Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Rafa said on the website that Yossi and Dirk are staying. He didn't mention Pennant, though. I suppose he could still go.

And this headline was in the news: Benitez Drops Strong Barry Hint

He still wants Barry, and appears he now wants to keep Alonso. Looks like he wants to play Barry on the left, at least for the time being when Liverpool is weak there.

Looks like Barry is well and truly off but this lad might be useful :o :

RAFA'S SILVA LINING

Yanks keep Benitez sweet with £18m bid

silva_280x578_3443a.jpg</IMG> SPAIN STAR - Kop target David Silva By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 09/08/2008

LIVERPOOL’S American owners will attempt to win back Rafa Benitez’s trust with an £18million bid for Valencia winger David Silva.

Kop boss Benitez is furious after the collapse of the Gareth Barry deal left him looking foolish.

Now owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett know they have to do something quickly to appease the Spaniard.

They blocked a move for Barry because they considered Aston Villa’s £18m valuation excessive.

They want to resurrect a bid for Silva, a hero of Spain’s Euro 2008 win and an Anfield target earlier this summer.

But Manchester United are ready to hijack the deal by making their own £20m bid and Arsenal are also interested.

And a move for Silva might not appease Benitez — who, amazingly, is backing a deal for a millionaire friend to pump upwards of £12m into Anfield.

An approach was made on behalf of Belfast millionaire and Liverpool season ticket holder John Miskelly several weeks ago, offering a massive interest-free loan for transfers.

This was instantly rejected by the Anfield board who, under strict banking conditions, cannot accept such offers.

Sadly for Benitez and his supporters within Anfield, the Barry decision was not about lack of funds. Hicks and Gillett decided it made no sense to sell Xabi Alonso and recruit Barry in a loss-making deal.

Last May, the Americans were convinced to bid for Barry when Benitez told them Alonso was in secret talks with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

He said Alonso could be sold for £25m and Barry bought for £15m, with the extra £10m earmarked for another player.

But Villa stood firm on £18m, and only one bid, of £16m from Juventus, was received for Alonso.

Looks like Barry is well and truly off but this lad might be useful :o :

RAFA'S SILVA LINING

Yanks keep Benitez sweet with £18m bid

silva_280x578_3443a.jpg</IMG> SPAIN STAR - Kop target David Silva By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 09/08/2008

LIVERPOOL'S American owners will attempt to win back Rafa Benitez's trust with an £18million bid for Valencia winger David Silva.

Kop boss Benitez is furious after the collapse of the Gareth Barry deal left him looking foolish.

Now owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett know they have to do something quickly to appease the Spaniard.

They blocked a move for Barry because they considered Aston Villa's £18m valuation excessive.

They want to resurrect a bid for Silva, a hero of Spain's Euro 2008 win and an Anfield target earlier this summer.

But Manchester United are ready to hijack the deal by making their own £20m bid and Arsenal are also interested.

And a move for Silva might not appease Benitez — who, amazingly, is backing a deal for a millionaire friend to pump upwards of £12m into Anfield.

An approach was made on behalf of Belfast millionaire and Liverpool season ticket holder John Miskelly several weeks ago, offering a massive interest-free loan for transfers.

This was instantly rejected by the Anfield board who, under strict banking conditions, cannot accept such offers.

Sadly for Benitez and his supporters within Anfield, the Barry decision was not about lack of funds. Hicks and Gillett decided it made no sense to sell Xabi Alonso and recruit Barry in a loss-making deal.

Last May, the Americans were convinced to bid for Barry when Benitez told them Alonso was in secret talks with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

He said Alonso could be sold for £25m and Barry bought for £15m, with the extra £10m earmarked for another player.

But Villa stood firm on £18m, and only one bid, of £16m from Juventus, was received for Alonso.

good to see you posting again la!

good to see you posting again la!

Cheers mate , the scousers are back :D

and what are the odds on you turning up this weekend for the football beer night mate :o , It would be nice for a change to have some scouse company instead of the usual quota of mancs :D:D

Nice interview with Rafa before the seasson kicks off for us tomorrow against the Belgian champs :o :

What did you make of your team's performance against Lazio in your final pre-season game?

I think it was a difficult game because Lazio were a good team. They were well organised and pressed with intensity. To score one goal at the end and also to create two or three good opportunities, I think it was very positive for us.

Were they an opposition that offered you something different to the rest of the teams you have played?

Yes. We played against some good teams and at the end we were much better than them. Lazio were well organised and tactically they were very good, so it was a good test for us.

Another goal from Andriy Voronin, have you been pleased with what you've seen from him during pre-season?

He has been playing really well. He scored three goals and has done a good job during pre-season.

A word on the young players who have come in like Damien Plessis, Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing, who set up the winning goal on Friday - are you happy with the way they have come into the squad and settled on the pitch?

We have also had Insua, Nabil El Zhar and Krisztian Nemeth with us. All of the young players have been really good and their commitment has been fantastic. We have needed them because we have some players away at the Olympic Games. It is good to see these young players with quality alongside the seniors.

How do you assess your pre-season, Rafa; was it everything you hoped it would be?

Yes, I think so. It was strange with players coming back to train at different times, so that's why it was important to organise everything right. It was good for me to have the new staff in place as well. All of the staff, Sammy, Pellegrino, Paco and Xavi Valero have been really good. We have a really good group of people now.

What is the main positive you take out of your pre-season campaign?

It's been good to see us scoring a lot of goals. The understanding between Keane and Torres in pre-season was one of the questions asked to me and I thought it was pretty good. I'm really pleased with the way we scored the goals and we also didn't concede many. That for me is also an important part when you look at the balance of the team.

A lot of players say they don't like pre-season training. Are you glad it's now over and you can concentrate on the start of the season or do you quite enjoy it?

The pre-season is okay because you need to prepare the team but now everyone wants to play important games. We will start with the Champions League qualifier and then the league and we are looking forward to it.

How much do you know about Standard Liege?

We have the reports and we have seen two games but it's not that easy because they haven't been playing. They had one game in France which they lost 3-0 but that was totally different to the one they won 3-1 in the cup against Anderlecht. They are really dangerous at home and it's a tough team for us to play. We know that and we have to be prepared.

220408-rafa-01.jpgRafa on the timing of our qualifierYou can't change the situation but I would prefer to play these important games when the team is a little bit sharper. If we can win maybe it would be a boost for the Premier League game.They are the champions of Belgium and only lost one game last year, when the title was already secured, so you know you are in for a tough game...

We know at home they will be really difficult so we need to be ready and mentally I think our players are prepared.

Is it positive that this game comes before the start of the Premier League season or would you prefer this game after Sunderland?

You can't change the situation but I would prefer to play these important games when the team is a little bit sharper. If we can win maybe it would be a boost for the Premier League game.

You mentioned that the team against Lazio will be somewhere near the side that starts against Standard Liege. Is that still the case Rafa?

Yes, it will be more or less the same. If we don't have any problems it will be similar.

Does the game against Sunderland on Saturday come into your thinking when you pick your team to face Liege?

No, it's just about Wednesday evening. We know how important this part of the season is and qualification for the Champions League is really important for this club, so we are just thinking about this game.

Not too far to travel and the second leg being at Anfield are two positives I guess you will take into the game...

I think it's important. Always we prefer to play the second game at Anfield so that is important.

Could a good start in the Champions League and a couple of good wins like last season against Toulouse give you that little bit of momentum to go into the Premier League season?

I think so. Always when you win important games the confidence of the team goes higher so I think that can be very positive.

You are just about to start your fifth season as Liverpool manager. Are you looking forward to this one more than any other season?

I think that every year is a fantastic experience and is something exciting. This year with a better squad we will try to improve again and be closer, and try to be contenders.

Is this the best squad you've taken into a Premier League season in your opinion?

Yes, I think so. Every year we are bringing in good players so the squad is improving little by little. You can see the senior players and a lot of them are young like Pepe Reina, Javier Mascherano, Lucas Leiva, Ryan Babel, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Fernando Torres. We have a lot of good players and also new young players like Nemeth, Pacheco, Plessis, Insua and Ngog. I think we have a better squad than before.

Do you think the new players you have brought in will improve your squad significantly to make a realistic challenge this season?

We have confidence and we will try to do our best from the start of the season.

Views from Winter :o :

HENRY WINTER'S PRE-SEASON PREDICTIONS

henrywinter_120.jpgFew teams in Europe can boast a spine as strong as Liverpool's: Pepe Reina and Jamie Carragher defying attackers, Javier Mascherano breaking up opponents' moves in midfield, Steven Gerrard surging forward to liaise with Fernando Torres. Liverpool will continue to stir respect, if not yet fear in the hearts of Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

It is already clear how shrewdly Rafa Benitez has acted in the transfer market. Andrea Dossena should slot in comfortably at left-back while Robbie Keane's recruitment is inspired.

Criticism has been levelled at Liverpool for spending £20m on a 28-year-old in Keane. This is nonsense: 28 is usually deemed a peak for a player. Keane has always looked after himself, has never been short of energetic endeavour on the field and clearly cannot wait to play a competitive match for his childhood love.

Tottenham Hotspur fans were devastated to see Keane leave. He was never moody like Dimitar Berbatov; he just got on with representing the team, creating and scoring goals. Now he has his dream move, leaving tear-stained Spurs fans writing thank you notes.

Recognition of how much Keane is still admired at White Hart Lane, for his service and goals, will doubtless come when Liverpool visit north London this season and the Irishman receives a standing ovation.

Spurs fans will not begrudge Keane the chance to fulfil a childhood dream, pulling on the Liverpool red, and Kopites will doubtless warm to him quickly. Keane has been saying all the right things, about his long-standing love for the club, but it will be when he has the ball at his feet that Anfield will really welcome him.

Benitez has not simply brought a striker, a goalscorer who can lead the line when Torres needs a break. As he showed at Spurs, Keane is hugely versatile. He can work happily alongside a centre-forward like Torres in an orthodox 4-4-2 or push to the flanks in a 4-2-3-1 formation. He can lurk in the hole behind Torres if Benitez wants to play 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard deeper. Such a selfless player, Keane happily links midfield and attack.

What will probably happen is that all strands to Keane's varied game are seen in every match. He will drift wide to lose a marker or create space for Torres, he will dovetail with the Spaniard, he will drop deep and swap passes with Gerrard, inviting the captain through on goal.

Keane possesses those classic, time-honoured Liverpool qualities of work-rate and intelligence, both traits contained in his non-stop and invariably influential movement. His arrival is particularly well-timed because Torres will be even more closely watched than before.

People might argue that this is because Torres' masterpiece of finishing in Vienna won Spain the European Championships. No. Torres was always going to receive extra attention this season because of his outstanding work for Liverpool last term.

Opponents may play deeper against Liverpool, hoping to combat Torres' ability to use his pace and eye for an opening to get behind any defence. If opponents do stretch the pitch this will inevitably open up space in front of their defence for the likes of Gerrard.

His pre-season hampered by a slight thigh injury, Gerrard should prove a huge force this season partly because he enjoyed a rare rest. With England having failed to qualify for Euro 2008, the ambitious midfielder will be even more determined to deliver. As a fan, Gerrard remembers life at Anfield when Liverpool were champions of England and he will be as driven as ever to bring the trophy home.

His great friend, Carragher, should have a high-profile season. The defender's autobiography is due out in the autumn and promises to be typically frank. Honesty has always been Carragher's trademark and his utter commitment to the cause keeps him revered as one of Europe's best centre-halves.

Benitez has used Carragher at right-back, because of the returning Daniel Agger and the excellence of Martin Skrtel, but Carragher deserves to be used in his best position. He remains Liverpool's leading centre-half and should be the rock around which Benitez builds his defence. Never tamper with a successful defence.

Having Agger fit again will be a huge boost for Liverpool and he works well with Carragher which leaves Benitez with a quandary over Skrtel. Having addressed the problem on the left with Dossena's arrival, Benitez still needs a high-class full-back on the other flank.

So Liverpool still need reinforcements if they are to challenge for the Premier League title. Manchester United and Chelsea simply have deeper resources. Yet Benitez, so sharp tactically, is still capable of setting up the team to prosper in Europe. His ability to prepare the side to face Continental opponents remains phenomenal. He has outfoxed some of the greatest minds in European football, and the Spaniard may well do so again.

Edited by scousemouse

Anyone know if tonights champions league qualifier is on UBC?

There was nothing on the schedule in the Bangkok Post and that it usually the best guide.

I reckon it will be 50/50 if the game is shown live on ubc or thai tv tonight , all depends on if Somchai wakes up or not :o:D .

Another lucky night for Liverpool in Europe, cannot see them coming anywhere near ManU or Chelsea this year.

'another lucky night'? give over lad. we were crap but then we always are in qualifiers, nothing new there. we'll beat them at home and when the group stage comes around it'll be long forgotten.

Thanks for dropping by with your expert analysis boiledegg. Now sod off before you get salted and eaten.

Liverpool were not up for their first match, absolutely. Understandable at this stage of the season as to compare Man U were not sharp either last weekend. To attempt to predict Liverpool's season on this one match is foolish. Lot of football to play.

Reina was fantastic. Wow. Saved the day for us at least three times. This match could have easily been a 3-0 disaster for Liverpool. Although if they can repeat the 4-0 from last year at Anfield it wouldn't matter, anyway. The first big save reminded me of Liverpool vs. Chelsea semifinal. Was it a goal? Was it not? I think this was surely not over the line from the replay but man it was close. Anyway, I understated Reina recently and he showed why he's just about the best we could get.

Second leg will be tricky as we have to score. Last season was easy but the seasons before that Liverpool got through by the skin of their teeth at this stage as far as I can remember. Will be good to see an American playing in Onyewu in the second leg. As long as he doesn't win. Belgium is not England but Leige are the champions and I didn't think it'd be easy. I think Liverpool's superiority will show in the second leg and we'll win by at least two goals.

to be fair we were crap. only really reina and maybe carragher and agger came out of it with any credit. alonso maybe too. but it was the attitude and application that annoyed me most, we should be flying on the back of a positive pre-season but we look timid and nervous. balls out boys and go and beat teams you are better than.

hoping it's a blip start, i expect us to roll them over in the second leg and we'd better show a 100% improvement to get hold of three points at sundireland on saturday.

to be fair we were crap. only really reina and maybe carragher and agger came out of it with any credit. alonso maybe too. but it was the attitude and application that annoyed me most, we should be flying on the back of a positive pre-season but we look timid and nervous. balls out boys and go and beat teams you are better than.

hoping it's a blip start, i expect us to roll them over in the second leg and we'd better show a 100% improvement to get hold of three points at sundireland on saturday.

I reckon Jamie Carragher summed up last nights performance the best :D :

"We probably didn't deserve it but that's football and over the years we've always seemed to find these kind of games difficult but gone on to do well and hopefully this time it will be the same.

"It's never a bad result in Europe to come away and get a clean sheet and now we've done that we have to go on and do the business at Anfield.

"Over the years we've struggled in these qualifiers which is not what you would want and we would certainly take it if we can get through now and go on to do what we've done in the Champions League in the past ".

And I also reckon Liege won't offer much resistance at Anfield and we'll run out comfortable winners :D ..... the biggest game for us at the moment though is Sunderland on Saturday , we really need to get off to a great start and get our season rolling .

That 1-1 draw we had against chelski at the beginning of last season was a major stumble and I think affected us in our games against the mancs and the gooners so it's imperative we get the start we need to give the lads and us all confidence :o .

It's pretty much your first competative game, and as Scousmouse has said, Liverpool have a habit of playing &lt;deleted&gt; early doors, but when it counts getting a result.

Pretty sure they'll get a result on the return leg, although I'll be hoping they don't. :o

Good news ahead of the main game for Bangkok beer night episode 1 :o :

GERRARD FIT FOR OPENING DAY CLASH

gerrard__story_070708.jpgSteven Gerrard has been passed fit for Liverpool's Barclays Premier League opener at Sunderland this weekend. The Reds skipper was used as a second half substitute against Standard Liege in midweek and came through without any reaction to the thigh injury which forced him to miss the end of the pre-season programme.

While Gerrard has been passed fit, manager Rafael Benitez will make late checks on a number of his other players before finalising his first team selection of the campaign for the clash in the north east.

Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun both sustained dead legs during the goalless stalement in Belgium while Martin Skrtel is continuing to recover from a groin problem.

The agro between Rafa and Craig Parry is not something we need on the eve of kick off :o :

READ RAFA'S FIRST PL PRESS CONFERENCE NOW

Can we start with injury news, Rafa?

We had some problems the other day with Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun receiving dead legs, and Fabio Aurelio and Martin Skrtel are improving, so we will see this afternoon and then decide. Steven Gerrard was training really well yesterday and he is okay.

Good news that Fabio is nearly back?

Yes, I think so. We need these players. Competition for places is good.

You've had a good pre-season in terms of results but are you happy that all your players are ready for the season?

Yes, I think it was important to see all the players training and we are really close to that. Philipp Degen is still injured but the rest of the squad is nearly there. If we see the Olympic players back soon, it'll be fantastic for the rest of the season.

Robbie Keane was your major signing over the summer – how is he fitting in?

He is okay - training really well and hard. He will need time, as always, to get an understanding with Torres and get to know all of his teammates.

What sort of system do you expect to play with those two?

It depends on the games. Keane has good movement in between the lines but also up front. We can play with both up front or maybe just one.

How excited are you by their partnership?

For a manager, when the ball is in attack, everything depends on the players you have. When you have players with quality and game intelligence like Keane and Torres it makes it easier for me, so maybe I will enjoy it.

Are you happy that you have the right sort of strength in depth now?

The squad is better and that was my idea. We do have some problems on the left because we have lost John Arne Riise, Harry Kewell and Sebastian Leto – because of his work permit. Okay, we will see what happens in the future but yes, the squad is better.

Another young player you've brought in is David Ngog, who's caught a lot of people's eye. Is he one to watch this season?

Yes, we knew when we bought him that he was a good player. Watching him in every training session, you see different things. You see his quality and I think he's also been pretty good in the games. He will be a good player for us for the rest of the season and hopefully for the future.

220408-rafa-01.jpgRafa on prioritiesOur priority is always to try to win every game, then you see where you are a contender or whether you can win this trophy or another. We will try to do our best in all the competitions but if you had to decide which one you wanted, I think all the fans would say the Premier LeagueThe years go by and every season people say it will be Liverpool's year, but do you feel that this season – do you feel it could be your year?

As I said, we have a better squad, but it always depends on the other teams too. We can be really good, but look at a few years ago when we got 82 points but still finished third. There are very good teams in the Premier League.

Is the Premier League your priority this year?

Our priority is always to try to win every game, then you see whether you are a contender or whether you can win this trophy or another. We will try to do our best in all the competitions but if you had to decide which one you wanted, I think all the fans would say the Premier League.

Last season you rested some of your major players in Premier League games – is it going to be the same this time or can we expect a more settled side?

It depends on the game and the players. Last season people talked about Torres but he was injured for two or three games and then on the bench for one or two. If you win, nobody talks about rotation. We will try to win and then you can talk about victories and not rotation.

Do you expect to make any more signings before the end of the transfer window?

Really, I don't know. We will continue working and then see.

Is any deal for Gareth Barry dead given the fact he played in the UEFA Cup?

I will try to be very clear because I would like to talk about the next games and Sunderland. Everybody has been talking and it is clear some newspapers and journalists – and all our supporters know this – blame me for everything: global warming; rises in petrol prices; everything. In this case, I want to be clear: since I talked with Martin O'Neill in April, I didn't talk with anyone else at Aston Villa. All the talks have been between Rick Parry and the owner and chief executive of Aston Villa – and they have been pretty good. If someone wants to talk about Barry in the future, they will have to talk to the owner or chief executive of Aston Villa, or Rick Parry. I was not doing the talks about Barry; I was not doing the talks about Alonso and Arsenal.

Has the situation been frustrating for you?

If you want to talk about players, you have to talk to Rick Parry; if you want to talk about football, talk to me.

In terms of football, are the players keen to get that Standard Liege performance out of their system this weekend?

Yes, the reaction of the players in training yesterday was fantastic. We were very happy to see them back on the pitch after a bad performance, and they showed a high tempo and determination. That is what we wanted to see.

And do your scouting reports suggest Sunderland are a better side this season?

Yes, they have clearly signed some good players. It is always tough to play away at Sunderland because they have some quality players. It could be a physical game but also a game with good football.

Back to the title race, and you say you have a better squad but the other three teams will have as well, won't they? Is the gap between you and them narrower?

You really don't know. We are pleased with the people we have signed but it will be the same with the other managers. For me, good teams have signed good players, and maybe we will see some surprises.

Suggestion which you can take or leave.

Could you just provide links so we can read the article at whatever website you copy and paste from? I know a lot what you post is the club site but I visit it frequently. However sometimes I have no idea where you got the story. Not to mention copyright issues but I doubt anyone is going to sue.

You could give the first few sentences and invite others to read the rest of the article at the original site with a link.

Parry's been around for how long? I think they're right, Barry is overvalued but they should have got him just the same. If they get him now, he can't play in the Champions League which is one of the main reasons he'd want to come to Liverpool. If he comes, may have to wait until next year. But then he'll be a year older and I doubt the price will have changed much. Is looking more and more unlikely, now.

Suggestion which you can take or leave.

Could you just provide links so we can read the article at whatever website you copy and paste from? I know a lot what you post is the club site but I visit it frequently. However sometimes I have no idea where you got the story. Not to mention copyright issues but I doubt anyone is going to sue.

You could give the first few sentences and invite others to read the rest of the article at the original site with a link.

The reason I stick the whole interviews up is for the football fans of other clubs who wouldn't dream of checking a Liverpool website but do check the Liverpool thread on thaivisa.

I have had quite a few compliments from fans of other teams for bits of information regarding Liverpool they would never have known without reading the thread and I myself have found out quite a bit from the copying and pasting of thaivisa members on other football threads .

Being a Liverpool fan yourself jimjim I would presume you've already read whatever post I've just copied and pasted and that goes for all Liverpool fans that check this thread , as I said it's for the football fans who don't support Liverpool and my efforts to convert them :D .

So thanks jimjim , I'll leave your suggestion :o .

Great result ( in the end :D ) last night and one which was needed big time. What can we say about Torres that hasn't already been said ,the boy's a genius.

Dossena was solid at left back , Alonso came on at half time and showed his class with the assisst for Torres ( superb dummy also by Gerrard ) and it didn't quite click with Keane and Torres up front but give it time. I thought Robbie Keane was Sunderlands best defender :o .

So a 1-0 win then , thank you very much :D .

Match report from last night :o :

SUNDERLAND 0 - 1 LIVERPOOL

A dramatic strike from Fernando Torres has given Liverpool a 1-0 victory over Sunderland on the opening day of the Barclays Premier League season.

The Spanish striker hit a 25-yard scorcher on 83 minutes following a much-improved second-half performance from Liverpool.

Victory comes as a welcome tonic for Benitez - who today responded to newspaper speculation by talking of his contentment on Merseyside - following Wednesday's disappointing display in the Champions League qualifier.

The Anfield boss made two changes from Liege, recalling Steven Gerrard and Sami Hyypia for Xabi Alonso and Daniel Agger - the latter pair having to settle for a place on the Premier League's new seven-man bench.

Sunderland, meanwhile, were without injured striker Kenwyn Jones, though Roy Keane was able to call on summer signings Steed Malbranque, Pascal Chimbonda and El-Hadji Diouf.

Like his new boss, Diouf is always up for a bit of needle, and a pre-match claim that his former teammates would be scared of his 'magic' surely raised the odd eyebrow in the away dressing room.

His boast might have been dubious, but the visiting backline did indeed look nervous in the opening exchanges, not least when a Hyypia backpass almost gave Diouf a free run on goal. Jamie Carragher had to be at his very best to save the day.

Another scare arrived on 13 minutes and, yes, Diouf was again in the thick of it, this time sending a perfect cross towards Daryl Murphy, who probably won't SkyPlus the season's first Match of the Day following a tame header into the arms of Pepe Reina.

Liverpool had still to threaten by the time Diouf sent a curling effort narrowly over on 26 minutes. In fact, it took more than half an hour for the visitors to record a first shot of the campaign, Gerrard dragging wide from distance.

torresvsunderland.jpgThe skipper, and therefore Liverpool, began to exert more control on proceedings as the half wore on, while teammate Robbie Keane almost broke the deadlock with a superb turn and shot on 40 minutes.

Not that Benitez would have been appeased as Alan Wiley signalled half-time. The Spaniard introduced Alonso for the second half, a decision which gained universal approval among the travelling fans who sang his name throughout the first.

If Alonso's presence ensured Liverpool's passing improved, it was Gerrard who probed whenever the ball entered Sunderland territory.

The number eight shot wide on 51 minutes after a one-two with Yossi Benayoun - who seconds later tested Craig Gordon from close range.

Whatever Benitez said at half-time, it seemed to be doing the trick, though a let off in the form of a scuffed shot from Diouf showed Sunderland still had life in them yet.

A gilt-edged chance arrived on 72 minutes when a Dirk Kuyt effort was spilled by Gordon, with Keane and Torres getting in one another's way as they pounced on the rebound.

Keane was withdrawn shortly after, with Kuyt moving into a central position and Nabil El Zhar entering the fray on the right.

Liverpool were throwing everything at their hosts - even a 60-yard effort from Alonso which, with Gordon in limbo, was only just off target.

Never mind, for the breakthrough, late and dramatic, was just minutes away, and the sweet feet of Alonso again played their part with a searching pass to Torres, who turned before beating Gordon with a 25-yard shot.

The travelling Kop bounced and bounced until the final whistle arrived seven minutes later, and for the second successive season their men have kicked off the campaign with a win.

I can't help but like the lad , fair words from the boy Kuyt :o :

KUYT: TORRES CAN FIRE US TO TITLE

180808-sunderland-torres-s1.jpgDirk Kuyt believes Fernando Torres can upstage Cristiano Ronaldo this season and fire Liverpool to the Barclays Premier League title. The Dutch forward is convinced the Spanish hot-shot can go on to emulate the goalscoring feats of his debut campaign with the Reds and feels he has all the attributes - both on and off the pitch - to become the best striker in the world.

"Can he get title for Liverpool as Ronaldo did last season? Why not? Of course they are different players, he comes in from the side but Fernando is a real striker he has everything to be the best player this season," said Kuyt.

"There was nothing on when he got the ball but he scores a few goals like that. He is always looking for the target and as soon as he gets space to shoot he shoots and often scores.

"He is a megastar now but not only is he a great striker but also a great personality, he is just the same on the pitch, in the dressing room, outside the game.

"Off the pitch he is just a normal guy, just one of us but on the pitch he is different. He is something special.

"The partnership (with Robbie Keane) is getting better and if you are good players like those two it does not need much time, they will get used to each other, it is just about feeling and I am sure the partnership will grow and grow."

Having witnessed Torres' impact on the English game first-hand, Kuyt believes his Reds teammate is now the best striker in the business and feels he has developed a happy knack for scoring vital goals - as he proved in the Euro 2008 final for Spain.

He said: "Fernando played wonderfully at the Euros as well and always when you need him he takes very important goals.

"He is a top quality players and for me he is the best striker in the world. If you are speaking about a real striker, he is the pinnacle, he is everything, Not only in normal games but more often that not in special games."

While Torres has continued to flourish in a central striking role, Kuyt has had to adapt his game from a position up top to one on the right side of midfield.

For most forwards this would prove frustrating, but not Kuyt, who is happy to do a job on the wing if it ensures Liverpool continue to win matches.

He said: "The most important thing is to contribute to the team and play regularly. It doesn't matter that much if I am playing up front or behind the strikers or on the right.

"I played the last 15 games on the right last season and enjoyed it because we were getting good results and if I stay there and we start winning some trophies I will be happy.

"The most important thing is to be in the team and if Robbie and Fernando are scoring the goals and are the top scorers in the league I will be happy to get the assists. That would be great because for me scoring goals is not the most important thing. It is not always about scoring goals.

"As a Dutchman I grew up watching van Basten and Gullit and they were the best players and he is as good as them."

[

So thanks jimjim , I'll leave your suggestion :o .

Well, it's not a big deal to me I just assumed they could just as easily click a link. It's just an aesthetic issue for me as it muddles up the conversation in my opinion. Doesn't matter, though.

As for Robbie Keane, great defending job. It was only hilarious to me because Torres ended up winning the match. If it was 0-0 that would have been frustrating. Torres goal was just fantastic. He's still going strong. I thought Liverpool were crap otherwise, though. They need to pick it up a bit.

Edited by Jimjim

[

So thanks jimjim , I'll leave your suggestion :D .

Well, it's not a big deal to me I just assumed they could just as easily click a link. It's just an aesthetic issue for me as it muddles up the conversation in my opinion. Doesn't matter, though.

As for Robbie Keane, great defending job. It was only hilarious to me because Torres ended up winning the match. If it was 0-0 that would have been frustrating. Torres goal was just fantastic. He's still going strong. I thought Liverpool were crap otherwise, though. They need to pick it up a bit.

I would very rarely click on a link in the man u / chelski forum , but if the story is in my face .......

I'm sure once we get into the champions league proper and Mascherano , Lucas and Babel arrive back from the Olympics things will pick up :o .

Aug 19th 2008

Transfer deadline extended - more time For Berbatov, Barry and the rest

The Premier League has confirmed the first transfer deadline of the season has been extended until 1 September.

The window is scheduled to close 24 hours earlier but, following normal league guidelines, it has been put back because August 31 falls on a Sunday.

The move has been agreed between the Premier League, Football League and Football Association.

Once the deadline passes, teams will then have to wait until January 2009 to sign players from other clubs.

Next Soccer Star

redrus