The Best Fuel?

CRUNCHER

In a few weeks I will (hopefully) take possession of a new Honda City. After years of driving a diesel I would appreciate some advice on the best fuel for my new City.

What I am asking is what is the difference between E10 91, E10 95 and E20 as far as engine care and engine performance is concerned?

Most of the old threads I have turned up focus on cost and fuel consumption. I can factor in these myself. What I want to know is what is best for the engine and what will give me the best ride. Disappointingly the dealer was little help and the advice was little more than "up to you." Most of my driving is short trips around town.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the primary criteria are engine care & performance, and cost is no object = Caltex Techron Benzene 95 @ ~45 Baht/L - nothing beats a good benzene fuel, and the Techron additives do a good job of keeping the internals clean.

If cost or availability in your area is a problem, my next vote would go to Shell V-Power Nitro+ @ ~40 Baht/L, but it's an Ethanol blend.. It's my fall-back when there's no Techron Benzene available.

Admittedly, you may not notice much or any difference in a 120HP 1.5L...

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Viable comment, but the average Guy is happy wIth 32 Bht a Litre,against your 40Bht. The Honda Range runs well on E85,if you can find any North of Watford. KMPL doesn't drop as much that it warrants hi price fuel.Ask any New Civic user.17.5 on E 20 for me anyway.thumbsup.gif Coldnt find E20 last week so i used Gasoholl 95 and the TING dropped to 15.5... Worst i can get is 8.5 driving like a TUNA MAN . P.S. Don't go Off Topic or bring Humour here, its life and death to some. cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

Give all of the fuels a try and see what works best. I don't fine any noticeable difference in performance/economy between E20and E10 in my suzuki so far. Got close to 20km/l on an open run to Ratchaburi recently on E20. Perhaps the V-powers and nitros will give a slight increase in performance, but I don't see these as economical due to their high cost.

• 1 month later...

My wife has a CR-V 2.4 and wants to change over to E85 I was wondering about performance and efficiency and the availability in most service stations.

Also do you need to be near empty to change over ?

My wife has a CR-V 2.4 and wants to change over to E85 I was wondering about performance and efficiency and the availability in most service stations.

Also do you need to be near empty to change over ?

Well, if it was bought before September 2012, don't put any E85 in it ;)

If it's a MY2013 (new shape) model, just go ahead and pump it in - there's no need to empty the tank first - all that's going to happen is you'll be running slightly less than 85% Ethanol for a while.

Fuel efficiency will drop on E85, but it will cost less per KM to run. As for availability, that's very hit and miss. Around greater BKK there's a few stations but upcountry you're unlikely to find it. No problem, just fill with E20 or E10 if you have to - it's perfectly fine to run odd mixes.

If the primary criteria are engine care & performance, and cost is no object = Caltex Techron Benzene 95 @ ~45 Baht/L - nothing beats a good benzene fuel, and the Techron additives do a good job of keeping the internals clean.

If cost or availability in your area is a problem, my next vote would go to Shell V-Power Nitro+ @ ~40 Baht/L, but it's an Ethanol blend.. It's my fall-back when there's no Techron Benzene available.

I use about 1 tank of fuel each week, and for the reasons you give I fill the tank with Caltex Techron every fourth (or fifth) tank. I use gasohol 95 or E20 depending on what is available otherwise. I prefer Shell fuels if I am close to a Shell station. I really don't see any difference in performance between the fuels I use -- no knocking or pinging ever, and pick-up seems to be the same regardless of the fuel I use. And 1 tank in 4 helps to balance the much higher cost of the Caltax fuels -- I certainly wouldn't use it every time I fill up. I understood that gasohol was actually a better engine cleaner/solvent than gasoline, and the big issue between gasohol and benzine is higher engine heat and upper head cooling and lubrication.

The OP, I think, really got the best advice from the dealer -- "up to you". Try a tank full of each fuel type and see which one give the best performance. I expect that he won't find any noticeable difference among fuels, but you never know.

The best fuel for performance and engine care is petrol which in this country is only available as Benzine 95. If you are only keeping your car for 3 or 4 years then ethanol shouldn't cause any problems.

My wife usually runs her 2.0 170 bhp Focus on 95 benzene and she feels there is a notable difference between that and gasohol in both performance and economy. For myself I always run my Ducati on Caltex 95 Benzine when I can get it and it runs a lot better on 95 than 91. I avoid ethanol as it rots the plastic tank fitted on Ducatis.

• Like 1

If its Rated as 95,thats what you get, ethanol or not. All in the Mind.Most Cars seem faster just after a washing and polish..coffee1.gif

Sorry Ace the 95 is the Octane, the ethanol content is going to impact on your economy and the longer term impact on the engine may be debatable. As for performance in theory the ethanol content shouldn't reduce performance. For my Ducati I'd rather have 98 but its not available here. 95 is the minimum grade in the UK.

• Like 1

OP "cruncher"

Have a 8 month old City in the camp great motor and never used anything but E20 but if not available you can use just about anything esle other than E85 and diesel of course.

Have a Yaris 2008 as well running a long time on E20 and never any problems.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

OP "cruncher"

Have a 8 month old City in the camp great motor and never used anything but E20 but if not available you can use just about anything esle other than E85 and diesel of course.

Thanks. Early days yet, but so far so good on E20

OP "cruncher"

Thanks. Early days yet, but so far so good on E20

Yep ! E20 will be OK and the cheaper of petrol fuels..

I understand peoples concerns and wanting the best for their cars but a lot of it has nothing to do with the manufacturers who have spent millions on development and design on components of engines, never mind your Thai dealer, Honda will say E20 is OK to use in your Honda City.

It is also OK to mix other fuels with E20 within the tank at a fill station that does not have E20 available, 91 gasohol is the next step and so on up the price scale.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Viable comment, but the average Guy is happy wIth 32 Bht a Litre,against your 40Bht. The Honda Range runs well on E85,if you can find any North of Watford. KMPL doesn't drop as much that it warrants hi price fuel.Ask any New Civic user.17.5 on E 20 for me anyway.thumbsup.gif Coldnt find E20 last week so i used Gasoholl 95 and the TING dropped to 15.5... Worst i can get is 8.5 driving like a TUNA MAN . P.S. Don't go Off Topic or bring Humour here, its life and death to some. cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

You're the one who's off-topic here!thumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif He specifically said he didn't want advice on cost and consumption.thumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ethanol has lower energy content than pure petrol. Ethanol contains about 23.5 MJ/L energy content, while pure petrol contains about 35 MJ/L. Gasohol would therefore contain less energy, which should result in not only lower km/L economy, but also in performance. Back when I could find pure 91 octane petrol, I noticed the difference in acceleration between pure 91 and E10 gasohol when accelerating uphill on the same tollway on-ramp that use each day. It would seem to follow that E20 would offer lower performance than E10.

• Like 1

Give all of the fuels a try and see what works best. I don't fine any noticeable difference in performance/economy between E20and E10 in my suzuki so far. Got close to 20km/l on an open run to Ratchaburi recently on E20. Perhaps the V-powers and nitros will give a slight increase in performance, but I don't see these as economical due to their high cost.

You wouldn't really, but as IMHO says it's more about what's happening INTERNALLY in your engine then what's being felt in performance.

• Like 1

...and the science behind that????

• Like 1

The science behind using Benzine 95 @ 45Baht/L is that the benzine releases more energy than ethanol when burned. More energy - more power to the wheels - better fuel economy. IMHO's second choice - Shell Nito+ is just a personal preference.

There will be enough difference to feel it when burning benzine comparing to gasohol even on a small 1.5L engine.

Cost wise it may or may not be better, while it will get you more km/L, cost of the benzine is about 25-30% higher than the 91 E10, increase in km/L won't be that high. While the Benzine 91 was available, it was the best fuel for most of the cars/bikes on Thai roads.

• Like 1

The science behind using Benzine 95 @ 45Baht/L is that the benzine releases more energy than ethanol when burned. More energy - more power to the wheels - better fuel economy. IMHO's second choice - Shell Nito+ is just a personal preference.

There will be enough difference to feel it when burning benzine comparing to gasohol even on a small 1.5L engine.

Cost wise it may or may not be better, while it will get you more km/L, cost of the benzine is about 25-30% higher than the 91 E10, increase in km/L won't be that high. While the Benzine 91 was available, it was the best fuel for most of the cars/bikes on Thai roads.

You may think that is science but iit isn't - you certainly don't want to apply something that simplistic to the internal combustion engine - unless you want to blow it up!

Rather than worry about the "best" fuel, you might want to worry about the "best" filling stations......the main problem you'll experience with fuel in Thailand is DIRTY or CONTAMINATED fuel.

Storage tanks can get water in them or dirt. I've had to replace fuel line parts due to "dirty" diesel.

Gas and diesel with "additives" and fancy names are in short just a way to get gullible punters to pay more for fuel.

Edited by wilcopops

You may think whatever you like but the BTU of benzine is higher than BTU of ethanol so here's a science for you even though it sounds as simple as that. Higher BTU, hither the power output. For the same reason diesel engines have so much more power and better fuel economy in the same package as gas engines, diesel BTU is a lot higher than benzine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You may think whatever you like but the BTU of benzine is higher than BTU of ethanol so here's a science for you even though it sounds as simple as that. Higher BTU, hither the power output. For the same reason diesel engines have so much more power and better fuel economy in the same package as gas engines, diesel BTU is a lot higher than benzine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you think that changing the forecourt fuel in your car make any significant increase the power, you are seriously mistaken.

Edited by wilcopops