Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link Revenue Breaks Even For The First Time

webfact

Airport Link revenue breaks even for the first time

BANGKOK, 19 April 2013 (NNT) - According to the Transport Ministry, the Airport Rail Link operator broke even for the first time during the last quarter after suffering revenue losses since the start of the train operation.

SRT Electrified Train Co Ltd (SRTET) has reportedly hit the 500-million-baht annual revenue mark, recording 50,000 passengers per day, or 115 percent of total passenger capacity. The operator expects the rail service to reap profits during the next 4-5 years.

SRTET earlier stated that despite the implementation of the 20-baht flat fare promotion in 2012, their revenue continued to drop and had previously sustained a monthly loss of 1.8 million baht.

The ministry made known that the SRTET is also set to borrow 420 million baht to boost the agency’s liquidity. The State Railway of Thailand will work on the masterplan to oversee methods to pay back the loans.

In addition, the SRTET’s proposal to purchase 7 trains with a price tag of 5.2 billion baht was flagged by the ministry as being overpriced. The agency was urged to procure cheaper alternatives as German Siemens trains, the preferred choice for Thailand’s rail services, had been priced more moderately.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-19 footer_n.gif

Once they complete the sensible connection of the right end of the wrong-ended Makkasan station, there will be an easy connection to the MRT and to taxis going in the direction of Sukhamwit. After completion, they should widely publicize the improvement in order to win back passengers who were burned by this "station to no where."

The Airport Link stations are closing the lifts and escalators ... why???? Ratchaprarop station 3 of 3 escalators are shut down and one of three lifts were closed, like in February. Hua Mac station has had 2 of three escalators closed for some time and 1 of three lifts. The lifts to the ticketing area are so well hidden every day I see tourists lugging their suitcases up and down the stairs. Not a very good Thai face for tourists to see.

If at 115% of capacity a break-even is reached, what will be next?

1.) extra carriages are / will be ordered
2.) passengers will be cozily squeezed together a wee bit more (with luggage of course)
3.) someone will point out that the 2.2 trillion loan includes a few Baht for this rail link
4.) just more of the same

now can they please turn on the up escalators and get the broken ones repaired.

what kind of clowns decide to turn of the escalator during hot season?

I actually emailed a Thai director from Suvarnabhumi about this once a little over a year ago. His response was that he was sorry for the inconvenience, but it was necessary to "separate departing and arriving visitors". I almost wrote him back saying that I'd be happy to quote his official discouragement of ARL use, but since that wasn't EXACTLY what he said... What kind of clowns decide to turn off the escalators at ANY time? People need to get back & forth to the basement level if they're going to use the ARL!! Duh! Does it have something to do with not wanting to allow arriving pax up to the departures floor where they might try & catch a taxi bypassing the queues (& maybe the 50b airport fee)? Games & more games.

Doesn't seem to get many favourable votes does it ??? ABOUT time they got off their ars#s and had a DIRECT line from DonM K airport to Swampy. after all the numbers of increased tourists, having to run the gauntlet between the two. Government you built an international airport that was never going to handle the business, Having to RE-OPEN and sod off airlines to Don Muang, that will be doing near as much business as Swampy in time, AND NOT having a direct link---STUPID to say the least, Get sorted please do not give us anymore B-S3#t about other means to get there---

This rail link is absolute rubbish. Escalators always off. Small escalators. Escalators in totally hidden locations. Extraordinarily long walks to get to platform. Absolutely abhorrent signage. Elevators that you can barely fit normal-sized luggage into. Turnstiles that you often see tourists with normal-sized luggages getting stuck between because they are too small.

Huge gaps between train and platform (not good for luggage).

Very narrow trains carriages (not good for luggage).

It's a Thai-only planned and Thai-only run line for sure. That I am certain.

But, common; it's the best they can do, so maybe we should cut them some slack.

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 2

It was a white elephant from the moment it was conceived. They have no idea how to implement a project of this magnitude. More to the point, it is not their objective to implement a system designed to benefit the commuter, tourist or traveller, but rather to trouser the cash skimmed off from lucrative contracts and back-handers. Any other considerations are secondary.

The public will use it simply because they do not have any other choice.

It is saddled with billions of Baht worth of debt (same as the BTS and the MRT) that can never be paid off in our lifetimes. It will take 40 years of it working at a profit to make a dent in the debt, which won't happen, as corruption will ensure the money is siphoned off before it ever reaches the creditors.

• Like 1

It was a white elephant from the moment it was conceived. They have no idea how to implement a project of this magnitude. More to the point, it is not their objective to implement a system designed to benefit the commuter, tourist or traveller, but rather to trouser the cash skimmed off from lucrative contracts and back-handers. Any other considerations are secondary.

The public will use it simply because they do not have any other choice.

It is saddled with billions of Baht worth of debt (same as the BTS and the MRT) that can never be paid off in our lifetimes. It will take 40 years of it working at a profit to make a dent in the debt, which won't happen, as corruption will ensure the money is siphoned off before it ever reaches the creditors.

Ahh, yes, the bigger picture indeed. I do though sometimes wonder how much better things would be even without the pervasive mega corruption. Would things here be only marginally better or much better?

Anyway, what can I do about it. I'm going to spend the next hour thinking about what beer I'm going to buy at Emporium, what Thai snacks I'm going to ge to go with it, which young (as in, 23 - 25) thing of two little hotties who work in HR and marketing depts at my firm I'm going to invite over and then .. what work project we're going to work on.

One is rather stuck up (typical Thammasat grad) but who I find very physically attractive. The other is not stuck up, but I often tire of her discussion about unremarkable food I've been eating for years now here, and she is known to gossip in the office about everything, and not sure I want some of the other blokes knowing my business.

wai.gif

Edited by PaullyW

You only have to look at Hong Kong and Singapore to see examples where eradication of wholesale corruption has had enormous social benefits in raising living standards of the general public. It is no coincidence that both share impeccable public transport systems and airport links. Both airports are superb (Changi almost to a fault) and both easily accessible by rail link from nearly anywhere.

In stark contrast, Thailand has an airport which even when built couldn't cope with the volume of traffic it was expected to handle, has had numerous problems including; corruption on an incredible scale from the land to the building right down to the escalators, fire trucks and scanners, Duty Free concessions involving corruption, criminal activity, and it is widely acknowledged to be under the control of not the Airport Authority, but of three 'mafia' families.

Three wheels on my wagon and I'm still rolling along.

• Like 2

Listen to some of you guys laugh.png

I like the airport trains. The express is fine (and plenty of luggage space) and reasonably priced to take you to the downtown area. The all stops service is also handy (and cheap) if you are staying around Ramkhamhaeng area, or other stations inbetween. Out of peak times it is hardly crowded

If you have a LOT of luggage then a taxi might suit you better, or if you are in a group, you might save a few baht also, but with just one bag or two the train is fine. Unlike the taxi you don't have the same risk of injury or worse in a traffic accident, Due to erratic driving and drivers suffering fatigue or under the influence of something. Nor do you have to sit stuck in traffic for interminable amounts of time.

When I get on/off at the other end in Sydney the 'airport' train is a regular commuter train, in peak hours much like the BTS at peak times. Try getting your luggage and yourself on that. You could take a taxi but that would cost you a bomb a fortune in Sydney.

As a system, not comparing to others, it functions fine and is reasonably priced. Comparing with my hometown it works great thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Listen to some of you guys

I like the airport trains. The express is fine (and plenty of luggage space) and reasonably priced to take you to the downtown area. The all stops service is also handy (and cheap) if you are staying around Ramkhamhaeng area, or other stations inbetween. Out of peak times it is hardly crowded

If you have a LOT of luggage then a taxi might suit you better, or if you are in a group, you might save a few baht also, but with just one bag or two the train is fine. Unlike the taxi you don't have the same risk of injury or worse in a traffic accident, Due to erratic driving and drivers suffering fatigue or under the influence of something. Nor do you have to sit stuck in traffic for interminable amounts of time.

When I get on/off at the other end in Sydney the 'airport' train is a regular commuter train, in peak hours much like the BTS at peak times. Try getting your luggage and yourself on that. You could take a taxi but that would cost you a bomb a fortune in Sydney.

As a system, not comparing to others, it functions fine and is reasonably priced. Comparing with my hometown it works great

Totally agree. The train works great and gets me to where I'm going. If your lugging around lots of luggage well yes that might be a pain but that's nothing specific to this train system. Maybe consider less luggage.

Although I sometimes need to rent a car if I don't I always use the train. Taxi drivers from the airport seem to all have a death wish. No seat belts also. Not safe in my opinion but then again I don't ride motorcycles and lots of people do so I suppose cost and convenience win out over safety for most.

Funny thing about motorcycles is that I'd guess 50-70% of my friends who ride bikes have been in an accident, serious or not, but still ride. Yet if you have one issue with a plane you'd never ride that airline again. I don't get it.

• Like 1

You only have to look at Hong Kong and Singapore to see examples where eradication of wholesale corruption has had enormous social benefits in raising living standards of the general public. It is no coincidence that both share impeccable public transport systems and airport links. Both airports are superb (Changi almost to a fault) and both easily accessible by rail link from nearly anywhere.

In stark contrast, Thailand has an airport which even when built couldn't cope with the volume of traffic it was expected to handle, has had numerous problems including; corruption on an incredible scale from the land to the building right down to the escalators, fire trucks and scanners, Duty Free concessions involving corruption, criminal activity, and it is widely acknowledged to be under the control of not the Airport Authority, but of three 'mafia' families.

the airport is good. getting good rankings in international comparison.

it is not Changi, yes. If you like Singapore more why don't go work over there.

I'll join in on this. It's fun.

If you are Chinese, why don't you go back there?

• Like 1

Listen to some of you guys laugh.png

As a system, not comparing to others, it functions fine and is reasonably priced. Comparing with my hometown it works great thumbsup.gif

You have your view that some share and others do not. No troubles.

Whatever you said of your view on the subject does not make what others have said here untrue. Whether you like something or not has no impact on the truth of corruption/financial success/how poorly planned and executed the project is.

Some blokes have pitifully low standards, and particularly blokes (many who led cheap and unsubstantial lives in their home countries) who end up old and cheap and over here in Thailand, and there are plenty of Western countries and cities and projects which too are poorly planned and executed and rubbish, so your anecdotal experiences in your hometown are too largely irrelevant.

Whether we like it or not has much to do with things which, by their very nature, are self-serving, selfish. You like it because it serves you well. Problem is that it might not serve many other people as well as it should or be as inexpensive as it should be or as convenient as it should be or as good for the Thai people or Thai's image as it should be. Most of us judge things according only to our selfish ambitions.

Cheers

Edited by PaullyW

i worked in Singapore. Now i am in Bangkok. it is not perfect here. but not that bad that i would complain all the time.

if i dislike a place or dislike a job i would not stay but move.

if you not work here but are just a tourists - move too. China is recommended for having a visit, a lot of nice places there.

life is too short for boring moans. be happy.

Whatever you said of your view on the subject does not make what others have said here untrue. Whether you like something or not has no impact on the truth of corruption/financial success/how poorly planned and executed the project is.

Some blokes have pitifully low standards, and particularly blokes (many who led cheap and unsubstantial lives in their home countries) who end up old and cheap and over here in Thailand, and there are plenty of Western countries and cities and projects which too are poorly planned and executed and rubbish, so your anecdotal experiences in your hometown are too largely irrelevant.

Whether we like it or not has much to do with things which, by their very nature, are self-serving, selfish. You like it because it serves you well. Problem is that it might not serve many other people as well as it should or be as inexpensive as it should be or as convenient as it should be or as good for the Thai people or Thai's image as it should be. Most of us judge things according only to our selfish ambitions.

Cheers

My anecdotal experiences? As a user of the system what other experiences can I possibly have other than first hand anecdotal experiences? laugh.png I don't need to scientifically analyse the system to know if as a user I find it adequate. I do like it because it serves me well, and clearly another 50,000 passengers a day agree with me.

Like I said PaullYW: As a system, not comparing to others, it functions fine and is reasonably priced.

From your post you don't seem to find anything good about the system. You complain of long walks to platforms and 'hidden' escalators, tursnstiles too small, abhorrent signage...

I suspect that you are a man who is not easily pleased with any facet of his life Paully. smile.png

• Like 1

i worked in Singapore. Now i am in Bangkok. it is not perfect here. but not that bad that i would complain all the time.

if i dislike a place or dislike a job i would not stay but move.

if you not work here but are just a tourists - move too. China is recommended for having a visit, a lot of nice places there.

life is too short for boring moans. be happy.

I work all over Asia and the US. I am in Bangkok, too. It's not perfect anywhere. I like to complain about all the places I go.

If I dislike a place or dislike a job, I would stay and complain.

Life is too short for boring people who don't complain. Complaining makes me happy.

See how that works? Your view is not the same as my view. And, your thought process is rather juvenile.

• Like 1

Cheers

My anecdotal experiences? As a user of the system what other experiences can I possibly have other than first hand anecdotal experiences? laugh.png I don't need to scientifically analyse the system to know if as a user I find it adequate. I do like it because it serves me well, and clearly another 50,000 passengers a day agree with me.

Like I said PaullYW: As a system, not comparing to others, it functions fine and is reasonably priced.

From your post you don't seem to find anything good about the system. You complain of long walks to platforms and 'hidden' escalators, tursnstiles too small, abhorrent signage...

I suspect that you are a man who is not easily pleased with any facet of his life Paully. smile.png

Hmmm, seems the point was lost on you. The point is not to suggest that you could have any other experiences than your own. Rather, the point is that your experiences are only your own.

50,000 people riding doesn't mean that the system serves their purposes as well as it should/could. Do you get that? Perhaps it is the best option among all poor options. Do you get that?

Yes, I think that as a new project of its type in a country that is allegedly recently industrialised, it is rather poorly planned and executed. But, to evaluate such matters, one might benefit from some type of engineering, or large scale project management, or transportation-related experience. Someone who is judging the system from the point of view of "well, it gets me to where I'm going, and I like it just fine" is not likely the kind of person who would be sophisticated enough to properly evaluate such a mega project from a business perspective.

As for your guess about me, yes, I find much to complain about, but I am happy with a good portion of my life. Mostly though, it has to do with money and sex. Is that acceptable?

Cheers and have a great afternoon. Found a wonderful Thai-manufactured cream liquor that I think I like better than Baileys (and others I've tried in the US). Great stuff.

Cheers

Hmmm, seems the point was lost on you. The point is not to suggest that you could have any other experiences than your own. Rather, the point is that your experiences are only your own.

50,000 people riding doesn't mean that the system serves their purposes as well as it should/could. Do you get that? Perhaps it is the best option among all poor options. Do you get that?

Yes, I think that as a new project of its type in a country that is allegedly recently industrialised, it is rather poorly planned and executed. But, to evaluate such matters, one might benefit from some type of engineering, or large scale project management, or transportation-related experience. Someone who is judging the system from the point of view of "well, it gets me to where I'm going, and I like it just fine" is not likely the kind of person who would be sophisticated enough to properly evaluate such a mega project from a business perspective.

As for your guess about me, yes, I find much to complain about, but I am happy with a good portion of my life. Mostly though, it has to do with money and sex. Is that acceptable?

Cheers and have a great afternoon. Found a wonderful Thai-manufactured cream liquor that I think I like better than Baileys (and others I've tried in the US). Great stuff.

Your posts remind me of a right wing radio shock jock, attacking the person not the argument (in this case implying I am unsophisticated a couple of times. There is a term for this called Ad hominem. (I give this lesson free)

Your point was not lost on me at all; it isn't like you said anything remotely original nor intellectual.

As a user I evaluate it from a user perspective, as do most users. I countered your extremely negative points regarding user features, that was the point of my post. Surely someone as sophisticated as yourself might have realised this, eh?

As for the guess about you liking to complain, thankyou for confirming that you do, however you don't need to justify it or ask me if is acceptable to me or not. It really is up to you how you live your life PaullyW. smile.png

• Like 1

Cheers

Reminds me of the escalator thread.....now where did I put the link for that? coffee1.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/106518-trolleys-on-escalators-near-disaster/?&hl=trolleys%20on%20escalator

There it is, one of the all time funniest threads on Thaivisa...........enjoy biggrin.png

Edited by theblether