expect.

"There are a lot of people that got hurt," West Mayor Tommy Muska forewarned Wednesday night. "There are a lot of people that will not be here tomorrow."

A massive explosion at a fertilizer plant on the edge of the town killed at least two people, wounded more than 150, leveled dozens of homes and prompted authorities to evacuate half their community of 2,800.

"It was a like a nuclear bomb went off," Muska said. "Big old mushroom cloud."

The Wednesday night blast shook houses 50 miles away and measured as a 2.1-magnitude seismic event, according to the United States Geological Survey.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2013/04/18/us/texas-explosion/index.html

-- CNN 2013-04-18

Industrial accident of course. Sad to hear that Firemen were on site at the time of the blast. I would have been tempted to put a huge ring around it and let it sort itself out, and the insurers pick up the tab.

tragic event remind me of a while ago in holland an explosion in a factory making fireworks that was located near houses and schools , there were many casualties , hopefully this disaster will make some tough regulations where to have your factory or where houses are allowed to be built

Deadly plant blast in Texas happened just day before Waco massacre anniversary

WEST: -- The blast at a fertilizer plant in West which caused the death of 75 people and injured hundreds Texans, happened one day before heavily armed FBI and ATF agents moved in to end a 50-day siege at the compound of a religious cult 20 years ago.

The tragedy named “Waco massacre” occurred near Waco, Texas, on April 19, 1993, when 82 people died after officials set fire to the Branch Davidian cult's isolated compound on a hilltop outside Waco.

The sect — a breakaway from the Seventh Day Adventist Church led by David Koresh — had renamed the hilltop Mount Carmel after a mountain in Israel mentioned in the Bible's Old Testament, reports GlobalPost.

Back in time, federal authorities first decided to close out the cult in February 1993, after reports about child abusing within the compound and claims that David Koresh was storage illegal weapons and ammunition, as well as operating a meth lab.

Full story: http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_04_18/Deadly-plant-blast-in-Texas-happened-just-day-before-Waco-massacre-anniversary/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-04-18

Texas police: At least 5 to 15 fatalities in plant explosion

WACO: -- A local police official confirmed on Thursday that between five to 15 people have been killed in a massive explosion at a fertilizer plant in Texas.

"I have heard no indications that this was anything other than an accident or a fire," Waco police sergeant Patrick Swanton told reporters. He said that at least 160 people were injured in the blast.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-18

This is a terrible thing. I wonder what caused it. It will get sorted out.

If there is only one good thing about Americans, they are generous. Look at all of the offers for help, food and shelter already. Link

I hope that the injured will emerge in good condition.

Prayers up.

Ammonia is stored in highly pressurized tanks, looks like they burst in the fire, mixed with air, and the fire ignited the mix. It's similar to fuel-air bombs.

Ammonia is stored in highly pressurized tanks, looks like they burst in the fire, mixed with air, and the fire ignited the mix. It's similar to fuel-air bombs.

I have heard it was anhydrous ammonia mixed with water that caused the explosion. Highly combustible mix.

No, Ammonium hydroxide is not flammable, that's the stuff in glass cleaners. Did you mean Ammonium nitrate, the fertilizer? That would be possible, too.

No, I heard it is anhydrous ammonia, which is without water. If water is mixed with anhydrous ammonia vapors it becomes combustible.

It would seem likely the first respondors did not know anhydrous ammonia had been released. I dunno.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the link below:

"What are the Emergency Response procedures?

In the event of a spill or accidental discharge of anhydrous ammonia, the fire department will assess the
scene. Possible actions could include, but are not limited to, evacuating the area or implementing Shelterin-
Place procedures . The emergency responders will attempt to stop the leak of anhydrous ammonia.
When anhydrous ammonia is released it maintains its temperature below -28°F (auto-refrigeration) for some time, depending on
factors such as outdoor temperature. The product stays in its liquid form, with only the outer layer closest to the air vaporizing at any
given time.
Emergency responders will not mix water used for firefighting directly with
the anhydrous ammonia, as this could result in warming of the product, causing the liquid to turn into a
toxic vapor cloud. However, they may use a water spray downwind of the leak source to absorb ammonia
gas and dilute the vapor cloud, ensuring the water that is sprayed does not come into contact with the
product.

From today's news:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety rules limited for small fertilizer plants
By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and JACK GILLUM | Associated Press – 4 hrs ago
There were no sprinklers. No firewalls. No water deluge systems. Safety inspections were rare at the fertilizer company in West, Texas, that exploded and killed at least 14 people this week.
This is not unusual.
Small fertilizer plants nationwide fall under the purview of several government agencies, each with a specific concern and none required to coordinate with others on what they have found.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Potosi:
According to this article the plant had mostly ammonium nitrate stored, which was what McVeigh used in Oklahoma City.