Freelancers In Los

Hi

on my way to LOS in May, and wondered if there are similar situations to the UK, where an individual can register for tax and then work as a freelancer? I can't find any info on this whatsoever, so I'm assuming this just does not exist for expats, or is that wrong?

Cheers

:o

Guest endure

I should be careful with your use of the word 'freelancer'. It has a number of meanings in Thailand, not all of them completely innocent :D:o

Hi

on my way to LOS in May, and wondered if there are similar situations to the UK, where an individual can register for tax and then work as a freelancer? I can't find any info on this whatsoever, so I'm assuming this just does not exist for expats, or is that wrong?

Cheers

:D

Hi

Not in the way you are thinking of as far as I know.

Even in some continental European countries withing the EU it can still be difficult to set up as a "Freelancer" or "independent" - you have to show you are qualified in the trade/profession you are entering by showing valide qualifications and a CV showing experience in a credible manner - pretty much the same things to show for a WP in Thailand.

When I set up as a IT Consultant the only way was to set up a Thai LTD Company and employ myself with a WP.

I do know of other IT contractors who have been in Thailand but do not know how that worked if the Recruitment Agency was outside the country.

PS the other poster referring to "Freelancers" is alluding to the fact that "working" girls not attached to any bar or establishment are know by this term in Thailand :o

Thanks for your reply... I was hoping that I had somehow missed a trick here, but I think you're right in that I would have to set up a company and employ myself!! If it is at all possible, and practical for me to do so.

And yes... I've come across those "freelancers" before....

:o

and theorhetically .....(sp?) your work permit would only cover you to work at the address listed on it

In principle yes, but there's a way around this. I have only one employer and one address on my WP, which allows me to work as managing director and consultant. According to my lawyer its quite legal for me to perform my consultancy at another company's place, provided I'm sent there by my own employer. Haven't checked out the finer details, yet, but I'd assume there'll have to be a written contract between the two companies.