Letting Non B Expire Without Reporting

I have a non B that is set to expire April 30th. In the midst of confusion between trying to find a new job and Songkron, I missed my 90 day reporting on the 10th (8 days now...) I called the company I work for and asked them what I should do. They said that I can skip the 90 day reporting thing altogether because I am not going to use this non B again after April 30th.

They say that because my non b expires on the 30th, along with my contract, and since I will not be working there anymore, I will have no reason to renew my non B. If I'm not renewing my non B, I have no reason to go report after 90 days. I just let it run out and get whatever new visa I planned on getting. According to them, this is fine, and won't reappear again as some kind of red flag when I'm applying for new visas, and I won't be illegal.

They said, if I wanted to do the 90 day reporting, I could have conceivably extended my non B on the 30th another three months, but seeing as how i'm not working there anymore and my visa is tied to that job, there is no point in doing that. They said you have the option of paying the fine, which through their magic can be reduced to 1000 baht, and is of no real use to me; or just letting it go and getting a new visa after the 30th.

My coworkers, many of whom have been here longer than I have, seem to think this makes sense. I guess it makes sense to me too, but I have never really heard of people skipping things like this. Has me a little bit uneasy. I'd hate to get to a border and all of a sudden have to pay some massive fine for failing to show up to my reporting.

Anyway, any confirmation about whether this is true or not, or any other insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are somewhat confused.

You mention a Non B - presumably a visa - but then state 90 day reporting!

On a non B visa you leave the country every 90 days, not report to immigration.

So, presumably you have an Extension of Stay for working, where you do report your address to immigration every 90 days.

You are required, by law, to report if you are in the Kingdom for 90 consecutive days.

Another problem. If you employment has ended so has your extension of stay - it ends the day your job ends, you return your work permit, inform immigration (with a letter from your former employer) and have to leave the country with 24 hours unless you purchase a 7 day extension.

You face a fine for not making the 90 day report, as Mario correctly says normally 2,000 baht. You also face a fine for overstay at 500 baht per day.

What your employer tells you (and it seems to be wrong) won't impress immigration.

If your employment hasn't yet ended (perhaps it officially ends on 30th April) just do the 90 day report.

You'll still have to get all the official things done for the 30th April, however.

You also wrote "They said, if I wanted to do the 90 day reporting, I could have conceivably extended my non B on the 30th another three months, ..."

That doesn't make much sense. A 90 day report is only reporting your current address in Thailand - nothing more nothing less.

An extension is for working (or some other qualifying reason such as marriage or retirement) and is usually for one year not three months.

I think you should look into this a bit more, especially if you want to come back to Thailand and work again.

One other thing, if you leave via a land border and haven't cleared up all the paperwork you could indeed be sent back to do it.

Hmmmm do you have anything that supports it besides logic? Why would the visa people say something different?

The law states that you must report every 90 days of continuous stay, period. It doesn't matter if you leave after 91 days or 100 days, you must report.

They might think it will be alright not to report since you will leave the country, but that is not sure. You want to stay in Thailand and the next time you do a 90 day report they might notice you didn't do this one. Then they might ignore it or fine you.

Hmmmm do you have anything that supports it besides logic? Why would the visa people say something different?

You told your "visa people" that your visa expired on 30 April. Perhaps they understood that you have a multiple-entry non-B visa valid for an unlimited number of entries until April 30 and by telling you that you can extend it by another 90 days they meant that you could a border run on 30 April and this way get a new permission to stay for 90 days. In such situation, no 90-day reports are necessary because unless you overstay you never stay longer than 90 days in Thailand with a multiple-entry non-B visa.