Marriage Visa Is Making Me Grumpy!

...I do beleive it is Thai law that changing places of residence, needs to be updated on their their ID cards within 90 days...

I believe the card holder's address is not stated on the Thai ID card.

registered address certainly is - ie the one on the tabieen baan.

Yeah, that makes sense, but it is not what immigration have told us. We live in Trang and they refused to do the visa, so we called Nakhon Sri Thammarrat immigration (where my wife is registered) and they said we have to do it there. And we need to take a guarantor to act as proof that we live together.

Just by way of info, in Krabi, immigration insisted that the guarantor be Thai and a Krabi resident ,ie:registered tabian baan in Krabi.

You just never know what immigration will say or do. I have been here on work visas, student visas, now marriage and they have always made it a complete nightmare. I prefer to get a multiple entry non-O marriage which is a breeze to obtain at the Jakarta consulate and once I have that, leave the country every three months. To hell with the arbitrary immigration and going into their swamp to attempt to get the extension for the year. It is just state terror done poorly and I say done poorly because they allow you the option to simply avoid the whole thing by getting a multiple and going through the simple, straightforward process of getting stamped in upon rentering the Kingdom. Tho' apparently some officials feel that approach is some kind of crime, I saw some post where the guy described going to the embassy in Kuala Lumpur and they asked him, " Why were you leaving the country every three months? Why didn't you get an extension? You can't do that!"

Exactly what I do I enjoy the trip anyway to wherever, who needs Thai immigration messing around with your life!

You just never know what immigration will say or do. I have been here on work visas, student visas, now marriage and they have always made it a complete nightmare. I prefer to get a multiple entry non-O marriage which is a breeze to obtain at the Jakarta consulate and once I have that, leave the country every three months. To hell with the arbitrary immigration and going into their swamp to attempt to get the extension for the year. It is just state terror done poorly and I say done poorly because they allow you the option to simply avoid the whole thing by getting a multiple and going through the simple, straightforward process of getting stamped in upon rentering the Kingdom. Tho' apparently some officials feel that approach is some kind of crime, I saw some post where the guy described going to the embassy in Kuala Lumpur and they asked him, " Why were you leaving the country every three months? Why didn't you get an extension? You can't do that!"

Exactly what I do I enjoy the trip anyway to wherever, who needs Thai immigration messing around with your life!

So making border runs every 90 days and trips to get a new visa does not mess with your life. It would mine.

I have gotten 5 extensions based upon marriage (plus done 90 day reports) and getting those certainly don't mess with my life as much as what you are doing would.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about how hard it is to get these extensions. If you have all the correct paperwork it is not a problem at all.

Edited by ubonjoe

I'm in Chiang Mai on a Non-O extension due for the next extension in August 2013. My wife is from Korat and in her mom's Blue Book as she always has been, kids hold both US and Thai passports and Birth Certificates and entered on the Thai passports when we relocated in Sept 2011. During the extension process last year, the immigration officer wanted to see a Blue Book where the kids were listed for the next extension. We sort of got a free pass with the understanding we would have it resolved prior to the next extension request. After 2 attempts to get this done in my wife's city, we were turned down and told it needed to be done in Chiang Mai bit we don't have a Blue Book here due to renting a home versus purchasing one.

We have not pursued the Blue Book issue with the landlord but are leaning towards adding the kids to a family friend's Blue Book next door. Has anyone went through the process of being added to their landlord's Blue Book? Replies would be appreciated.

I have to say being married to a Thai outside of Thailand is easier getting support than when here in Thailand. Our kids were born in Italy at a US Military Hospital and we were able to easily accomplish registering the births at the Thai Embassy in Rome. Birth certificates and Passports were obtained with little effort at all. Once we get to Thailand, my daughter turns 5 and and her passport expired so I think an easy process to replace/renew an existing passport. WRONG!!! We were unable to get a new passport because of the Blue Book. Since she is not in a Blue Book, we can't get a passport renewed. I could understand it if a new passport maybe but we are talking about renewing an existing one. Thankfully, her US passport is easily renewable and currently valid.

I somewhat understand the Blue Book purpose but my kids don't receive any Thai Government benefits. All medical Insurance coverage is covered by my military retiree benefits and both kids attend international schools paid out of pocket. They won't be using the Thai low cost medical coverage or attend a local Thai school for free.

I'm looking forward to the next extension in August, hopefully it goes well. I'll be applying for a 1 year extension based on marriage and also attending school full-time locally if all goes well. I can just see them try to force me onto a Student Visa versus Non-O Visa.

I'm in Chiang Mai on a Non-O extension due for the next extension in August 2013. My wife is from Korat and in her mom's Blue Book as she always has been, kids hold both US and Thai passports and Birth Certificates and entered on the Thai passports when we relocated in Sept 2011. During the extension process last year, the immigration officer wanted to see a Blue Book where the kids were listed for the next extension. We sort of got a free pass with the understanding we would have it resolved prior to the next extension request. After 2 attempts to get this done in my wife's city, we were turned down and told it needed to be done in Chiang Mai bit we don't have a Blue Book here due to renting a home versus purchasing one.

We have not pursued the Blue Book issue with the landlord but are leaning towards adding the kids to a family friend's Blue Book next door. Has anyone went through the process of being added to their landlord's Blue Book? Replies would be appreciated.

I have to say being married to a Thai outside of Thailand is easier getting support than when here in Thailand. Our kids were born in Italy at a US Military Hospital and we were able to easily accomplish registering the births at the Thai Embassy in Rome. Birth certificates and Passports were obtained with little effort at all. Once we get to Thailand, my daughter turns 5 and and her passport expired so I think an easy process to replace/renew an existing passport. WRONG!!! We were unable to get a new passport because of the Blue Book. Since she is not in a Blue Book, we can't get a passport renewed. I could understand it if a new passport maybe but we are talking about renewing an existing one. Thankfully, her US passport is easily renewable and currently valid.

I somewhat understand the Blue Book purpose but my kids don't receive any Thai Government benefits. All medical Insurance coverage is covered by my military retiree benefits and both kids attend international schools paid out of pocket. They won't be using the Thai low cost medical coverage or attend a local Thai school for free.

I'm looking forward to the next extension in August, hopefully it goes well. I'll be applying for a 1 year extension based on marriage and also attending school full-time locally if all goes well. I can just see them try to force me onto a Student Visa versus Non-O Visa.

Getting on any blue book is as simple as having the head of the house allowing it.

Most landlords won't allow it, so you are generally left to having to go on a relatives blue book.

Given your children were born outside of Thailand, they will need to be inserted onto a blue book as soon as they begin living in Thailand permanently. This will require the house head, a Thai citizen referee to vouch, and their Thai birth certificates showing an overseas birth and their Thai passports showing when they entered Thailand.

You however I think have underestimated the importance of the blue book. It is essential for all Thai citizens to be on one. Without it, all paperwork is impossible. Once on, all facets of life are easy. Including passports. Besides, it is the law that a person is registered on a blue book within 14 days of birth if born in Thailand, or as soon as possible when returning to live (if born overseas).

Another thing that you should know is that all Thai children now are required to get an ID card, and for that, you need to be on the blue book.

So making border runs every 90 days and trips to get a new visa does not mess with your life. It would mine.

I have gotten 5 extensions based upon marriage (plus done 90 day reports) and getting those certainly don't mess with my life as much as what you are doing would.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about how hard it is to get these extensions. If you have all the correct paperwork it is not a problem at all.

....Not in the slightest...... I enjoy my trips away from Thailand 90 days is just about long enough before I need a break even for just a few days maybe to eat real Indian food in Penang,or catch up with old girlfriends in the Samlor bar in VTE although living here I do have a life and business outside this country other wise you would go mad............. I am not a great fan of paperwork when combined with immigration so the multi non o visa fits my purpose

I don't disagree with the need for the Blue Book at some point and time. We have tried to comply with getting the children into a BB. 2 trips to the other side of Korat; 1st trip we were told to apply and wait for a week or so for a follow-up interview to complete the process (we were pressed for time due to the kids starting school 2 days later so we had to wait for a better opportunity), 2nd trip was over Christmas break but this time the story changed and we were told we had to add the kids to a BB in the area we lived.

My wife's village head was on tap and there to vouch for us and the children, we have our marriage registered in this same village and my wife did all her name change process there as well. So we are known well enough there and it is a smaller location where many know most. Here in CNX, the folks were frustrated with our situation as we were. They were dumfounded that we could not accomplish this at my wife's home area and the head person in Doi Saket City Office called the office in my wife's city. The interpretation relayed to me it was a one-way conversation with the folks in Doi Saket really giving them a hard time for not helping us fix this. Thankfully, the Doi Saket office is working with us on this issue and we'll have it resolved soon.

Let's be honest, the new ID requirement is comical for such a young person to have to have. What is it needed for (for the kids)? Anyone ran into a situation where it was required for a 7 year old to have one?

As for the documentation; we have everything needed to validate the overseas births to satisfy the US and Thai authorities. Like I said, the process required outside of Thailand are much easier than when in Thailand. I would have expected the same or better service here in Thailand compared to the service received outside of Thailand. I have used the US Consulate in CNX to renew 2 passports and the process was simple as expected.

Did your wife's mother get involved in getting the house book entry for the kids done. As head of household she has to give approval.

As far as I know the law still stands that Thais are required to get an ID at the age of 15.

They started encouraging younger children to get them for ID purposes in case of missing children and/or child abduction.

No not her mom but her dad & village head were there on the second visit to facilitate the process. The "yes it can be done" attitude changed between the first and second trip, they were not willing to add the kids into the BB because the kids don't live in the area. After this we asked around to friends here in Chiang Mai, many have their kids in a BB other than the house they are actually living in. Not correct I know but that is what they have done.

I think in the future to eliminate the problem, it would be smart to add "access to the BB" as part of a negotiated rental agreement. Just a thought.

They are giving you the run around and giving an absurd reason. They might be thinking about some tea money.

My wife has several people in her house book that don't physically live at our house or the village.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 2 weeks later...

I have just applied for a visa extension for the second year as I am married to a Thai woman. She works in the Social Security office and has done for many years. This year they asked us about our relationship if it was real and why we didn't have kids. I still have a week to wait to see if I am approved for the extension.

When they came to interview the neighbour, they asked similar questions about if our relationship was genuine. We have been in the same house and all the details are the same as last year. The immigration lady said this was a requirement for the extension. I was even asked if I had other money apart from the 400k that is required.

My question is, what would be the benefit of having a fake marriage and why go through this process when another type of visa would be better?

Also, do all marriage extension applications get a visit? As places like Chaing Mai where there would be lots of applications, I think it would be immpossible to check every one.

Thanks

I have just applied for a visa extension for the second year as I am married to a Thai woman. She works in the Social Security office and has done for many years. This year they asked us about our relationship if it was real and why we didn't have kids. I still have a week to wait to see if I am approved for the extension.

When they came to interview the neighbour, they asked similar questions about if our relationship was genuine. We have been in the same house and all the details are the same as last year. The immigration lady said this was a requirement for the extension. I was even asked if I had other money apart from the 400k that is required.

My question is, what would be the benefit of having a fake marriage and why go through this process when another type of visa would be better?

Also, do all marriage extension applications get a visit? As places like Chaing Mai where there would be lots of applications, I think it would be immpossible to check every one.

Thanks

I think you normally only get a visit when applying for the first extension. In the end it may be up to the immigration officer to decide.

There are a lot of fake marriages between Thais and people from neighbouring countries, so it's not so strange the immigration office checks.

I wouldn't worry, once your application is accepted and sent to BKK it gets almost never refused. The lack of knowledge or just a bad day of the local immigration officer came make it had to get past the first step.

The reason for obtaining the fake marriage extension would be that other extensions are not available - as for those illegally working in Thailand. This is also why not having children after a period of time is a suspect sign to them. And yes it is a requirement that your status be verified but the method used does very by office and time period. The local officer is responsible for getting it right to not only there local boss but also to a higher level office so it can be intrusive seeming but in the end if a real marriage it should survive and extension should be granted. Just as we all have to subject ourselves to airline check due to a few the same is true of this process (although a lot more fake marriages than terrorists I suspect).

Thanks for the comments. It is always a worry for me about the visas. I hadn't thought about a person from a neighbouring country married to a Thai and living and working here. The same rules would apply to all people.

Have had 5 extensions and have never had a visit from immigration. For the first extension they gave us a letter to take to our local police station asking them to verify our relationship. We got one from the chief plus two other police officers we were acquainted with.