Whats Killing Our Fish

10days ago our neighbour lost all her fish,this week we had 2 of our goldies die,yesterday we cleaned the pond and put the fish[10] in some bags to aclimatise with the fresh water[4hrs] through the night 7 have died ones we have had for over 3yrs,our friend was with us last evening and she told us nearly all her fish are lifeless and havent been eating,they have a state of the art pool with some very nice koi carp,during the evening her sister rang her to say her co.have just lost all of their carp,i checked the fish and they looked well except for what looks like some bleeding behind the gills.as we have only just had some rain the first since sept.could it be acid rain.

Some posts here might be of help ... fish-farming-when-it-goes-belly-up

had a good look at your problem 48,i used to do a lot of fishing in the uk.trout& salmon we used to have trouble on still waters after it rained,it was like oil slicks on the surface.mine have been dying over the last 12days,there is plenty of oxygen as i have a fountain and 2 spouting fish.there has been plenty of algae lately but the fish were happy and feeding till 10days ago.the last big one died last night no white spots or bulging eye's it just looked in perfect nick,i have only 3 small ones left that was 5hrs ago so i have to go and check,its quite a large tiled pond with 3,000lts.and 3ft.depth water souce is from the tap supply.

Are all water bodies where fish died only fed with rainwater? If tap water is used too, would see if there's anything "funny" going on with the tap water.

If only rain water, and it has not rained for a long time, you could look at whether there's any herbicides and/or insecticides that may have been used in the area in preceding months may have been washed into the water by the rain. If chemicals are regularly used, they could accumulate on the topsoil and easily get washed into the water. If it rains regularly, they may not be very concentrated as they are flushed out, but if they have accumulated and there was only a little bit of rain this water could have been highly contaminated with the concentrated chemicals.

Just a suggestion, can't really think of any other reason why the fish in different nearby locations all die in the same period.

Hi all sorry you have lost your fish the Big Q is are your ponds/pools fed by tap water because of late they have started to put fluorine in the mains water which definitely will kill your fish. Take a sample and bring it to a lab to have it analysed to see what contaminants are in the water. Good luck hope you all find the source of the problem.

spoke with our neighbour last night his fish have perked up a bit since he put salt in the water.there has been a lot of burning of rubish ect.as our yard is covered with black ash also its falling into the pond.the last 3 fish we have left up to last night seem ok.as for the tap water it is tessabaan supplied.

It was a simple thing for me, the wife was putting fertilizer in to feed the lotus plants in there. That did them in.

Recently one has to think the heat/sun is playing a part in problems, My pond gas turned green but the turtle doesn't seem to care.