That would be you. :)

No, seriously give it a while and the experts on here will be saying:

1. Learn how to speak the language better

2. Its not just Thailand where this happens

3. You don't understand Thai culture

4. Its the way its done here, accept it

5. If you weren't in the shop, then you wouldn't have this problem

and finally................

6. If you don't like it........ go home.

I sympathise with you. You try to explain in Thai. Then you get your wife to explain in Thai and it doesn't get you anywhere. The problem is that people here in retail don't listen.

Your story did make me laugh though and I am sure it has happened to many people on here.

Thanks for the story.

Are you British by any chance?

I find Americans take "queue jumping" pretty seriously, but really nowhere else in the world is it considered a major felony.

Time just doesn't have that much value here, if you were that important you wouldn't be spending any of your valuable life's time shopping for yourself, people with real value in Thailand have servants do that for them.

I find Americans take "queue jumping" pretty seriously, but really nowhere else in the world is it considered a major felony.

Time just doesn't have that much value here, if you were that important you wouldn't be spending any of your valuable life's time shopping for yourself, people with real value in Thailand have servants do that for them.

Huh? Did you read the whole of the OP's post?

You ran off doing something else and the queue was vacant somewhat, the lady only had a few things by the sound of it, so what is the problem?

Maybe you lost 30 seconds.

Maybe that 30 seconds saved your life later on with some mad drunk driver that missed your car because it was not there because you were now 30 seconds late.

I read weekly in a Norwegian news paper about someone who got his face smashed in due to "queue jumping" when buying food late at night on the way home from a pub, bar, etc.

Pretty sure this is the case in Britain as well.

I know for a fact that most Thais hate "queue jumping", but they accept it, due to the "make no scene" issue.

I think "hate" is a strong word for Thai feeling about the issue.

But I'd gladly admit that other northern European countries may be as willing to respond with passion to minor violations of etiquette.

What people call "first world problems", really should find more important things to get het up about hey?

Edited by SamsonSW

That would be you. smile.png

No, seriously give it a while and the experts on here will be saying:

1. Learn how to speak the language better

2. Its not just Thailand where this happens

3. You don't understand Thai culture

4. Its the way its done here, accept it

5. If you weren't in the shop, then you wouldn't have this problem

and finally................

6. If you don't like it........ go home.

I would call them expert apologists.

I think "hate" is a strong word for Thai feeling about the issue.

But I'd gladly admit that other northern European countries may be as willing to respond with passion to minor violations of etiquette.

What people call "first world problems", really should find more important things to get het up about hey?

Too late for me to edit, so let us call it "dislike".

You ran off doing something else and the queue was vacant somewhat, the lady only had a few things by the sound of it, so what is the problem?

Maybe you lost 30 seconds.

Maybe that 30 seconds saved your life later on with some mad drunk driver that missed your car because it was not there because you were now 30 seconds late.

I hadn't ran off anywhere. I was standing right next to where they put the filled bags, but I was facing my daughter, not the till.

I had heard the beep beep of the scanner and turned back expecting to see a couple of full bags and was surprised to see none. That was when I saw the woman, who was still putting her items on the belt. It was more than just a few items, about 4 bags full, I guess.

Just for the record, I have often let the person behind me go first if they only have a few items, but this was more than just a few and I wasn't given any choice.

Yes, I know that I should have been cooler, that is why I finished my post with

Trouble is that I have to go shopping again, so who is the idiot here?

Did I mention that the Missus had bought an iced drink and I had tried some. Suffered extreme "brain freeze" and the headache was still with me :)

I would say with pump shop #1 that what they really wanted to do was to sell you a complete new pump.

As for the grocery line, what gets me is when a Thai person puts a few things on the belt ahead of me and then runs off to do some more shopping then is surprised when I have pushed (usually) her stuff back and my stuff is now in check-out process. I guess we were all supposed to wait for her few extra incidentals.

We all make mistakes.

Well not all, some people are angels.

I cannot go back to a certain shopping centre because I abused the parking attendant one time, he stood up and wanted to whack me.

I do not want to go back because scared of him, just don't want my car scratched to the max while away shopping.

Welcome to Thailand, where everything always happens tomorrow and when it comes to requiring advice, or who, where and how, no one knows anything about anything.

Over the years I have accepted the fact that nothing is going happen pronto in Thailand. What you want to do today, will have to be put off till tomorrow.

The problem is that we have been spoiled in our own countries and getting used to this later rather than sooner type of attitudes and pace, takes a lot of adapting to.

Just had a watch battery changed at a small booth. Lady said 350 baht. Figured she was double-charging me but said okay as it doesn't really matter and I normally try and go with the flow.

Got home to find she'd scratched my watch. If she'd charged me a fair price I would have just put it down to incompetence and next time gone to a proper watch shop. However if you're going to charge falangs double, you should at least do the job right.

So drove back, cut-through the inevitable "scratches were there already" line, waited while a Thai customer cut in (and got their battery changed for 150 baht...), got the old battery put back in and my money back.

No doubt she won't have learnt a thing from this minor incident with a tight-fisted farang, but at least I know she's 350 baht worse off.

• Like 1