Is Chiangmai Still A Good Retirement Place?

eden8

"Slightly off topic........ does anyone remember when Immigration would refuse to service someone that was not "dressed politely" ?

MSPain"

Better to be refused a bit of service here,

Than over there and caned for riding and chewing gum.

That WAS a long time ago,

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai is a good place to retire. Get a house out of town, don't expect life to be the same as where you came from and most of all don't complain that Thais should do this or that, like did back where you came from. You can save money by not having a car - but if you live out of town, you will probably need one. The more money you have, the higher quality of retirement you will have, unless you are very ill. Abe Lincoln once said, " People are as happy as they want to be" - lot of truth in that because I see people that have much less than I do and they seem very happy.

• Like 1

I love it here, love it so much I'm buying a house.

We moved into our new home 2 months ago after a 6-7 month building period, and after renting for 20+ years. The construction/ house agency mentioned last week that had we started now there is no way they could sell us the 130+ sq meter property and house with our-added specs, for the price they did: if ever we decided to sell in the not too distant future they would pay us our costs 'plus'.

Their newest creation has all but sold out though most yet to be built, started at Baht 4-5 Million with the latest selling for Baht 6 Million plus.

They are having difficulty purchasing further reasonably priced Chiang Mai property sufficient for new housing estates because 'rich' Bankokians amongst others are buying up all available surrounding rice fields and land. They are kicking themselves for not having seen the trend before it enveloped them.

Any way, hope you've signed on the dotted line to lock in your new house price.

BTW, Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) will write mortgages for farang-Thai couples purchasing in approved housing estates; they seem to be the only bank that willingly does so for non-Thais in our experience

Cheers

1.8M for 145 sq. meter house, I'm Thai (and happily single) so no problems with home loan (so far), build finishes in August.

Already paid, 'intent to buy', 'contract', and 2 of the 5 monthly 'pre-build payments'.

post-151798-0-44017300-1367822447_thumb.

@tango

Congrats on your new home!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican