Nok Air Insurance?huh?

exterminator

I'd like to share this experience with fellow Nok Air regulars. I was confirmed on a Nok Air flight Bangkok - Loei for 7th April; arrived at the airport to check in, was told flight cancelled (no prior notice) and next available flight would be 9th April. I filled in an insurance claim form and rebooked for 9th April. On 9th April, went to airport to check in was told AGAIN!!!???? flight cancelled! Cut a long story short, I tried to claim insurance from Muang Thai which said they will pay for any delay more than 6 hours 10,000 baht. after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Nok Air, Muang Thai, and myself, I was told, insurance doesn't cover flight cancellations. <deleted>! for delays they pay 10,000 baht...not for TWO cancellations? What kind of insurance policy is this??? In a nutshell, what's the point to buy insurance from Nok Air/Muang Thai for their flights? Not a good experience. Nok Air is okay, but I think the policy with Muang Thai sucks.

May I ask your definition of "OK" ? You say you had 2 flights cancelled but Nok Air is still OK ? Then you say you are not happy with the insurance company who paid you out what they promised for a cancelled flight - they never agreed to insure you for 2 flights ?

I still have never figured out the need and/or purpose for flight or travel insurance. I've never bought it, never wish I had, never been in a situation where I would have used it. And this is from a guy who travels a lot.

After the first cancellation, just go to the counter & get a refund. Period. No need to involve a third party.

• Like 1

May I ask your definition of "OK" ? You say you had 2 flights cancelled but Nok Air is still OK ? Then you say you are not happy with the insurance company who paid you out what they promised for a cancelled flight - they never agreed to insure you for 2 flights ?

Nok Air is "OK" to fly. Their insurer - Muang Thai is NOT "OK"...they did not want to pay a single baht for either cancellation!

I still have never figured out the need and/or purpose for flight or travel insurance. I've never bought it, never wish I had, never been in a situation where I would have used it. And this is from a guy who travels a lot.

After the first cancellation, just go to the counter & get a refund. Period. No need to involve a third party.

AGREED. Never will I buy insurance fr any flight again.

AGREED. Never will I buy insurance fr any flight again.

insurance in general is a waste of money. They sell it because the probability is that you will not be able to make a claim and the insurers will walk away with your premium, why else would they sell it?

• Like 1

exterminator,

Unfortunately, you can read the policy disclosure statement prior to selecting it - granted it's on another page but it's available...

Having read through it, the section that relates to your case is a page of contradictions.

The policy at first covers certain reasons for cancellation and then goes onto to exclude those very reasons in the next part.

What a clusterf**k of nonsense...

exterminator,

Unfortunately, you can read the policy disclosure statement prior to selecting it - granted it's on another page but it's available...

Having read through it, the section that relates to your case is a page of contradictions.

The policy at first covers certain reasons for cancellation and then goes onto to exclude those very reasons in the next part.

Yes, I probably missed it - never in my travels (which is very often) have I ever experienced 2 cancellations on one booking. I don't blame the airline as it was cancelled due to technical problems..i'll rather be grounded than take a risk in the air. But the insurance IS nonsense.

Nok Air cancelled my flight from Udon to Bangkok, with insurance, while I'm in Laos, tried to email them, full mailbox, twice, 3 phone calls, stuck on hold till I hungup, finally got an email to them ,no response and I ended up flying direct to BKK on Lao central so when I get to BKK, no Nok Air booth at BKK, so they just burned me for the ticket, no nothing, and I;m back in the states so yeah why bother when you can't even get a response from them

Why should we need to buy insurance for a cancellation by the company. Failure to provide services should be an automatic refund.

If my mechanic tells me he can't fix my car, I don't pay him. If a restaurant doesn't bring my food, I don't pay. What is the point of this insurance?

Why should we need to buy insurance for a cancellation by the company. Failure to provide services should be an automatic refund.

If my mechanic tells me he can't fix my car, I don't pay him. If a restaurant doesn't bring my food, I don't pay. What is the point of this insurance?

Insurance is for in case airlines screw up your holiday, e.g delays that cause you to miss other flights, extended stay, hotel cancellations, etc. Most airlines will pay a rate per hour above a minimun e.g if delay for more than 6 hours. But I don't know if they really pay as I have never experience such lengthy delaus. This Nok Air was the first - and the first - and they didn't want to pay! Huh...so no more buying insurance for me - read the fine print and you will find they are robbers.

Nok Air cancelled my flight from Udon to Bangkok, with insurance, while I'm in Laos, tried to email them, full mailbox, twice, 3 phone calls, stuck on hold till I hungup, finally got an email to them ,no response and I ended up flying direct to BKK on Lao central so when I get to BKK, no Nok Air booth at BKK, so they just burned me for the ticket, no nothing, and I;m back in the states so yeah why bother when you can't even get a response from them

I replied to wrong post sorry.

Edited by enyaw

exterminator,

Yes, I probably missed it - never in my travels (which is very often) have I ever experienced 2 cancellations on one booking. I don't blame the airline as it was cancelled due to technical problems..i'll rather be grounded than take a risk in the air. But the insurance IS nonsense.

Like other posts have questioned, why should the insurer pay out when Nok Air should just refund the cost?

Why should we need to buy insurance for a cancellation by the company. Failure to provide services should be an automatic refund

Insurance is for in case airlines screw up your holiday, e.g delays that cause you to miss other flights, extended stay, hotel cancellations, etc. Most airlines will pay a rate per hour above a minimun e.g if delay for more than 6 hours. But I don't know if they really pay as I have never experience such lengthy delaus. This Nok Air was the first - and the first - and they didn't want to pay! Huh...so no more buying insurance for me - read the fine print and you will find they are robbers.

I think its a case of the attitude of 'reap off' by Thai i suramce companies. I buy annual travel insurance coverage from AIG in Singapore, and never had any problems making a claim - from delayed flights to damaged/lost luggage. Coverage is worldwide as I bought the version that matches the travels I intend to make that year. Even falling seriously sick overseas and having to be evacuated back home is covered. I have had a friend who needed that and AIG even arranged the evacuation by air. Travel insurance is essential for anyone who travel frequently. Just need to pick the right insurer.

Why should we need to buy insurance for a cancellation by the company. Failure to provide services should be an automatic refund

I think its a case of the attitude of 'reap off' by Thai i suramce companies. I buy annual travel insurance coverage from AIG in Singapore, and never had any problems making a claim - from delayed flights to damaged/lost luggage. Coverage is worldwide as I bought the version that matches the travels I intend to make that year. Even falling seriously sick overseas and having to be evacuated back home is covered. I have had a friend who needed that and AIG even arranged the evacuation by air. Travel insurance is essential for anyone who travel frequently. Just need to pick the right insurer.

Spot on! That's what I've been told and this is what I will do from now on - Buy from AIG in SIngapore.

Spot on! That's what I've been told and this is what I will do from now on - Buy from AIG in SIngapore.

Really don't think any underwriter would pay out if a route is cancelled as the cost of your fare should be refunded by the airline.

I

Edited by enyaw