Pre-employment Medical Screening For Thai Employees

Can a company in Thailand offering medical insurance require pre-employment health screening for HIV or other diseases. ((For that matter can a company NOT offering insurance require health screening? that would include HIV testing?))

Really want to know this one!

This would be illegal in all but one country I have lived in. Can anyone tell me if it is legal here or not?

Edited by jdinasia

Can a company in Thailand offering medical insurance require pre-employment health screening for HIV or other diseases. ((For that matter can a company NOT offering insurance require health screening? that would include HIV testing?))

This would be illegal in all but one country I have lived in. Can anyone tell me if it is legal here or not?

Yeah - for at least one employment category Bumrungrad offer a screening package - Maids - do not knowe if it covers HIV but it is an example of medical screening for a position.

Why not contact the relevant NGO www.abconaids.org/tbca/

Many decent companies now work in cooperation with Ministry of Labor and NGO's to get around the obvious Human Rights issues involved in HIV screening. Particularly important since the New Thai Constitution.

It's legal but AFAIK typically only done for certain jobs. I know Thai airways does it, 5* hotels do it, and families that employ a nanny definitely want to get her tested.

I think it's uncommon for office jobs though.

nah ... the title says "my company" but that could imply ownership or where I work ....

alas ... no clear answer ... but I take it as yes ....

Clear answer, Yes, it is legal to date. But it is frowned upon by the Government, NGO's and Human Rights Organisations, who, by the way you go about it, may take the Company to Court for breaches of the Thai Constitution.

My sources tell me that it is illegal to test blood. Insurance companies get around this by swabbing saliva.

I have found nothing illegal about blood testing in Thailand in any of my law papers. It is what happens when you find out the results that may be illegal.