Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

Excuse me but the reports of the cracks were BEFORE the airport was operational.

OK, so that makes your example even less valid. They got experts in to sort it out and we now have a functioning airport servicing 55 million people a year (for 6 years so far).

If they can build an airport that you're happy to use, I'm sure they can build an F1 track.

You forgot to mention an F1 car only weights 642kg whistling.giftongue.png

Shit ..... you mean my Ex weighs more than an F1 Car...... small wonder she was so hard to steer...... (especially in the wet)

• Like 1

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disagree. You may as well just come out and say it i.e. that you think Thais are incompetent fools.

Not all of them, and I know many incompetent fools of different nationalities, but they don't tend to end up being in charge of anything.

I disagree. You may as well just come out and say it i.e. that you think Thais are incompetent fools.

Not all of them, and I know many incompetent fools of different nationalities, but they don't tend to end up being in charge of anything.

I'm talking about the collective "Thais", not individuals. i.e. as a nation can they pull it off?

Most people on this forum have a very dim view of Thais in general and consider themselves and their home nations superior.

Bad roads are mainly due to limited infrastructure (no drainage) in cities and towns (eg Pattaya & Bangkok) which have grown too fast. It's hard to rebuild a city/town.

We (Australians) have our own disasters - Sydney is a good example. It wasn't long ago they were pumping their raw sewage straight into ocean at tourist beaches.

Why all the negative vibes? Creating a road circuit is a darn sight easier than building a custom built track...it’s not rocket science.

I for one really hope it comes off smile.pngthumbsup.gif

I cannot agree with that. Especially if the underground and hence the surface is in such a bad state as it is in Bangkok. To make a smooth surface suitable for Formula 1, the whole street foundation has to be redone, otherwise one year after all the bumps are back.

And what about run-off zones, safety barriers, pit lane, parc ferme, garage zone not to mention grand-stands for spectators and fenced access to them?

And then the nightmare of redirecting all the traffic around the race track... not easy at all. I would believe it's easier to build a circuit from scratch meeting all the safety standards of 2013.

Depends on what you deem easier...resurfacing/laying 6km of F1 compliant asphalt (minimal run offs because it’s a street race) and all the support buildings you’d have to build anyway...or building a new circuit outside of Bangkok which you then have to get all the spectators to (traffic chaos

at Silverstone is a case in point).

I understand there will be problems with traffic in BKK while they build the circuit, but the actual costs will be much lower and it will be easier to do.

Some nice comparisons on the plus/minus of a street circuit against a custom built one here.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-formula-one-s-300m-american-dream-092200170.html

There is absolutely no point having the race in Thailand if you don't showcase the picturesque Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Democracy monument as a backdrop to the race course. Television viewers who don't know Thailand from Taiwan will see what a beautiful city Bangkok is (true or not). This will bring future tourist who want to see the Grand Palace and other sights highlighted by the telecast. IF IF IF they do it right, this could be a boon for high-end tourism. No high Traffic areas are involved in the proposed route and relatively few will be inconvenienced. It all comes down to the 'IF' word.

Why all the negative vibes? Creating a road circuit is a darn sight easier than building a custom built track...it’s not rocket science.I for one really hope it comes off I cannot agree with that. Especially if the underground and hence the surface is in such a bad state as it is in Bangkok. To make a smooth surface suitable for Formula 1, the whole street foundation has to be redone, otherwise one year after all the bumps are back.And what about run-off zones, safety barriers, pit lane, parc ferme, garage zone not to mention grand-stands for spectators and fenced access to them?And then the nightmare of redirecting all the traffic around the race track... not easy at all. I would believe it's easier to build a circuit from scratch meeting all the safety standards of 2013. Depends on what you deem easier...resurfacing/laying 6km of F1 compliant asphalt (minimal run offs because it’s a street race) and all the support buildings you’d have to build anyway...or building a new circuit outside of Bangkok which you then have to get all the spectators to (traffic chaosat Silverstone is a case in point).I understand there will be problems with traffic in BKK while they build the circuit, but the actual costs will be much lower and it will be easier to do.Some nice comparisons on the plus/minus of a street circuit against a custom built one here.http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-formula-one-s-300m-american-dream-092200170.htmlThere is absolutely no point having the race in Thailand if you don't showcase the picturesque Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Democracy monument as a backdrop to the race course. Television viewers who don't know Thailand from Taiwan will see what a beautiful city Bangkok is (true or not). This will bring future tourist who want to see the Grand Palace and other sights highlighted by the telecast. IF IF IF they do it right, this could be a boon for high-end tourism. No high Traffic areas are involved in the proposed route and relatively few will be inconvenienced. It all comes down to the 'IF' word.

Can't believe you are saying no high traffic on the proposed route as this area is an absolute nightmare to commute through in the morning and evening rush hours.

Do I want F1 in BKK? Absolutely!

Will it inconvenience tens of thousands? Absolutely!

What a load of rubbish. Its 7km from the Palace to Victory monument going the most direct way. That means that a circuit would be at least 14km long. And thats without a quick detour over the river to pass Wat Arun in Thonburi.

Minor detail for the planners, will sort that out once the race starts

Why all the negative vibes? Creating a road circuit is a darn sight easier than building a custom built track...it’s not rocket science.I for one really hope it comes off I cannot agree with that. Especially if the underground and hence the surface is in such a bad state as it is in Bangkok. To make a smooth surface suitable for Formula 1, the whole street foundation has to be redone, otherwise one year after all the bumps are back.And what about run-off zones, safety barriers, pit lane, parc ferme, garage zone not to mention grand-stands for spectators and fenced access to them?And then the nightmare of redirecting all the traffic around the race track... not easy at all. I would believe it's easier to build a circuit from scratch meeting all the safety standards of 2013. Depends on what you deem easier...resurfacing/laying 6km of F1 compliant asphalt (minimal run offs because it’s a street race) and all the support buildings you’d have to build anyway...or building a new circuit outside of Bangkok which you then have to get all the spectators to (traffic chaosat Silverstone is a case in point).I understand there will be problems with traffic in BKK while they build the circuit, but the actual costs will be much lower and it will be easier to do.Some nice comparisons on the plus/minus of a street circuit against a custom built one here.http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-formula-one-s-300m-american-dream-092200170.htmlThere is absolutely no point having the race in Thailand if you don't showcase the picturesque Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Democracy monument as a backdrop to the race course. Television viewers who don't know Thailand from Taiwan will see what a beautiful city Bangkok is (true or not). This will bring future tourist who want to see the Grand Palace and other sights highlighted by the telecast. IF IF IF they do it right, this could be a boon for high-end tourism. No high Traffic areas are involved in the proposed route and relatively few will be inconvenienced. It all comes down to the 'IF' word.

Can't believe you are saying no high traffic on the proposed route as this area is an absolute nightmare to commute through in the morning and evening rush hours.

Do I want F1 in BKK? Absolutely!

Will it inconvenience tens of thousands? Absolutely!

truly, how many people commute past the Grand Palace? Those that cross the Pinklao Bridge on Ratchadamnoern can take Rama 9 bridge for a week. This route is NOT like Sukhumvit, Petchaburi, Silom, Pahonyoothin, Wipawadee Rangsit, or any of the other major roads. Please name one capital road, besides Ratchadamnoern, that will be impacted by the proposed course. Tens of thousands in a city of up to twelve million people in not bad. That many are probably inconvenienced in any city where a F1 race is held.
  • Like 1