Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

i think squad depth is going to be the crucial thing this year. if we can be lucky with injuries to key players or the youngsters like ngog, lucas and babel really step up, then we could do it. but the lack of senior players in depth does worry me.

Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher have both been passed fit and begin at centre-back, while Glen Johnson makes his league debut for the Reds. Great news Gerrard starts also

Liverpool team in full: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Kuyt, Mascherano, Lucas, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Benayoun, Spearing, Kelly, Dossena, Ayala.

Big game for Lucas and Babel come on boys...

YNWA

Edited by Devil

Babel was poor, showed very little. Benayoun showed his class and if he'd been on the whole second half that could have been the difference. Probably deserved a second penalty for the shove on Voronin. Johnson showed why he was bought by winning that penalty and I felt we'd go on to win from there but it didn't happen.

Anyway, all in all a pretty shitty way to start the season.

Babel was poor, showed very little. Benayoun showed his class and if he'd been on the whole second half that could have been the difference. Probably deserved a second penalty for the shove on Voronin. Johnson showed why he was bought by winning that penalty and I felt we'd go on to win from there but it didn't happen.

Anyway, all in all a pretty shitty way to start the season.

Yep.

First half was painful to watch.

RAFA FRUSTRATED AFTER SPURS SETBACK

LFC TV

Rafael Benitez reflected on the opening day 2-1 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur and admitted his team must improve.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto fired Spurs ahead with a fantastic strike but Steven Gerrard equalized from the penalty spot after superb play from debutant Glen Johnson.

However, Harry Redknapp's charges got the all important goal when Sebastien Bassong headed home from a Luka Modric free-kick.

The Reds' manager was unhappy with the first half display but felt his side showed more attacking threat in the second period.

"We didn't play well, especially the first half, but we were much better in the second half," said Rafa.

"We pushed harder and had more options in the final third, but clearly we have to improve if we want to win these kind of games.

"We have to improve in the middle and keep the ball more and pass it better. The understanding has to be better. As a team we were not comfortable in possession in the first half.

"We were playing against a good team so we knew we needed to play well. We didn't but we have another game on Wednesday against Stoke and we have to improve."

Asked if he felt his side should have been awarded two late penalties, the Benitez admitted: "I think everybody could see, especially the challenge on Voronin. It was so clear. You could maybe say the second incident was ball to hand, but the first one was clear."

Another worry for the boss was the fitness of centre halves Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher after the pair clashed heads in the first half.

Carragher continued with a bandage around his head while Skrtel also tried to play on before eventually being replaced by Spanish youngster Daniel Ayala.

Asked about Skrtel and Carragher's condition, Benitez added: "Martin wanted to continue. We were a little bit worried but he did well. We had to change him in the end because he had a problem. He has had stitches.

"Carra also needed stitches so we will have to see how they are for Wednesday's game."

Suppose someone has to keep this thread alive, where are you all :)

First home game of the new season against Stoke looking forward to this one.

It was confirmed Skrtel cracked his jaw bone and its not broken (still sounds nasty though). They could rest him for 2-3 weeks but some people suggesting Rafa may risk him tonight.

I imagine the worry is Ayala might not be physically ready against the likes of Stoke who can be very physical. I think he will do fine from what I have seen of him with Carra alongside and if we keep them in their own half as much as possible.

Anyone with more team news for tonight's game?

Rafa Pre Match Press Conference- Stoke

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

4-0 that was too easy in the end.

Glen Johnson, this guy just gets better and better for Liverpool and for England. Fantastic home debut tonight, this 18 M Rafa spent seems nothing now does it.

Burnley gave Lucas and Masch more time on the ball than what Spurs did and that showed plus they looked to gel better tonight also. Lucas pushing forwarding more leaving Masch to hold so both playing to their strengths.

And the 3rd goal was a sublime team effort and magic from Gerrard.

Well happy, confidence must be sky high and I am looking forward to reading the papers tomorrow. Especially considering a few other results tonight :)

sorry dev, been a bit busy. that was more like it after sunday's debacle. thought lucas played really well, benayoun should start every game for me and johnson's exactly what we've been missing at fullback and looks like having a good understanding with kuyt. much more like it. i know it's 'only' stoke but perhaps we can now get this season on track.

sorry dev, been a bit busy. that was more like it after sunday's debacle. thought lucas played really well, benayoun should start every game for me and johnson's exactly what we've been missing at fullback and looks like having a good understanding with kuyt. much more like it. i know it's 'only' stoke but perhaps we can now get this season on track.

Hi Stevie, yes was a relief to see us get all those goals against Stoke at home at last. If we turn over all those teams we drew last year the opening day loss will all be forgotten. You can see what Rafa is trying to achieve by providing extra attacking options from the full backs to open up teams that park the bus, I like what I see.

I thought Insua had another blinder of a game, hes so consistent for a young defender. I think we might end up with two of the best full back in the league.

Yossi really has impressed again. Is it just me or is he a bit of a throw back to Peter Beardsley the way he runs with the ball into space and tries those threaded passes to the forwards.

Anyway lets hope we can keep this momentum going in to the Villa game, which I expect will be a tougher test..

RAFA DELIGHTED WITH KYRGIAKOS DEAL

Rafa Benitez believes Sotirios Kyrgiakos will prove to be a 'very good signing' for Liverpool.

The Greek centre-back has put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the option of a further year to complete his transfer from AEK Athens.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv, Benitez revealed the reasoning behind his decision to swoop for Kyrgiakos

"He is a tough defender who is strong and good in the air. He has a strong character and we were looking for these things," said the Reds boss.

"He can score goals and will be a threat from corners and free-kicks. He's very strong in defence but he will need time as always to settle into the Premier League. He will be a very good signing for us.

"We knew the player when he was with Rangers and we've been watching videos of him at Frankfurt and the national team. Our scout department had a lot of information.

"We've talked about the things he's done before and the things he'll have to do for us. It was good. He knows what we want and he's ready to work."

Benitez feels the acquisition of Kyrgiakos will be of benefit to young defenders such as Martin Kelly and Daniel Ayala - with the manager confident his starlets can learn from the experienced 30-year-old.

He said: "It will be positive. I was talking with Ayala about this. When the young players see someone with experience it is positive because they can learn from them.

"It also means they have more time. If they have to play some games they can but they are not under pressure."

89989055ap001_liverpool_fc_.jpg

I would like to know how to pronounce the name of our new Greek defender. Looks like we got him for only 2 million pounds? As for Ayala, he didn't do so bad did he? Obviously looked a bit weak of confidence when he had the ball and had to pass forward or even run forward, but otherwise he was pretty solid, wasn't he? I actually thought Kelly would be chosen before him but I guess because Ayala's Spanish and Kelly English he got picked first :) . I also thought San Jose would be first choice among those three but apparently not as we've sent him on loan back to Spain.

So, Lucas isn't so crap is he? Got a Brazil call-up for WC qualifiers in the next two weeks. At the same time, I'd rather he didn't go play in South America and then come back to play for Liverpool most likely jet-lagged, along with Masch. So now our two best midfielders will be flying across the Atlantic and back and probably will come back tired. Not too good for whatever fixture we have after that.

How about those reports of 15 million for Upson being blocked by the bankers? Sounds like crap to me. Don't think Rafa would be that silly, but you never know. Also saw a rumor about Van Der Vaart bid of 10 million pounds.

Yes he should come at a bargain basement price really, as it's clear he's surplus to requirements and they have the rules in Spanish league about only 25 players, so...it would kind of be useless for him to stay at Real Madrid. Players need to play. But I don't really see him coming to LFC.

anyone who gives madrid money for players is mental. should just make loan offers. they signed them all, let them keep them and pay half their wages.

pleased with the greek signing by the way, he'll give us something we don't have at the minute which is someone who is dominant in the air.

Edited by StevieH

Has anybody ever seen anything in Lucas, a Brazilian International and Zico he aint :D

Fu_ck sake here we go, I knew as soon as he got the unlucky own goal the Lucas bashing would start.

You asked has anybody seen anything in Lucas? obviously Dunga the Brazil national coach has by recently selecting him for the National team and obviously Rafa does, hey but what would they know :)

Judge him at the end of this season, I think its only fair, for sure he will be competing with Aquilani later anyway. I cant be arsed to go into a why I think Lucas is a good squad player rant as if you cant see it then you never will end off.

Carragher, Gerrard, Kuyt have all made a bad start to the season compared to their normal high standards, bad passes bad marking, and given fouls away so far this season (what was Stevie G thinking?) And yet nobody says a word.

Anyway way each to their own.

the problem is rather bigger than lucas. we finished second last season and had momentum, so we needed to invest in more quality in depth in the squad and try to kick on. as it is we've sold arguably the best central midfielder in europe and the player who made us tick and the manager has had to make a profit on sales this summer because the owners are a pair of lying frauds. we've gone backwards this summer and it's 99% down to the ownership.

the problem is rather bigger than lucas. we finished second last season and had momentum, so we needed to invest in more quality in depth in the squad and try to kick on. as it is we've sold arguably the best central midfielder in europe and the player who made us tick and the manager has had to make a profit on sales this summer because the owners are a pair of lying frauds. we've gone backwards this summer and it's 99% down to the ownership.

I just hope Rafa stays around until we get genuine owners in. I have a bad feeling those Yanks might even try and sack him if we win no silverware this year. I don't trust those two yanks for one second and its a nightmare situation at the moment.

I think all us old timers know it's a long way 'til the end of t' season - sure to be a lot in here crowing today, but I reckon last night's loss will probably be the slap across the face with (BJ"s) proverbial Black Puddin' for the 'Pool just like we copped it from Burnley.

Eh Tis funny game is fitball lad !

I think all us old timers know it's a long way 'til the end of t' season - sure to be a lot in here crowing today, but I reckon last night's loss will probably be the slap across the face with (BJ"s) proverbial Black Puddin' for the 'Pool just like we copped it from Burnley.

Eh Tis funny game is fitball lad !

Hope so mate, we actually looked impressive at times. Disappointing start no doubt, yet I can still see us challenging this year even with a thin squad. I would rather lose the odd game early on than draw a load like last year.

I just hope Rafa stays around until we get genuine owners in. I have a bad feeling those Yanks might even try and sack him if we win no silverware this year. I don't trust those two yanks for one second and its a nightmare situation at the moment.

i think rafa will stick around but i don't know who 'genuine' owners are. there are no billionaire sugar daddies around now who would be prepared to take on and write off such appalling debt as that we have - why would they? most people thought david moores was a 'genuine owner' and he turned out to be an idiot with pound signs in his eyes.

my bigger worry is that the lack of investment in quality squad players plus inevitable injuries could mean us not finishing top four, foregoing champions league money for a season and having to sell star players to service debt repayments. there's a big fuc_king slippery slope in front of us at the minute and good as the manager is he isn't a miracle worker.

Look on the bright side you have solved the problem of to many draws,

wont crow u win at bolton we looseto arsenal we are same points.

The league is not won in august.

of course it's not won or lost in august nev, but i'd be surprised if chelsea lose more than 2 or 3 all season. plus i don't see us having the depth to go on 9 and 10 game winning streaks this season either, even if/when aquilani joins the side. pretty pessimistic about this season all in all.

of course it's not won or lost in august nev, but i'd be surprised if chelsea lose more than 2 or 3 all season. plus i don't see us having the depth to go on 9 and 10 game winning streaks this season either, even if/when aquilani joins the side. pretty pessimistic about this season all in all.

Have to agree chelsea look strong but last year they started really well too.

Dont worry united will try and push them all the way to make for a intresting season.

It is for some.... :D

That's embarrassing singhy, are you sure you didn't mock that up :)

I was surprised by the lack of discipline your lads showed last night.Nothing wrong with their motivation,though.After pummelling Villa for the first 15 minutes,it didn't happen for them so,rather than be patient,they started to take chances and leave gaps.The last minute of the first half was mayhem with Benitez arguing with the fourth official over added time,Reina having a pop at the referee(why,I don't know as it was a definite corner) and Mascherano glaring at everbody.I was waiting for Gerrard to appear to calm things down on the pitch but there was no sign of him.He seems to me that he is a captain that leads by example rather than someone who imposes himself on the team.I'm not basing my opinion on last nights performance,either.What do you boys think?

I was surprised by the lack of discipline your lads showed last night.Nothing wrong with their motivation,though.After pummelling Villa for the first 15 minutes,it didn't happen for them so,rather than be patient,they started to take chances and leave gaps.The last minute of the first half was mayhem with Benitez arguing with the fourth official over added time,Reina having a pop at the referee(why,I don't know as it was a definite corner) and Mascherano glaring at everbody.I was waiting for Gerrard to appear to calm things down on the pitch but there was no sign of him.He seems to me that he is a captain that leads by example rather than someone who imposes himself on the team.I'm not basing my opinion on last nights performance,either.What do you boys think?

Same could be said for the Mascherano sending off at OT a couple of Years back...

i agree with you about gerrard, he's an inspirational captain like zidane was for france rather than a natural leader of men or organiser. we've lost our manager's on-field lieutenant in alonso and the players seem to be looking around for a leader. carragher is the defensive organiser, gerrard is inspirational but we've other captains who need to do more. mascherano is captain of argentina and needs to show more, kuyt and torres were both club captains in their previous jobs too. but we lack a leader at the minute.