Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

Thailand approves layout for Formula 1 circuit
By Jonathan Noble

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is making progress with its plans to hold an inaugural Formula 1 race in 2015 after local authorities approved the layout for the proposed Bangkok track this week.

The Sports Authority of Thailand met on Thursday to discuss the concept, and confirmed that a 5.995 kilometre circuit would be created near the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard in Bangkok.

The circuit will run past several major tourist destinations, including the Grand Palace, the Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107055

-- AUTOSPORT 2013-04-26

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be interesting what effect F1 coming to Thailand may have on the driving "standards" for locals.

Absolute mayhem and a death toll greater than the 7 deadly days of Songkram?

• Like 2

You only have to look at the Bangkok Futsal Arena in Nong Chok, still far from complete nearly 6 months after the tournament it was built for has finished, to know this will never go to plan.

Good luck to them, I will definitely be going to watch if they pull it off......but I somehow doubt I will be watching F1 in Thailand in two years time.

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish. Its 7km from the Palace to Victory monument going the most direct way. That means that a circuit would be at least 14km long. And thats without a quick detour over the river to pass Wat Arun in Thonburi.

Maybe somebody should show Sports Authority a map of Bangkok:-)

What a load of rubbish. Its 7km from the Palace to Victory monument going the most direct way. That means that a circuit would be at least 14km long. And thats without a quick detour over the river to pass Wat Arun in Thonburi.

I think they must have meant Democracy Monument.

But I think the Thai Naval Dockyard is on the other side of the river.

• Like 1

Approval given to Bangkok’s Formula One racing route

f1.jpg?itok=bBMZUAoR

Bangkok has given the green light to a Formula One racing route, which will host the city’s first Formula One race in 2015.

According to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, a group of experts selected a 5.995-kilometer route that will take racers on a tour of Bangkok’s central landmarks, including the Grand Palace, Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

The Royal Dock Yard will serve as the race’s beginning and endpoint.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/04/26/approval-given-bangkok%E2%80%99s-formula-one-racing-route

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-26

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

the thai's prove us wrong on this 1.

Is that article actually claiming Bira is a world class circuit even though it's not even allowed to hold F3 races ?

Sounds like, but anyway, that article points out that the track has been 'given the nod' by the FIA and FIM.

But the proposed one in Bangkok has been given approval by local authorities..... only?

Another thing is that the Buriram track is spearheaded by Newin Chidchob, and generally speaking, when Newin wants something done, it gets done.

Thai local authorities have approved the layout, and the Thai authorities of Bangkok's select committee only seconded the approval.

There is no approval at all from the FIA for formula 1 car racing on this circuit - end of.

What Thais consider safe roads does not serve one iota of reference for what the FIA Formula 1 track approval committee would.

Let's keep it simple, until further notice, as so far it's all Thai codswallop, as usual!

-mel.

• Like 1

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

• Like 1

The route would start and finish at the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard (Rat Woradit Pier), and would go along Maha That Road, Na Phra Lan Road, Na Phra That Road, Chakrabongse Road, Phra Sumen Road, Ratchadamnoen Avenue, Maha Chai Road and Thai Wang Road.

• Like 1

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

Because singapore is organised.

Adelaide used to have it, it took 5 weeks to set up and 2 to pull down. So you're looking at nearly 2 months of even worse chaos than exists in that part of tour now.

If the F1 oganisers had any brains they'd never allow it to be here, plus I'm pretty sure some city has to LOSE it, so either Singapore or KL would have to be really messing it up? (just my thoughts).

• Like 1

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

the thai's prove us wrong on this 1.

I think you are right ,Burnie will take one look at the layout plans then delete, re-arrange and the it will go into the too hard basket

I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. In other words, I'll believe when I see it and then it may all just be an illusion.