Yesterday Night,i Were Almost Bitten By A Big Dog In Chiang Mai!

blackantt

Yesterday night,I finished my dinner at 22:00.On my way home,I walked near the family boutique guesthouse.Suddenly, a big dog jumped out toward me without bark. I were really scared . fortunately,it was stopped by a passing motorist.

I have been chased twice before this time. I was angry,I wanted to complain the owner .What can I do for it ?

My teacher told me,I can buy a stun gun against dog.

Why does the Thai feed so many big dog without chain?

**** Comments in Chinese language have been removed. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai is allowed. ****

Edited by metisdead
Foreign Language removed.

Where I live in the US you can buy a "cattle prod" which is basically a long stun gun that does not stun cows. They are about a meter long and very effective against dogs. I don't know if you can get one in thailand. If you modify a stun gun and move the contacts to the end of a stick or plastic pipe I think you would have an effective tool to protect yourself.

Do whatever is necessary because a dog attack can be very brutal and even cause death.

Another suggestion is to take a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar or ammonia or a mix of chili pepper powder a couple drops of soap and water. Make sure the bottle shoots a stream and not spray. I have used the vinegar on cats that would foul my yard. Of course you can make your own mix.

Of course you can use a long stick with a sharp end if you want to do damage to the dog. Don't let him take your stick away from you........

The other day, I heard about a rapid farang who bit a dog! You don't believe me ??!!

Seriously, you will often find a walking stick the best simple protection. Use it in a threatening way; don;t actually hit a dog. I can't quite get a picture of walking along with a spray bottle of vinegar posed to beat off the occasional nasty soi mutt. If you do get bitten --- and it happens --- go get your rabies shots. In some cases, people who are responsible for such dogs (sometimes identifiable as the place where the dog gets food) will reimburse you for the cost of the medical service upon presentation of the receipt and a polite approach. I do not make this up. Under Thai law, owners are responsible for pet behavior --- but I am not certain about cats using your garden as a cat box!

On behalf of dogs, however, I do have sympathy. I know of one unfortunately large dog who was generally let roam by an irresponsible owner. He was a sweet-souled puppy. He still is a sweet-souled ( very large) dog, but someone beat him one night in front of his house. I heard it but could not stop it. He learned to hate people. Now, even I, who have know him by name since he was a puppy, have to be cautious in approaching him. Sticks and stones do hurt their bones, and they remember. I think that being very noisy is a better solution for man and beast.

Otherwise, I wish that some people would have had better parental training.

A very very quick Farang dog biter?

Unless you know you will meet an aggressive dog and will need to defend yourself, I would recommend against carrying a stick/cane. Many soi dogs that would normally just ignore you will growl, bark and maybe even snap at you if you carry anything resembling a stick, because they have had bad experiences with people beating them with sticks.

Sophon

Unless you know you will meet an aggressive dog and will need to defend yourself, I would recommend against carrying a stick/cane. Many soi dogs that would normally just ignore you will growl, bark and maybe even snap at you if you carry anything resembling a stick, because they have had bad experiences with people beating them with sticks.

Sophon

Great idea, canes are legal, self defence is legal, the cane may well save you from more than dogs, there's bigger and meaner 2 legged animals out there on the streets.....

• Like 1

Sophon

Great idea, canes are legal, self defence is legal, the cane may well save you from more than dogs, there's bigger and meaner 2 legged animals out there on the streets.....

I imagine Sophon's theory would apply equally to the 2 legged threats.

Now you know why I believe all wild dogs should be eaten like cows pigs and chickens To many dog just running the street.

Start a movement to eat them

I will not be joining your movement if you don't mind.

Yours has got to be the most stupidest post ever !!!

Now you know why I believe all wild dogs should be eaten like cows pigs and chickens To many dog just running the street.

I won't join your movement...

However there are many cultures that like to snack and feast on dogs bah.gif , Thai, Tai Yai, Burmese, Vietnam is a multi-ethnic country with over fifty distinct groups (54 are recognized by the Vietnamese government), Cambodian, Filipino, Chinese etc. (who all prefer the black color dog, not sure why)....

I was in Issan not long ago and some guys grabbed the next door farmers dog and BBQ him right then and there, it was not pretty to watch, but they sure enjoyed doing it (killing and skinning) and eating it up.

Where I live in the US you can buy a "cattle prod" which is basically a long stun gun that does not stun cows. They are about a meter long and very effective against dogs. I don't know if you can get one in thailand. If you modify a stun gun and move the contacts to the end of a stick or plastic pipe I think you would have an effective tool to protect yourself.

Do whatever is necessary because a dog attack can be very brutal and even cause death.

I always found that cheap electronic mosquito zapping bats had more than one use!

However there are many cultures that like to snack and feast on dogs bah.gif , Thai, Tai Yai, Burmese, Vietnam is a multi-ethnic country with over fifty distinct groups (54 are recognized by the Vietnamese government), Cambodian, Filipino, Chinese etc. (who all prefer the black color dog, not sure why)....

I was in Issan not long ago and some guys grabbed the next door farmers dog and BBQ him right then and there, it was not pretty to watch, but they sure enjoyed doing it (killing and skinning) and eating it up.

Before you eat them, I think you would want to feed them some clean food for a while!

Seriously, there is a technique that seems to work (it worked the few times I needed it)

I read somewhere that dogs (being domesticated) have a 'built in' genetic reflex, that if a human (one of us!) bends over to pick up a rock, that will disarm them. Even if there is no rock!!! Just the movement of leaning over seems to do it...

I was on Koh Tao, and a rather aggressive German Shepherd style dog started barking really nastily at me as I walked along the beach. I bent over and picked up a long reedy leaf that was laying there (it was about 40cm) and just kept walking, holding the reed by my side.

The dog shut up at once, and just 'disarmed'. The tourists tanning there didn't know how I had done it. All I had done was pick up a piece of grass...

• Like 1

Before you eat them, I think you would want to feed them some clean food for a while!

Seriously, there is a technique that seems to work (it worked the few times I needed it)

I read somewhere that dogs (being domesticated) have a 'built in' genetic reflex, that if a human (one of us!) bends over to pick up a rock, that will disarm them. Even if there is no rock!!! Just the movement of leaning over seems to do it...

I was on Koh Tao, and a rather aggressive German Shepherd style dog started barking really nastily at me as I walked along the beach. I bent over and picked up a long reedy leaf that was laying there (it was about 40cm) and just kept walking, holding the reed by my side.

The dog shut up at once, and just 'disarmed'. The tourists tanning there didn't know how I had done it. All I had done was pick up a piece of grass...

I want to try this, next time I see a barking, overly aggressive, nasty, frothing at the mouth rabid dog, I will stop and pick up anything.... I really hope it will work though, could be a bit intense if the Soi Mutt ran over and gave me a good biting!!

Speaking of feeding the dogs clean food and water prior to eating - In Vietnam they make the dog go hungry, then feed and water it so much (until it's stuffed) then they kill it, skin it, BBQ the meat and boil the stomach, I guess they are like the Scottish (Haggis) of Asia, but in Scotland I think the stuff the stomach after....

post-23543-0-49165500-1367033057_thumb.j

One thing you should not expect is sympathy. I know three people who have been attacked by dogs in Chiang Mai, in every case they were told by the Thai owners that "the dogs are Thai, the roads are Thai, if you don't like it go back to your own country". Two things come to mind, what kind of people don't say i'm sorry when their dog bites someone, and how much lower is a farang than a dog in the Thai way of thinking. PS the last guy that was bitten went to hospital for treatment as well as a series of rabies shots. The next day the police had not removed the dog and the owner stated that the dog had bitten "lots" of farangs.

One thing you should not expect is sympathy. I know three people who have been attacked by dogs in Chiang Mai, in every case they were told by the Thai owners that "the dogs are Thai, the roads are Thai, if you don't like it go back to your own country". Two things come to mind, what kind of people don't say i'm sorry when their dog bites someone, and how much lower is a farang than a dog in the Thai way of thinking. PS the last guy that was bitten went to hospital for treatment as well as a series of rabies shots. The next day the police had not removed the dog and the owner stated that the dog had bitten "lots" of farangs.

A classic case of the owner (not the dog) needing a 'kin good slap, me thinks.