Sunglasses (What Do You Wear/why/cost)

Newguy70

I checked out the Raybans while perusing the mall and it seemed that all of the frames that the various shops had on display would be quite cumbersome when wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Rayban makes a lot of frames. Some are almost frameless & even in metal quite lightweight

Also agree & had forgotten about Maui Jims, good stuff too.

I has another brand that the name escapes me now which was great too.

Anyway here are some Rayban styles close to what I used on a bike before

switching to dark shield full face

Rayban makes a lot of frames. Some are almost frameless & even in metal quite lightweightAlso agree & had forgotten about Maui Jims, good stuff too.I has another brand that the name escapes me now which was great too.Anyway here are some Rayban styles close to what I used on a bike beforeswitching to dark shield full face

Actually all three of these Rayban frames that you posted look like they would do well (nice thin frames). I will keep an eye out for them.

Ahhh I see, hence your addiction to V8 power......... diet maybe ? whistling.gif

Nooooooo, thats one thing l don't have a problem with. smile.png

Ok so your like 7 foot tall and look like a praying mantis mounting a bull dog then ?

Well yeh, but thats between you and me. Shhhhhhhhhhhh. giggle.gif

All plastic block UV,

i buy mine at talat nat, found a design that completely block wind & dirt for around 120 baht,

i use yellow as i lose a bit of distance accuracy with darker,

i replace if they get a scratch as i want perfect view

Plastic doesn't block UV, Poly Carbonate does.

Right, they are both cars- so plastic blocks UV- it just doesn't do it with the efficacy of glass.

Sunray's are UVA or long wave UV's and are not blocked by plastic. Poly carbonate is a polymer and blocks long wave UV.

Oakley Flak Jackets during the day - they work well with the visor up as they can keep the breeze (and flies, and fish meal, rice, dust, etc) away from my eyes. Lab safety specs at night - a free sample sent to the office!

I've been through three pairs of Oakleys over 4 years though - the lenses are prone to scratching

Right, they are both cars- so plastic blocks UV- it just doesn't do it with the efficacy of glass.

Its the other way around, plastic block UV but glass typically doesnt

Yet my Costa Del Mar glass lenses block nearly 50% more harmful light than Oakley plastic lenses- while that could very well be due to a polymer coating, they're still better than plastic alone.

Yet my Costa Del Mar glass lenses block nearly 50% more harmful light than Oakley plastic lenses- while that could very well be due to a polymer coating, they're still better than plastic alone.

Then they are polarized

Then they are polarized
Correct- there's a coating between two lens sections- it's more effective than any plastic lens alone, though, so glass must improve the effect- while it's a bit heavier and can shatter if dropped, I've been using it for years and haven't found a better plastic lens (or a better lens of any kind)- if one is developed I would switch (provided it's at a comparable price-point). Edited by RubberSideDown

Ahhh I see, hence your addiction to V8 power......... diet maybe ? whistling.gif

Nooooooo, thats one thing l don't have a problem with. smile.png

Ok so your like 7 foot tall and look like a praying mantis mounting a bull dog then ?

I come into that description, which would be myself on my Ducati, but more like a monkey f&cking a football at times :D

I use Maui Jims. the polycarbonate are worthless but the older 2000 series glass models are damn near bullet proof. They will scratch if your not careful with them But after my friend that designed the lenses for Maui Jims from 98-2004 left the company the quality has slid down quite a bit & the warranty now sucks. The polys have been to the shop & replaced twice since 2004 & had to fix the frames 3 times & one lense that they overtightened in Peoria Ill. If you do get Jims & have issues send to the Hawaii location on Wainee sreet in Maui. Much better than Head quarters. When these go I will be a Rayban guy. Their customer service is better & they just fix or give you a new pair when their is a problem. The Jims do offer a great polorized lens. And they are shit hot for navigating shallow reefs if your fishing in Maui or anywhere else off a boat!