Some Good Bike-News: Suzukia Akira And Honda Nova

I was recently given a bit of a chewing out over posting only bad news, so I'd like to mention the achievement of my excellent mechanic (and myself as a careful buyer):

Two antique bikes of mine are now running and driving like new: One an old Akira I bought for if I remember rightly about 3,500 baht. Finally got the fuel leak and the running issue sorted out, and now the bike's operating just toppingly. Total bill about 650 for the fuel leak fix (involved a rather expensive part with tubes running in and out of it - he gave me the bad old one as they always do) and the re-tuning was FREE, he just kept it two days to drive it a lot and get a feel for it - it really ran so much better afterwards I had to wonder what he did to it.

Next, he gave an old Honda Nova I bought the once-over - this bike I really splurged on, paying 6,000 baht, as it is absolutely perfect-looking, like new, and has only about 28,000 believable kilometers on the ticker. The bike ran and drove fine, but it definitely had something 'off' about it - it seemed like what it was: a bike that had been sitting under some elderly man's house for 25 years rarely being driven. Well, I handed it over to the same mechanic for a couple of days, and he worked his magic - it has come back running just as well as the Akira.

Interestingly, this Nova is a 4-speed 'click through' bike - no clutch at your left hand, and though it is a two-stroke apparently there is a 'gear oil' in the engine which is essentially the same as four-stroke oil. He changed that and with a new license plate frame and the little do-dad the tags go in, the bill was about 200 baht. I'm wondering if this 'gear oil', which apparently does need to be changed occasionally (though nowhere near as often as engine oil in a four-stroke bike), is found only in the 'click-through' style two-stroke bikes or also in the clutch bikes?

Edited by ClareQuilty
  • Like 1

Some of those bikes, and I don't know about that one, had common oil for the crankcase and the transmission. You'd have to ask the mechanic why the crankcase oil. Some of them had a splash system for the rods and mains, but again I don't know that one.

Post back after you ask, because it's interesting.

Some of those bikes, and I don't know about that one, had common oil for the crankcase and the transmission. You'd have to ask the mechanic why the crankcase oil. Some of them had a splash system for the rods and mains, but again I don't know that one.

Post back after you ask, because it's interesting.

The crankcase and transmission are always separate on a petrol two stroke or the transmission oil gets sucked up. I blew one of the cranks seals on my RD350 and it put out an amazing smoke screen while it was 'drinking' the transmission oil. The only two stroke engine I know of that uses a conventional oil system is the Detroit Diesel.

The only two stroke engine I know of that uses a conventional oil system is the Detroit Diesel.

Pretty much any two-stroke diesel truck engine like Commer, Foden or Rootes uses a "conventional" sump based oil system. They are super charged or turbo charged so there is no need for primary compression in the engine crankcase.

The only two stroke engine I know of that uses a conventional oil system is the Detroit Diesel.

Pretty much any two-stroke diesel truck engine like Commer, Foden or Rootes uses a "conventional" sump based oil system. They are super charged or turbo charged so there is no need for primary compression in the engine crankcase.

Some of the Detroit's I worked on had a supercharger and a turbo on top of the (8V-91T)...the others you mention are a bit before my time whistling.gif

Some of the Detroit's I worked on had a supercharger and a turbo on top of the (8V-91T)...the others you mention are a bit before my time whistling.gif

Well the others are before my time also but does not mean they were not there. Very little to do with the internal combustion engine format is new. It's mostly all been done before.

I'm going to try to show a link to a picture of that Honda Nova, I hope it works.. and I hope it isn't against the rules. If so I apologize in advance.

http://i.cubeupload.com/ycwag7.jpg

Ahhh it's one of those Novas!

I have fond memories buzzing around Chiang Rai as a 12 year old boy on one of those. Gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling to see one in good condition. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1