Storage Of Houshold Goods

Hello gang,

Just got our O visas and heading to LOS. Anyone have any ideas about good storage places for our household goods for a period of 6 months or so. We would need about 150 square feet climate controlled and secure. Also cost info.

Thanks for any ideas.

KDF

Not sure what where I live now matters, but here goes ... I am now in San Francisco. Would like storage in Pattaya or Bangkok. We are not yet sure where we will live in LOS.

thanks

kdf

Well ......... You might get some more help if you told us where you are living now. :o

Forget about taking your stuff to Thailand, this place have the most corrupt customs system in the world, apart from the cost of shipping your stuff over here.

When we moved here we stored our stuff in a warehouse in Europe for 3 years before finally realizing this was just bleeding money and have a company trash it. A lot of money for nothing. Renting a 4 sq.mt. storage room in Europe cost about the same as you can rent a small apartment for here in Thailand.

Lopburi,

You are EVERYWHERE. I have benefitted from many of your past posts, thanks. Yeah, I know the PAL and voltage things, however have an irreplaceable bed, some expensive speakers, and the other odd and end. I thought we could bring in our used stuff duty free? I know customs is high, but tax a man's bed???? NoTV's, only a few electronics that are voltage adjustable, I wish I could follow the sage advice of bring money and a suitcase. I am ridding myself of 2 Lotus or Loti cars and much other stuff. Still wonder about the Ducati though.

Am I wrong about import without duty? Should I change one of our visa's to retirement? Married couple, noone a Thai, no need to work, but might want to run a bar/restaurant--its in the blood.

I will be in trouble with the wife if I blew it on the visa choice. Oh well, I am just happy to be going back to LOS.

kdf

You are aware, I hope, that you will be paying full customs duty on everything you bring into Thailand. That the electric system is 230v at 50Hz. That the TV system is PAL.

I thought we could bring in our used stuff duty free? I know customs is high, but tax a man's bed???? ......

Am I wrong about import without duty? Should I change one of our visa's to retirement? Married couple, noone a Thai, no need to work, but might want to run a bar/restaurant--its in the blood.

I will be in trouble with the wife if I blew it on the visa choice. Oh well, I am just happy to be going back to LOS.

kdf

lopburi3 is correct (as always) No duty free import of personal belongings unless you have a one-year non-immigrant visa accompanied by a work permit to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Nonresidents entering into Thailand with a non-immigrant visa who wish to retire are not qualified for duty exemption.

More details here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

lopburi3 is correct (as always) No duty free import of personal belongings unless you have a one-year non-immigrant visa accompanied by a work permit to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Nonresidents entering into Thailand with a non-immigrant visa who wish to retire are not qualified for duty exemption.

More details here:

:o Have I been under a misaprehension? I had understood that a returning Thai National could import household effects free of duty, if they had been domiciled abroad for two years or more. I would like to clarify this matter, as it will have serious implications for the wife and myself.

I thought we could bring in our used stuff duty free? I know customs is high, but tax a man's bed???? ......

kdf

More details here:

If the shipment is in the Thai wife's name (maiden) which matches her passport and she is the only face the customs broker in Lat Krabang sees, there should be no problem.

Hello Skipper,

Thanks I Have contacted Bangkok self storage and they may fit the bill. I apparently have bigger problems now with customs questions. Not sure what items may be duty free and howmuch duty may be on items we cannot get in duty free. Mainly hoping to bring in a special bed, may fit as a medical requirement and some very expensive speakers that I would hate to part with. There is also some art work and other odds and ends. O well it will be an adventure.

kdf

Why don't you try Bangkok Self Storage on Rama 4 Rd.

http://www.bangkokselfstorage.com/bss_thanku.html

:o Have I been under a misaprehension? I had understood that a returning Thai National could import household effects free of duty, if they had been domiciled abroad for two years or more. I would like to clarify this matter, as it will have serious implications for the wife and myself.

The OP said they are a

Married couple, noone a Thai,

wherefore I did not mention returning Thais, who (generally*) must have been abroad for at least 1 year.

*There are exeptions if earlier return became necessary for work/contract-reasons etc.

Edited by Axel

I went to bkkself storage and actually thought they were quite expensive. It's something like 9 square metres would cost around 6500 baht a month plus 7% tax. 4.5 square metres would cost about 4500 baht. Etc. The warehouse is not air conditioned and there's no humidity control - it was v. hot when I visited. You'd have to move the things there yourself or get movers to do it for you.

Are you using a moving company? Somebody like Asian Tigers for example can move and store stuff for you.

I went to bkkself storage and actually thought they were quite expensive. It's something like 9 square metres would cost around 6500 baht a month plus 7% tax. 4.5 square metres would cost about 4500 baht. Etc. The warehouse is not air conditioned and there's no humidity control - it was v. hot when I visited. You'd have to move the things there yourself or get movers to do it for you.

Are you using a moving company? Somebody like Asian Tigers for example can move and store stuff for you.

No, 2 Thais with a pick-up. 2 trips.

That makes MTT look very cheap.

Thanks for the heads up.

Contact at MTT is (Miss) Wanida.

kdf

More details here:

If the shipment is in the Thai wife's name (maiden) which matches her passport and she is the only face the customs broker in Lat Krabang sees, there should be no problem.

Please confirm...My wife chsnged her name in passport to mine when we married..have been in the UK for 3+ years...now going back to thailand to retire. We were under the impression that she can take things back FOC tax provided only one of each electrical..we dont want to take a lot anyway..we will say all is hers and I will not be about.

Hello skipper,

Bangkok self storage is unfortuately not climate controlled, so a definite no go. The Cremonas are nice as are most from Sonus Faber. I especially liked their large stand 2 way speaker, the extrema perhaps. Kinda partial to my Watt/puppies and have no real time to try and sell. Our bed is a cusom lattoflex that allows independent sitting or lying. Nice feature, if you fall asleep in the up position, it will gentle you down flat unless locked. Maybe some kind of medical paperwork will work for both, physical and emotional eh?

Well must find more info re import, duty or duty free.

There are lots of beds and speakers for sale around here.

In fact, I have some Sonus Faber Cremonas for sale if interested....

Hello,

Unfortunately no ac no deal. Bangkok self storage was about 2200 baht for 1.5 square meters. We need more space, but without air it just will not happen.

kdf

You could have a look at mttbkk.com for a shell studio apt (no aircon) for 1500bt /month.

Just check the locks or install your own. :o

How much per sq ft did bkkstorage quote you?

Yes Udon I know where I am headed (been in LOS 7-8 times as tourist with usualy 2 month stay) and the climate controlled is for more delicate items than the bed. Although the weights and pulleys that are part of this bed could use it also. Maybe you want the false chicken teeth if I find them while looking for climate controlled storage? I'll make you a good price.

I think you will find false teeth for chickens before "climate controlled storage" for a bed. :o

Are you sure you know where you are headed?

I meant no offense with my question.

Household storage is very hard to find in LOS, climate controlled, even more dificult, if not impossible.

Good luck. :D

Skipper, I guess you know a lot about MTT....... :o

No offense taken. My task to find air con storage may be difficult, but I will still try.

Now I am trying to decipher the duty rules to get some idea as to costs for used gear, does not appear very clear tits.

kdf

I meant no offense with my question.

Household storage is very hard to find in LOS, climate controlled, even more dificult, if not impossible.

Good luck. :D

Skipper, I guess you know a lot about MTT....... :o