Thai Wife Schengen Visa In The Uk

What type of UK visa has she applied for? From your OP it sounds like a visit.

Schengen visas, except in emergency circumstances, must be applied for in the applicant's country of residence.

If she is in the UK with a settlement visa then she is a UK resident and so can apply for a Schengen visa in the UK.

But if she is in the UK as a visitor she cannot apply in the UK and must apply in her country of residence; presumably Thailand.

If you are officially and legally married to your Thai wife there should not be a problem.

Under European regulations and laws the legal wife of a EU-citizen is elegible for a 90 day visa on arrival.

The EU-rules stand above the country's laws in these matters.

You need the paperwork of your marriage IN ENGLISH, present it at the immigration checkpoint of any Schengen country.

The officials might baulk, but under European rules they MUST give you a visa on arrival!

If the official does not want to give you the visa, ask for his superior.

He must know!

Checked this out with an MP in Holland, took him some time, but came back to me, indeed those are the EUropean rules.

PS

If your marriage was in Thailand, you need translated and legalized copies of the Kor Ror 2 and the Kor Ror 3!

It helps of your wife has your family name.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1

>>Me and the wife are just waiting for our visa from Be bkk and whilst in the uk we aim to go to Marbella as I prefer to live there for a few months .

>>Can she apply in the uk?

No.

I've tried that before. My lady got a 6 months' visa to visit the UK a few years ago and I wanted to take her to France while she was in the UK. I was told in no uncertain terms that she would have to go back to Bangkok to apply for a Schengen visa. So I suggest you go to a relevant Schengen embassy and apply for a visa (that I think are only valid for 3 months but I may be wrong) before you leave Bangkok. But even then you may have problems because you'll need to have a sponsor in the Schengen zone or at least a confirmed hotel booking. It's a real pain. I hope the system has changed since but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Confused as one states use our marriage certificate which is the easiest option for us as it is translated . Can you confirm that is the case?

As in the post directly beneath - we own the properties out right since 1996 does this count ?

Thanks for the advice guys just don't want to waste 10 more days in bkk if I can help it. Thanks again

My wife got her Schengen visa in Bangkok, using the EU Directive, you need only show that you are traveling together, your marriage certificate (Translated, stamped by MFA and by your Embassy) and copies of your passport, the visa is free.

• Like 1

Ok then so as not to screw up our uk visa and loose time .

Gibraltar uk property uk immigration - can we fly there?

From http://www.visitgibraltar.gi/get-there-visa

As a general rule, those who require a visa for entry to the UK also require a separate visa for entry to Gibraltar.

Applications should be made to any British Diplomatic Visa Issuing post in the applicant’s normal country of residence (British Embassy)

Hansnl is correct. The EEA regulations do say that a non EEA national travelling with or to join their EEA national family member does not need a visa to enter the Schengen area; as long as they can prove their relationship to immigration at their port of entry to the Schengen area.

But, anecdotal evidence suggests that it is not as simple as that. Not only have people reported difficulties at immigration on arrival, some have even said that their airline has refused to board them as they did not have a visa for their destination.

As a Schengen visa for a family member of an EEA national is easy to obtain (most of the requirements, including those mentioned by galoubet above, don't apply) it will also be free. Therefore I would advise obtaining one.

Note that although the UK, including the UKBA, will accept a translation of your marriage certificate certified by the translator only; Schengen countries want it certified by the Thai MFA.

Edited by 7by7