Extending The Expiry Date Of 1-2-Call Sim

wcoast

I've had the same SIM card for a few years but I wasn't able to return to Thailand in the last year and my sim is about to expire. I've had some friends load 100 baht on to it but it only extended one month. I have extended it for a year previously, how do I do it again? 300baht at one time seems to ring a bell with me.

Thx

from a mobile

300 baht gets you about 3 months, if you don't use the credit, go to a shop that sells the phones and sims. Ask them to extend the time. It costs about 30 Baht. Before I learned this I had over 1000 Baht credit. My wife does it for me, so it costs me more, as somehow 100 Baht gets transferred to her phone. laugh.png

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

I believe both AIS and DTAC have promotions that allow the value to remain for a full year, but the per-minutes costs are higher when you do use the SIM.

You need to change your SIM to one of those promotions - in theory can keep your number even when switching carriers, shouldn't be a problem if you stay with AIS.

Or have a trusted Thai friend use your SIM every once in a while to keep it active.

I Happy SIM card.

When I return to my home country, my lady simply phones the phone company and asks to extend the time the SIM card is valid.

Just asked her ... costs 2 baht per month!

Mosha ... you're getting ripped off ... laugh.png

• Like 1

-

As with telecom companies worldwide it's up to the customer to keep up with the various frequently-changing promotions available and keep swapping over to the one that suits their unique usage patterns at the time.

If you just keep to the same company and the same plan for more than six months you're usually ripping yourself off.

I actually have a callmuang acct. Best deal on the planet.

Topping up through them gets 300baht for about 13-14bucks, which is not a great bargain, and no certainty of extending sim life since I haven't tried it.

from a mobile

Edited by wcoast

300 baht gets you about 3 months, if you don't use the credit, go to a shop that sells the phones and sims. Ask them to extend the time. It costs about 30 Baht. Before I learned this I had over 1000 Baht credit. My wife does it for me, so it costs me more, as somehow 100 Baht gets transferred to her phone. laugh.png

There is a difference. If the money in your acc have been spent - you lose your number. Not a drama, but inconvenience.

If you have money in your acc - what they do is illegal. Go tell them to reinstate you. It is actually a theft. I did.laugh.png

Not sure about 1-call, but I would be surprised if they don't have a similar service to the one below. (This is for DTAC by the way):

SIM card validity expired? You can increase it up to a year for 2 baht for 1 month. Dial: *113*[number of days to request extension for]*9#[call button]

Just an update to my last post, this is the code for one 2 call (I have not verified that this works!):

"I see dialing *500*9# as means to extend the validity without uploading new money. But you can only get that extended to a year in advance".

One of many threads on this subject here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/611714-dtac-phone-tip/?hl=%2B12call#entry6018800

Chrisinth is basically right but you will need to shell out 30 baht per month on this basis and I am not sure but you may have to call them to extend more than one month.

Follow the bottom link in MJCM's post in the topic above.

Just an update to my last post, this is the code for one 2 call (I have not verified that this works!):

"I see dialing *500*9# as means to extend the validity without uploading new money. But you can only get that extended to a year in advance".

Thanks ... That info on DTAC may be the best piece of info I've ever received from ThaiVisa. Worked like a charm.

I Happy SIM card.

When I return to my home country, my lady simply phones the phone company and asks to extend the time the SIM card is valid.

Just asked her ... costs 2 baht per month!

Not sure about 1-call, but I would be surprised if they don't have a similar service to the one below. (This is for DTAC by the way):

SIM card validity expired? You can increase it up to a year for 2 baht for 1 month. Dial: *113*[number of days to request extension for]*9#[call button]

Looks like it's a similar deal across more then one network.

Cheap as @ 2 Baht a month ... thumbsup.gif

How do you know when your sim card has expired? I'm in Canada and haven't use this AIS 1-2 call phone for 2 years I assume the card is dead but the phone appears to work normally though I can't make calls from here right now to verify. I was going to top up online but then my number may have expired.

I had over 2000 credit and I was out of Thailand for 5 months, they shut down my sim. On my return I complained and the lady at the counter said sorry nothing can be done as that is the system. I asked to see the manager and explained the situation, she gave me a new sim and added my previous credit to the new sim.