Golden Labradour Pups

Does anyone know if two golden labs can produce black pups?

My girl was supposedly knocked up by another golden but I now have 5 black puppies!

Has something jumped the fence??

2 have ridge backs....

They look very much like labs though, beautiful either way :o

A black and a blonde can make black, blondes or chocolate. I think two blondes would make blondes and two blacks would make blacks but check with a vet. All puppies are cute, but if they grow up to be mutts they most likely will end up as soi dogs, little market for mutts here.

two possibilities:

1. a grandparent that is black ; w/great grandparent also black probably

or

2. two pups are purebred and a second male mated her also (several males can have several pups with a bitch, every egg (ovum) gets fertilized separately .....

from genotype makes different phenotype

(just example)

if B = Blonde , dominant gene

and b =Black , recessive gene

BB = Blonde

Bb =Blonde

bb = Black

if father= Br ,Mother =Br

pup can be BB , Bb and BB

(but in fact , it has more than 2 genes control color , thats why we can see chocolate color also ..but my example might give you some idea)

Thanks for the info everyone.

It turns out that there is a black dog in the same yard that the male was in, my wife didn't think he could be the father as it is too young so she didn't mention it, she doesn't know male dogs very well :D

Apparently it is a Lab also but I will check it out tomorrow. The pups look every inch Lab as far as I can tell but are only 3 days old now. They have black coats with blond "highlights" kind of nice but we will need to look for good homes for them, a few are already spoken for and I will keep one, we have 10 rai for them to run around on.

So much for the Golden stud, out done by a pup it seems :o

just want to clarify:

golden = golden retriever, a different breed that only comes in shades of red and gold to white

labs come in white (yellow), chocolate and black w/NO WHITE TIPS OR SHADE ALLOWED unless standards have changed .......yellows can be almost white (cant remember nose colours very well)

Does anyone know if two golden labs can produce black pups?

My girl was supposedly knocked up by another golden but I now have 5 black puppies!

Has something jumped the fence??

2 have ridge backs....

They look very much like labs though, beautiful either way :o

I got a 1 meter fence. Labradors jumps this fence easy every day.

When a female dog got mentration the males will find ways that we thought were impossible. Once found entry you will see the male dog often.

In your case you never saw an other dog in your garden, so I guess the father is who he is suposed to be.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the info everyone.

It turns out that there is a black dog in the same yard that the male was in, my wife didn't think he could be the father as it is too young so she didn't mention it, she doesn't know male dogs very well biggrin.gif

Apparently it is a Lab also but I will check it out tomorrow. The pups look every inch Lab as far as I can tell but are only 3 days old now. They have black coats with blond "highlights" kind of nice but we will need to look for good homes for them, a few are already spoken for and I will keep one, we have 10 rai for them to run around on.

So much for the Golden stud, out done by a pup it seems rolleyes.gif

Can you post a picture of the whole litter, parent or parents and all. I am interested in one of the Pups if still available. PM me or skype me through this site location

I got a 1 meter fence. Labradors jumps this fence easy every day.

When a female dog got mentration the males will find ways that we thought were impossible. Once found entry you will see the male dog often.

In your case you never saw an other dog in your garden, so I guess the father is who he is suposed to be.

I can understand that, when I lived in Lampang I often watched the dog next door climb the 2M high fence between our houses, a clever dog I thought!