Cabbage Report

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the cabbage report DAL.

That is a pretty big warehouse. What else is it used for?

Yes it's big. In Lomsak to be precise. It's a small auction building, really. That day was a quiet day. Any vegetable changes hands here.

The hillsides are covered in the stuff.

Stunning photo's to supplement my report here Mr. VillagFarang. As i have grown to expect nothing less from you.

You are always welcome to post and more often!

Many thankswai2.gif .

I have a good photo shoot on the harvesting coming upthumbsup.gif .

• Like 1

I have never seen a green cabbage that has been grown here in Thailand so where do they go? On my visit to Pattaya I usually buy a Savoy cabbage (Villa Market) but this has been imported from Australia together with Swedes and Parsnips. I shop in Freshmart Korat and occasionally get organic "Failed" Brussel sprouts so just small green leaves but very tasty. I love my greens but usually have to just put up with broccoli, which I like, but having a varity of greens is much preferable. Perhaps green cabbage is a Farang thing and not enough Farangs in Korat to warrant selling here and maybe they are just sent to markets where there are a lot of Farangs. When I am in Pattays perhaps I have just been unlucky in not seeing green cabbages but on our last day shopping is a bit of a rush and we just go to Villa Market.

I have never seen a green cabbage that has been grown here in Thailand so where do they go? On my visit to Pattaya I usually buy a Savoy cabbage (Villa Market) but this has been imported from Australia together with Swedes and Parsnips. I shop in Freshmart Korat and occasionally get organic "Failed" Brussel sprouts so just small green leaves but very tasty. I love my greens but usually have to just put up with broccoli, which I like, but having a varity of greens is much preferable. Perhaps green cabbage is a Farang thing and not enough Farangs in Korat to warrant selling here and maybe they are just sent to markets where there are a lot of Farangs. When I am in Pattays perhaps I have just been unlucky in not seeing green cabbages but on our last day shopping is a bit of a rush and we just go to Villa Market.

Very good observation! I have no ideablink.png , anyone?

I am harvesting cauliflowers as well and sometimes they turn green.. laugh.png

I'm not sure whether most of the green cabbages that are grown in Thailand go for pickling or not. I usually only see the white or chinese type.

Those "failed" brussel sprouts are are possibly cabbage. When the cabbage is cut, there is regrowth from the stem and these look like brussel sprouts

that have not closed up. They are tastier than the original cabbaga IMO

I'm not sure whether most of the green cabbages that are grown in Thailand go for pickling or not. I usually only see the white or chinese type.

Those "failed" brussel sprouts are are possibly cabbage. When the cabbage is cut, there is regrowth from the stem and these look like brussel sprouts

I think i referr to these as baby cabbages Loong also posted on top.

Last night i ate them and they taste much better then regular cabbage!

I think i referr to these as baby cabbages Loong also posted on top.

Last night i ate them and they taste much better then regular cabbage!

I am assured by the sales girl, who speaks very good English, and is a representitive of the actual farm in Wang Nam Kaio that the small leaves are from Brussel Sprouts. I added the "Failed" bit as to me that is what they look like. Wang Nam Kaio is at the top of a "Thai Mountain" and cooler by a few degrees but I wonder if it is really cold enough to grow Brussels hence my idea that they are failed, but they taste very nice.

Because of the large photos posted earlier I am finding this topic tedious to read.

Having to keep scrolling left and right.

Nothing to say

Justy adding a post to hurry up

and get to the next page

Where it may be easier to read