Woodstock Icon Richie Havens Dies At 72

webfact

Woodstock icon Richie Havens dies at 72

445px-Richie_Havens_-_1974-agency.jpg
Richie Havens 1974
File photo, source: Wikipedia.org

JERSEY CITY: -- Richie Havens, the folk singer who opened the legendary 1969 Woodstock rock festival, has died of a heart attack at 72.

He died at his home in Jersey City, New Jersey, his agent, Roots Agency, told Reuters.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, the musician was famous for his distinctive guitar and singing style.

Recalling Woodstock, Havens once said: "Everything in my life, and so many others', is attached to that train.''

His improvised version of the gospel song Motherless Child evolved into Freedom at the festival and became an anthem of the 1960s hippie generation.

The Woodstock concert film captured his performance for posterity.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22259627

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-04-23

I saw Ritchie perform at Sylvan theatre, right below DC's Washington monument. It was the first official 'Earth Day'. Corretta Scott King spoke there, and the Chambers Brothers performed. Great day all around. Bye bye Ritchie, love ya, dude. Interesting, but not surprising to me, that so many musicians we now hold dear, got a great springboard leap from Woodstock. Just recently, we paid homage to Alvin Lee in a similar vein. Would have been fun to have been at some of those backstage get-togethers during Woodstock.

The summer of 69 I saw Richie Havens at Woodstock, Newport and Central Park. And the highlight of that time for me was to meet him at Passim (nee Club 47) in Harvard Square where I had the chance to share a few words with him. He was humble, gentle, and a truly beautiful human being.

He would sit on a stool, put his guitar over his crossed knee, and start his totally unique strumming. He'd pound the strings, eyes closed, sweat pouring down, until he and his audience were tapping their feet, clapping hands, totally as one. Wow.. the memories. His gravelly voice was incomparable, definitely helped by having no teeth.

He got teeth in the 80s and did a TV commercial, but the voice was different. Anyone remember the ad?

His first album was "Mixed Bag" for anyone who has never heard his music.

Edited by NowImEasy