Businessman With Washington Ties Feared Kidnapped In Thailand

webfact

Nick is requesting that detailed information regarding the current legal proceedings and status of himself and his ex-gf remain private until a complete dissolution of his connection to her.

The initial thrust of this PR attempt was to raise the alarm and cast light on the situation in order that it not go quietly unnoticed.

Our belief is that we saved Nick's life through our quick and loud reporting of events as they occurred.

I can state that:

Nick returned home on Wednesday afternoon and had a list of important business matters to attend to, phone calls to make, emails to send, etc...

But by early evening he said he felt so de-energized that he just wanted to sleep.

He doesn't drink to excess nor consume drugs and he said that he had never felt like that before in his life.

His last memory was of being stood up from his bed by his GF and her "uncle" and taken to her waiting car.

The next 2 days are a blank.

Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia".

Our belief is Nick was not taken on a scenic drive to photograph the lush jungle on the Thai/Cambodian border rather he was probably slated to never be seen again.

However our vocal and timely intervention, breaking into his house to retrieve evidence, documents and ensure he, himself wasn't on the premises and thus summoning the police (via his gf's sister to report that we had broken in who also contacted the gf and alerted her to the situation) probably threw a monkey-wrench in her plans to secretly and silently make him disappear.

The gf's story after changing several times then stated that Nick was with her, in fine health and didn't want to speak with anyone (including police) but that she and him would return the following morning.

Myself and Harvey waited from 6am to around 8:30am for her to arrive at the time she indicated she would but she eventually showed up around 10-11am at which point Harvey was contacted and the events of yesterday unfolded.

I would like to say that she has been charged and is in custody for the crime (drugging, kidnapping) but alas it is not the case.

Nam Plah This story is starting to read like a soap opera. Realy!. It seams more like a domestic dispute rather than a (drugging, kidnapping) There are conflicts in your reporting like, Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia". But earlier stated "We think that Nick has been dosed with a hypnotic as he appears lucid but has no memory of the past 3 days (he may still be operating under the effects of some drug)." You also stated that the US Dept of State and Diplomatic Services were involved. What happened to them ? I'm sure if there were some criminal activity they still would be involved, You thanked all the local authorities for their support in helping in the return of your friend Nick yet they do not seem to be supporting Nick now? Sorry to state it like this but this story is very strange indeed.
Firstly, if there appear to be inconsistencies or confusion in my reporting it is because the situation is ongoing and unresolved.

I have attempted to report exactly what I know, when I know it and nothing more.

Any editorializing or opinions stem from posters outside of the affair.

Thanking the authorities is simply good form, and did not intimate that the ongoing problem was resolved but to note that Nick was returned alive and to thank all who became involved in serving that end.

Any ex-pat with more than a cursory awareness of the state of criminal activity and the law enforcement procedures in Thailand will understand that this is not a resolved matter and not simply a "domestic disturbance".

The entire thrust of my posting here has been to raise the alarm, become a thorn in the side of those who would otherwise ignore the case and ultimately in Nick's friends' opinion help to locate Nick and possibly save his life.

Yes, the US Diplomatic Services and Consular Attache are aware and involved.

Any speculation on the veracity or validity of any information that I have posted herein is the responsibility of the reader and if you think that I have nothing better to do than fabricate this story to some other end than helping my friend then you need to reexamine your own motivations.

I have no reason nor need to examine my own motivations! I was courteously stating how I was reading your posts regarding your reporting of what had conspired regarding your friend Nick nor have I relayed my thoughts on what other posters have stated. I take responsibilty for any speculation that I may take from the information that has been posted! As for yourself I dont know you from a bar of soap and would not know what tickles your fancy!

Yet it tickles your fancy to call him out.

• Like 2

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Nick Springer was returned to Pattaya after being forcibly drugged and held against his will for some 60 hours by his Thai ex-girlfriend.

His condition is being monitored by a physician and a complete legal proceeding against the suspected abductor(s) is underway.

We thank all for their concern, support and interest in Nick's whereabouts and situation and we will update the story as further details become available.

Nice to know, but how was he located and who is legally proceeding? It couldn't be the much maligned Thai Police, could it?

Who else? blink.png

Wow....having your business " partners" kidnap you would be pretty bad, but having your " girlfriend " kidnap you is REALLY hard core. Lesson learned ? If you are rich do not tell your Thai girlfriend... :-)

Rich or not rich, you could get in big trouble, even deadly trouble with the wrong Thai (Ex) GF or (EX) wife who gets in a fury about you! bah.gif

"ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive"

That is a gem of wisdom... There are a lot of expats with their Thai wives aka opportunist employees.

So few seem concerned about having their oatmeal poisoned etc when the guy is old and the wife would like the assets to herself.

Or a greedy family member looking to help improve the families situation. Having a Will leaving them additional wealth after the house and car.. That's like putting an invisible bounty on your death.

Heads up

Agreed... Tell your loving Thai wife/girlfriend that every month you received a fixed sum of money every month from an account back in your home country. Then tell her if you died, the money will cease instantly. By this system you will live a long and happy life here...

Hard to know with limited facts , but it looks like a unhappy girlfriend being cut off from the gravy train. From the Seattle newspaper Kirotv.com story.

"His ex-girlfriend had been threatening him for a long time Sims said."

Jeesus... Some people are just amazing. Why would you live with someone in a country where you have to take these measures to have a relationship?

Treat your partner with love and respect and enjoy your life, work's for me.

The name in my home country for a guy in such a relationship is, "Pantoffelheld" - "henpecked" (husband). rolleyes.gif

Jeesus... Some people are just amazing. Why would you live with someone in a country where you have to take these measures to have a relationship?

Treat your partner with love and respect and enjoy your life, work's for me.

you're new here i see.........

So are you! wink.png

Am guessing this will not help Thailand's push to have more foreign investors come here. Will be curious to see what the Thai police do. Either a full out investigation since a foreigner was involved, or they fear the results of a proper investigation and will let this quietly fade away, and hint that he may have disappeared himself.....

Note to self: Do not EVER go into business in Thailand.

Sound advice (Do not EVER go into business in Thailand) And one can forget about the 'keystone cops' they couldn't find their shadow at 3.00 PM "on a bright sunny day"
You guys talk about something you have no idea what you are saying.

Obviously you have not done any business in Thailand so how can you be an expert to say something like this.

The guy went missing, for what reason we have no idea, might not even be related to the business.

I opened my company in Thailand over 7 years ago. Doing very well. However I'm lucky that I'm from the USA and therefore can own the company 100%.

I have several other friends that are expats that own companies here too. The one has had his company for over 20 years and has a Thai partner.

He has never had any problems either. Granted he is not getting rich, but does well. Yes, there are many stories about being ripped off. I would think that in most cases there is more to the stories such as a person getting involved or opening a company they have no experience in. Just like many guys that come here and get cleaned out from their girlfriends. They end up doing things being gullible buying a house in their wife or girlfriend's name. Buying a car for them etc. Going into business not knowing what you are doing. If you know what you are doing and are cautious you can protect yourself.

You sit back and let you girl friend or wife advise you on everything then in most (not all) cases you will have problems. Being in Thailand you still need to check into things yourself and not rely on the "word" of someone else. I know allot of expats the lost everything and really in the end it was their own fault for listening to others instead of making their own decision based on facts. Buying a condo in your own name instead of a house in someone else s name is a good example, unless you can afford to walk away from the house or you absolutely trust your wife, but then you are still taking a risk. Yes, Thailand can be risky, but it's all up to you how risky you make it.

The comment that "you are more valuable dead than alive" is a good statement, you need to make sure when you do things that you keep it that you are valuable alive, but this is also a true statement for anywhere else in the world not only Thailand. There have been plenty of people killed in the USA/ UK etc because of greed, this is not just a "Thai" thing.

• Like 2

This American guy is doing everything wrong in Thailand and will likely continue to do so.. Why did he buy a house with a Thai Gf ,pray tell? I bet she put in not one satang.

there are two kinds of women in Thailand

1. those who have nothing to do with farangs because they have a life to live.

2.those that have no life anymore (useless Thai husbands) so they hang around farangs for the easy money and Chanote Reds.

........always. Ive seen it so many times here.

Edited by jalansanitwong

2.those that have no life anymore (useless Thai husbands) so they hang around farangs for the easy money and Chanote Reds.

Seriously? This summarizes all Thai women? You hang with a bad crowd.

Edited by USNret
  • Like 2

This American guy is doing everything wrong in Thailand and will likely continue to do so.. Why did he buy a house with a Thai Gf ,pray tell? I bet she put in not one satang.

So all the years you have been here you have only met two types of women:

1. The ones that dont want anything to do with you

2. the ones that only want money from you.

Feel sorry for you.

• Like 2

Feel sorry for you.

I don't.

• Like 2

Feel sorry for you.

I like the ones that only want money so I budget accordingly.

• Like 2

Capitalizing such a business in Thailand is a very dangerous thing to do. I hope he is OK but it doesn't sound real good.

At every step, whether it be being involved with a woman, investing in a business or property, and often the first combined with one of the others, a farang's first and ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive.

I have no idea what the State Department can do on Thailand's turf. The State Department isn't exactly Seal Team 6.

the first intelligent thing i heard in a long time.... a farang's first and ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive.

Capitalizing such a business in Thailand is a very dangerous thing to do. I hope he is OK but it doesn't sound real good.

At every step, whether it be being involved with a woman, investing in a business or property, and often the first combined with one of the others, a farang's first and ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive.

I have no idea what the State Department can do on Thailand's turf. The State Department isn't exactly Seal Team 6.

the first intelligent thing i heard in a long time.... a farang's first and ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive.

You really do need to listen out a bit more then.

While they are the meat and veg of many of TV's uninformed/ignorant, such old canards bear little resemblance to reality. whistling.gif

Nick is requesting that detailed information regarding the current legal proceedings and status of himself and his ex-gf remain private until a complete dissolution of his connection to her.

The initial thrust of this PR attempt was to raise the alarm and cast light on the situation in order that it not go quietly unnoticed.

Our belief is that we saved Nick's life through our quick and loud reporting of events as they occurred.

I can state that:

Nick returned home on Wednesday afternoon and had a list of important business matters to attend to, phone calls to make, emails to send, etc...

But by early evening he said he felt so de-energized that he just wanted to sleep.

He doesn't drink to excess nor consume drugs and he said that he had never felt like that before in his life.

His last memory was of being stood up from his bed by his GF and her "uncle" and taken to her waiting car.

Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia".

Our belief is Nick was not taken on a scenic drive to photograph the lush jungle on the Thai/Cambodian border rather he was probably slated to never be seen again.

However our vocal and timely intervention, breaking into his house to retrieve evidence, documents and ensure he, himself wasn't on the premises and thus summoning the police (via his gf's sister to report that we had broken in who also contacted the gf and alerted her to the situation) probably threw a monkey-wrench in her plans to secretly and silently make him disappear.

The gf's story after changing several times then stated that Nick was with her, in fine health and didn't want to speak with anyone (including police) but that she and him would return the following morning.

Myself and Harvey waited from 6am to around 8:30am for her to arrive at the time she indicated she would but she eventually showed up around 10-11am at which point Harvey was contacted and the events of yesterday unfolded.

I would like to say that she has been charged and is in custody for the crime (drugging, kidnapping) but alas it is not the case.

I personally know Nick^ this is what he would want. He is a very private man. He does not like sharing details about his personal life. For the suspect to do this. She had to know something most don't.

This is so crazy. I just saw him last month I believe. And I can promise He is not the drug taking type. Maybe a drink or two every now and then. But work is 10x more important to him.

Nick and I have butted heads a few times as an ex-employee of his. But at the same time him and I get a long great.

And I can personally attest, he knows what he's doing. Because some thing terrible like this happened in no way reflects his intelligence. He is by far one of the smartest individual's I have ever met in my life. And he is very sharp and pays attention to detail of every thing. He doesn't miss much..

I can also say he would have a heart attack seeing how much details of everything is now "public" he is a very private man. And If you don't need to know. He won't tell you. So I'm sure his ex if she really did do this, knows some thing 98% doesn't know.

Nick can step on 2 pennies and turn it into a silver dollar and 4 quarters.

I'm just happy he is going to be okay. He's a good guy and all of us back in Oregon are rooting for him and have been extremely worried about our friend.

I can state that:

I personally know Nick^ this is what he would want. He is a very private man. He does not like sharing details about his personal life. For the suspect to do this. She had to know something most don't.

This is so crazy. I just saw him last month I believe. And I can promise He is not the drug taking type. Maybe a drink or two every now and then. But work is 10x more important to him.

This is very strange! What is the all out to convince TV members about the evils of Nicks girlfriend? I have already stated this reads more like a soap opera and this convinces me more. Did you realy just join TV just to tell us all that? even considering noone on here knows any of you?

I can state that:

Nam Plah This story is starting to read like a soap opera. Realy!. It seams more like a domestic dispute rather than a (drugging, kidnapping) There are conflicts in your reporting like, Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia". But earlier stated "We think that Nick has been dosed with a hypnotic as he appears lucid but has no memory of the past 3 days (he may still be operating under the effects of some drug)." You also stated that the US Dept of State and Diplomatic Services were involved. What happened to them ? I'm sure if there were some criminal activity they still would be involved, You thanked all the local authorities for their support in helping in the return of your friend Nick yet they do not seem to be supporting Nick now? Sorry to state it like this but this story is very strange indeed.

Firstly, if there appear to be inconsistencies or confusion in my reporting it is because the situation is ongoing and unresolved.

I have attempted to report exactly what I know, when I know it and nothing more.

Any editorializing or opinions stem from posters outside of the affair.

Thanking the authorities is simply good form, and did not intimate that the ongoing problem was resolved but to note that Nick was returned alive and to thank all who became involved in serving that end.

Any ex-pat with more than a cursory awareness of the state of criminal activity and the law enforcement procedures in Thailand will understand that this is not a resolved matter and not simply a "domestic disturbance".

The entire thrust of my posting here has been to raise the alarm, become a thorn in the side of those who would otherwise ignore the case and ultimately in Nick's friends' opinion help to locate Nick and possibly save his life.

Yes, the US Diplomatic Services and Consular Attache are aware and involved.

Any speculation on the veracity or validity of any information that I have posted herein is the responsibility of the reader and if you think that I have nothing better to do than fabricate this story to some other end than helping my friend then you need to reexamine your own motivations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This all is no much NOT like nick

Because just like Nam Plah I'm worried about a friend. And out of the hours I've spent trying to find out information. Not easy to find it when your across a ocean working for a business he used to own. He was my old boss. There is more information about the situation posted here than ANY where else on the web I was able to find.

And Nam Plah seems to be in the loop with what's going on. And then secondly there is people over here in Oregon who are worried about Nick as well. And I have more information than most do, thanks to Nam Plah.

So yes, I did join to get in on the information. Most of you are speculating over all this and how he pulled this off and how he can't do that.

Truth is, this guy does any thing he puts his mind to. And it doesn't take much for him to focus.

So I'm worried about a friend. And I know he will go ape Sh*t over how much information has been leaked about whats going on. But with out this place I would still be left in the dark. And I had close ties to him at one point. My employees are worried about him. As am I. I'm glad I have a place to go to where I can get what seems to be accurate information.

And if you have a problem with me joining this so I can keep track of my old boss/friend. Well then I don't care. Don't like it. Get off the internet.. World doesn't revolve around your user name. Once this is taken care of non of you will hear from me again. But I care more about Nick than I do any of you.

If this had been any of you popping up on the news I would have said this is sad, And I hope they find him.

But my friend is a different story. So bug off. Don't like what I say. Don't respond. My friend is more important that some troll

• Like 1

Because just like Nam Plah I'm worried about a friend. And out of the hours I've spent trying to find out information. Not easy to find it when your across a ocean working for a business he used to own. He was my old boss. There is more information about the situation posted here than ANY where else on the web I was able to find.

And Nam Plah seems to be in the loop with what's going on. And then secondly there is people over here in Oregon who are worried about Nick as well. And I have more information than most do, thanks to Nam Plah.

So yes, I did join to get in on the information. Most of you are speculating over all this and how he pulled this off and how he can't do that.

Truth is, this guy does any thing he puts his mind to. And it doesn't take much for him to focus.

So I'm worried about a friend. And I know he will go ape Sh*t over how much information has been leaked about whats going on. But with out this place I would still be left in the dark. And I had close ties to him at one point. My employees are worried about him. As am I. I'm glad I have a place to go to where I can get what seems to be accurate information.

And if you have a problem with me joining this so I can keep track of my old boss/friend. Well then I don't care. Don't like it. Get off the internet.. World doesn't revolve around your user name. Once this is taken care of non of you will hear from me again. But I care more about Nick than I do any of you.

If this had been any of you popping up on the news I would have said this is sad, And I hope they find him.

But my friend is a different story. So bug off. Don't like what I say. Don't respond. My friend is more important that some troll

In response to that. Good on you for worrying about your friend! But as you stated "Most of you are speculating over all this and how he pulled this off and how he can't do that." so where is the information other than the couple of news articles that are on the web? And why don't you just contact Your friend Nick personally or even contact Nam Plah direct? Because as you say he is in the loop! and also as you stated "And I know he will go ape Sh*t over how much information has been leaked about whats going on." So instead of attacking me as a Troll on a forum I have been a member of for 7 years and you short of 1 day, phone your friend direct and get the info first hand !

In response to that. Good on you for worrying about your friend! But as you stated "Most of you are speculating over all this and how he pulled this off and how he can't do that." so where is the information other than the couple of news articles that are on the web? And why don't you just contact Your friend Nick personally or even contact Nam Plah direct? Because as you say he is in the loop! and also as you stated "And I know he will go ape Sh*t over how much information has been leaked about whats going on." So instead of attacking me as a Troll on a forum I have been a member of for 7 years and you short of 1 day, phone your friend direct and get the info first hand !

I've Tried contacting "Nam Phlam". No response yet. And I was talking about his owner ship in the business/ house....He would not do some thing that was not going to turn at least a small profit for him. IN MY OPINION. AND SOLELY MY OPINION ALONE. NO ONE ELSES. Nick always has a plan. I wasn't attacking you. I'm just saying I know him. Concerned about him. And me joining to keep tabs on my friend is in no way, a means to attack some one from joining a free public web sight.....

I've Tried contacting "Nam Phlam". No response yet. And I was talking about his owner ship in the business/ house....He would not do some thing that was not going to turn at least a small profit for him. IN MY OPINION. AND SOLELY MY OPINION ALONE. NO ONE ELSES. Nick always has a plan. I wasn't attacking you. I'm just saying I know him. Concerned about him. And me joining to keep tabs on my friend is in no way, a means to attack some one from joining a free public web sight.....

I can opologise if it came across as an attack on yourself! For me it was just a question in a very strange story. Look at it from where I'm reading? The original stories were instigated by Nicks partner to a newspaper in america, The headline was "Businessman With Washington Ties Feared Kidnapped In Thailand" and then alot of TV members start to talk about hoping he is safe? Then Nam Plah gets on saying he is safe but cant remember anything and after saying that the US government is involved in finding him and helping with his safe return. Then all of a sudden Nick has no support from the authorities and the girlfriend is evil and had drugged him for what? And then for you to say you are a friend and yet you cannot contact any of them. Again sorry but very strange the whole story!

I have no dog in this fight but just a comment.

Everyone who Posts on this Thread claiming to know "Nick" well invariably asserts he's very smart, pays close attention to every business detail etc. etc..

YET - he gets scammed - apparently - by this woman, House in her name, Company controlled by her etc..

There is a major discrepancy surely?

Patrick

• Like 1

Everyone who Posts on this Thread claiming to know "Nick" well invariably asserts he's very smart, pays close attention to every business detail etc. etc..

YET - he gets scammed - apparently - by this woman, House in her name, Company controlled by her etc..

Patrick

Smarter men than you or I have been hoodwinked by the exotic.

Patrick

i was woundering about this also, Man is carful about everything, as they all say here , And then seems like its a Shark of a wife try to make him disepare..

SO whats happend there now ? IS the Kidnappers in JAIL ? is the house secured? is his buisness secured? is it taken any money from him ?

Patrick

As Ozziebloke has alluded to it's strange that thanks to his friend we now seem to know more about this 'very private person' than anyone else on here!

Why are you so concerned about convincing a lot of total anonymous strangers on an open public forum?

I have no idea what you lot are involved in and personally, I don`t want to know, but whatever it is, it could conclude with someone getting murdered.

If as you believe, there has been an attempt on this guy`s life and the said person is in serious danger and risk, than the obvious next move is to get out of Thailand until whatever is going on is resolved.

You have been warned and how you continue your activities here is at your own risk and discretion.

You have no idea, don't want to know and yet are offering an opinion and advice.

Is your last sentence directed at me personally or at Nick for continuing to stay in Thailand?

I am saying that I don`t want to know your business here in Thailand, but if lives are in danger, then go somewhere out of harms way, and if you are also involved with this, then my advice also pertains to you, especially considering you`re in Pattaya.

And again I say; whatever you do here, you do at your own risk and discretion. You have to use your common sense. I would say the same to anyway in a similar situation, even if it was a close friend or member of my family.

My son is a policeman here in Chiang Mai, I have lived here over 30 years and what I tell you is good advice, showing genuine concern for this guy`s safety because I know the score here.

How else would you like me to explain this?

Why don't you just put this fact in your signature,then you won't have to tell everyone on here every third post?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Ive always said the safest place in Thailand is Bangkok(been here since 1999) never had a problem.

Foreigners who start fiddling around with Thai' co's, businesses and women in the provinces are just asking for it.

Many of them drop off the grid without sign or word. This story is the exception because foreigners are kicking up a fuss.

Cops couldnt care less.

Another farang will disappear 'up country' before the day is out.

I notice your name is jalan(Malay/Indonesian)sanitwong,I used to live on Charoensanitwong and I saw a couple get kidnapped in broad daylight right under the Pinklao Bridge,the same one that the Army General tried to blow up good ole Khun Thaksin under! About 10 gun-toting thugs boxed their little car in between two big jeeps,dragged them out the car and threw them into separate jeeps.

One of the thugs,obviously the leader had 3 mobile phones pressed to his ears and was taking order from someone,I only noticed they had guns when one stepped onto the pavement from the road and his shirt rode up,exposing his pistol tucked into his waistband/belt at the back.That's when I decided it was time to leave and as I did three of them,including phone man decided to follow behind me.I noticed this and went to sit on the wall until they had gone past me,if I was going to get jumped it was going to be with them facing me not from behind,I'm trained in various Martial Arts.

Needless to say a frontal attack was completely out of the question here and they walk past me for 10-15 metres then turned around and walked past me and back to the scene of the kidnap.

Bangkok is such a safe place though,isn't it?rolleyes.gif