Thai Army Chief Worried By Red Shirt Rally At Constitution Court

webfact

I like it when the army issues an unveiled warning. Go 'coup', time to rid Thailand of this mess and try to get some real law and order back into play. Reds threatening and demands? bah.gif

Yea, hooray for another airport blockade and tanks rolling through the streets. Hooray for democracy thai style

Simple enough to avoid a coup. Take out the issue from Dubai with extreme prejudice.

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the simple solution to all of this would be a ruling by the CC that as with a referendum - a two thirds majority vote is required in the house to pass charter and constitution changes - this is how it is done all over the world - if this was the case none of these changes would even be on the books as from the get go it would be realised they would never get through the house - everything would be sorted and this lunacy would stop - solved

as for the OP

I'd call this a very clear heads up - this government is now trying to overthrow the very backbone of democracy - Law - courts - judges - and the justice system, YS recent speech is a brainwashing exercise to try and justify this crazy unlawful stand against the courts - dangerous territory indeed - the government has overstepped their authority and they don't even know it - how sad is that

They already ruled that part by part changes can be made.

Abhisit did it before the last election to change the representatives per province.

I like it when the army issues an unveiled warning. Go 'coup', time to rid Thailand of this mess and try to get some real law and order back into play. Reds threatening and demands? bah.gif

Yea, hooray for another airport blockade and tanks rolling through the streets. Hooray for democracy thai style

Simple enough to avoid a coup. Take out the issue from Dubai with extreme prejudice.

Wow - that's an easy solution Rambo. Then all the ignorant NE Kwhai would forget the past 10 years, and revert back to a state of ignorance and servility.

For those who haven't cottoned on yet, the genie is out of the bottle, and ain't going back.

While Thaksin's natural demise (either politically, legally or medically) would certainly help settle the situation down a bit, his assassination (which you are advocating) would cause no end of problems in the short-medium term.

As an (I presume) Australian, you ought to hang your head in shame - both for your suggestion, and for watching too many cliched movies. . crazy.gif

Edited by jackspratt

First you have to realise that Thailand avoided a communist insurgency only 40 years ago by extreme intervention from the Thai army and help from the USA.

In return, the rural Thais were given a choice of get screwed by this Thai Chinese buyer or that one. But every effort from every government for 40 years sold them the line that even the mildest form of cooperative farming was essentially evil.

So 40 years later after watching the rest of Thailand develop like mad, Somchai woke up to a message of, " you've been lied to" by a person who had made his billions, but apparently wanted to help.

And help he did. So, the political slant of Thai politics changed about where the focus should land and NOT one politician from the old established groups could get it? Why?

Because, that is how they like it, and that is how they see the poor of the country. To deliver product for me to export at good profit, and give NOTHING back.

The Bangkok elite have cooked their own goose on this issue because they don't understand at all how to make a business that pays the farmer enough and allows them to make a reasonable profit.

Their profits as businesses have been extreme and protected through keeping other companies out. If I was Thaksin I would personally be so pissed of f that the only significant liberalisation was on my industry alone.

This is business and political payback pure and simple.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

First you have to realise that Thailand avoided a communist insurgency only 40 years ago by extreme intervention from the Thai army and help from the USA.

In return, the rural Thais were given a choice of get screwed by this Thai Chinese buyer or that one. But every effort from every government for 40 years sold them the line that even the mildest form of cooperative farming was essentially evil.

So 40 years later after watching the rest of Thailand develop like mad, Somchai woke up to a message of, " you've been lied to" by a person who had made his billions, but apparently wanted to help.

And help he did. So, the political slant of Thai politics changed about where the focus should land and NOT one politician from the old established groups could get it? Why?

Because, that is how they like it, and that is how they see the poor of the country. To deliver product for me to export at good profit, and give NOTHING back.

The Bangkok elite have cooked their own goose on this issue because they don't understand at all how to make a business that pays the farmer enough and allows them to make a reasonable profit.

Their profits as businesses have been extreme and protected through keeping other companies out. If I was Thaksin I would personally be so pissed of f that the only significant liberalisation was on my industry alone.

I notice you carefully avoid to go into any details. And you forgot the ending: "And they lived happily ever after."

The farmers might have been [expletive] by the Bangkok elite (whatever this is) but now they get [expletive] by the Chiang Mai Shinawatra Clan. The Cabinet is the richest in Thai history - and full of people with criminal records or people without any qualification for the job. Corruption is spreading like wildfire (30-50% of allocated funds land in the pockets of the - no, not the Bangkok elite). The courts, the Ombudsman and other independent agencies get choked off financially, the PM openly slanders Thailand by telling lies on the international stage to whitewash her brother and the warehouses all over the country are filled to the brim with rotting rice that no one will buy thanks to "Thanks in" (nice revealing typo - you corrected it) and his rice scam, causing the Thai rice export to shrink to 37%. And the spending frenzy of this bunch has just begun.

When someone runs amok you don't stand on the sideline and applaud - you stop him.

"And help he did." Yes, but only himself and his cronies.

• Like 2

I notice you carefully avoid to go into any details. And you forgot the ending: "And they lived happily ever after."

The farmers might have been [expletive] by the Bangkok elite (whatever this is) but now they get [expletive] by the Chiang Mai Shinawatra Clan. The Cabinet is the richest in Thai history - and full of people with criminal records or people without any qualification for the job. Corruption is spreading like wildfire (30-50% of allocated funds land in the pockets of the - no, not the Bangkok elite). The courts, the Ombudsman and other independent agencies get choked off financially, the PM openly slanders Thailand by telling lies on the international stage to whitewash her brother and the warehouses all over the country are filled to the brim with rotting rice that no one will buy thanks to "Thanks in" (nice revealing typo - you corrected it) and his rice scam, causing the Thai rice export to shrink to 37%. And the spending frenzy of this bunch has just begun.

When someone runs amok you don't stand on the sideline and applaud - you stop him.

Um. The shinawatras weren't in rice, sugar or rubber, chicken, pork, or fruit industry the last time I looked.

They are just following an idea that might change 50 years of getting screwed. Wouldn't you? This is why it is so incredibly insulting to say they are making an uneducated decision.

They have been educated that this is as good as it gets. Shut up and take it. Great message.......

And what did the connected and elite and bangkok do for 50 years? Laugh all the way to the bank.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Pity that you are more or less alone in your views.

The electorate don't seem to see it as you describe.

Alone, with 52% of voters that didn't vote for PTP?

Alone.

And plenty of those that did vote PTP did so in the belief they would be thrown crumbs from the devil's table.

I do believe the army needn't bother getting involved in this, other than to help out where Bangkok's finest police force are failing in providing sufficient protection to the court judges against the so-called "pro-democracy" red mob.

Thaksin's push for amnesty will be a typical multi-pronged attack. The rally by the sponsored red clan is just one of these prongs. Others include Yingluck's recent speech, and PTP's attempts to "boycott" the constitutional court.

The prong that really concerns me is the one he has against Thailand's only genuine pro-democracy force over the past 40 years, and the one I personally believe we will soon see yet another strong re-emergence of;

The students.

I do believe the army needn't bother getting involved in this, other than to help out where Bangkok's finest police force are failing in providing sufficient protection to the court judges against the so-called "pro-democracy" red mob.

Thaksin's push for amnesty will be a typical multi-pronged attack. The rally by the sponsored red clan is just one of these prongs. Others include Yingluck's recent speech, and PTP's attempts to "boycott" the constitutional court.

The prong that really concerns me is the one he has against Thailand's only genuine pro-democracy force over the past 40 years, and the one I personally believe we will soon see yet another strong re-emergence of;

The students.

The students are too busy fighting and killing each other

Shouldn't the PM and her government also be concerned, and speak out against, pressure on the independence (such as it is) of the judicial-system from a pressure-group like this, or are their Skyped-instructions to let the Red-Shirts get on with it unhindered ?

Whatever happened to Fighting-for-Justice & No-Double-Standards ?

Or is there real concern about whether/what the Constitutional Court might rule ?

At least the bombs and grenades are not flying, yet ...

The PM has actually spoken out FOR the protests!

Of course, don't expect the PM to put any conditions on this protest,this is Big Brothers No Holds Barred Protest, Demands,so no controlled routes,no 20,000 plus police,no tear gas,no razor wire,just expect the police to hang around doing nothing, and no restraining the good old fashioned mob demands,just like Bangkok Burning.

There was a period after the coup when the courts, finally freed from the intimidation of the Thaksin regime, actually showed some independence. Now, with undoubtably the urging of Mr. Dubai, they are threatening the court. Thaksin continues to be the great cancer for this country.

Do you have one shred of proof or evidence about this? In any case, anyone can say anything about the courts, right....it's a democracy, right? Thaksin haters: broken record, broken record, broken record....but never a spit of truth.

never?
  • Like 1

"..........a person who had made his billions, but apparently wanted to help."

While I fuly agree with this statement, it should be considered more closely. Thaksin made his billions in a corrupt enterprise overcharging the Thai people in a new industry, stealing from the people of Thailand by millions of tiny amounts, and at the same time slowing the spread of mobile phone technology. Most Thais are unaware that his telecom monopoly was criminal in nature, and the concept is difficult to explain because they lack the basics.

But that he had stolen billions is no reason to believe his later actions were altruistic, quite the opposite.

Which brings us to "but apparently wanted to help" where the emphasis should definitely be on the "apparently". The rice pledging scam has always been exactly that, a scam. The B30 health scheme was unfunded and caused huge problems for the health system. That both were are widely believed to be paid from his own pocket is reason enough to be suspicious. And the political "awakening" of the poor was a bid to build a voter and, later, a militia base.

Thaksin's motivation is greed and a lust for power, and he recognises that a weak democracy is the perfect place to attain both.

The way he made his money is a tried and trusted template used by just about every large Thai Chinese business in Thailand.

If i remember, banking and agriculture liberalisation was also a requisite of the IMF bailout. How is that coming along?

While I fuly agree with this statement, it should be considered more closely. Thaksin made his billions in a corrupt enterprise overcharging the Thai people in a new industry, stealing from the people of Thailand by millions of tiny amounts, and at the same time slowing the spread of mobile phone technology. Most Thais are unaware that his telecom monopoly was criminal in nature, and the concept is difficult to explain because they lack the basics.

But that he had stolen billions is no reason to believe his later actions were altruistic, quite the opposite.

Which brings us to "but apparently wanted to help" where the emphasis should definitely be on the "apparently". The rice pledging scam has always been exactly that, a scam. The B30 health scheme was unfunded and caused huge problems for the health system. That both were are widely believed to be paid from his own pocket is reason enough to be suspicious. And the political "awakening" of the poor was a bid to build a voter and, later, a militia base.

Thaksin's motivation is greed and a lust for power, and he recognises that a weak democracy is the perfect place to attain both.

The way he made his money is a tried and trusted template used by just about every large Thai Chinese business in Thailand.

If i remember, banking and agriculture liberalisation was also a requisite of the IMF bailout. How is that coming along?

Just about every large Thai Chinese business in Thailand was based on a corrupt monopoly? I find that hard to believe.

But I am quite sure that the early payout of the IMF loan was so their conditions could be ignored and the oversight removed.

Just about every large Thai Chinese business in Thailand was based on a corrupt monopoly? I find that hard to believe.

But I am quite sure that the early payout of the IMF loan was so their conditions could be ignored and the oversight removed.

AIS was operating illegally? Street, did someone tell temasak?

Wow - that's an easy solution Rambo. Then all the ignorant NE Kwhai would forget the past 10 years, and revert back to a state of ignorance and servility.

For those who haven't cottoned on yet, the genie is out of the bottle, and ain't going back.

While Thaksin's natural demise (either politically, legally or medically) would certainly help settle the situation down a bit, his assassination (which you are advocating) would cause no end of problems in the short-medium term.

As an (I presume) Australian, you ought to hang your head in shame - both for your suggestion, and for watching too many cliched movies. . crazy.gif

Nah - lead poisoning - simple. Thai law is not going to do it and the fish stinks from the head down, take out the head and the PTP are basically clueless. It may not stop corruption but it will save quite a substantial amount I would think. After all, the head was responsible for multiple deaths and thus I would have no qualms in carrying out summary removal. Yes Australian - and a good shot.

• Like 1

does he still own ais,,,? remember he was deported from uk i think because he was unfit for purpose,and man city taken off him,,please correct me if im wrong,thanks

He no longer owns AIS.

He wasn't deported, he was denied further asylum in the UK as the Thai government had become a civilian one.

He was made a lifelong honorary club president during his term of ownership (I wonder whose idea that was!) and then the new Abu Dhabi owners made it their first act of business to remove him from this position as he was "inappropriate".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/10/manchester-city-thaksin-sacked

Edited by Pi Sek

Let's do the numbers. 200 reds. 500 B per day to show up.Total 100,000 B per day. Now it is day seven. Day seven = 700,000 B. Where are the funds coming from to pay these unemployed folks.

Let's do the numbers. 200 reds. 500 B per day to show up.Total 100,000 B per day. Now it is day seven. Day seven = 700,000 B. Where are the funds coming from to pay these unemployed folks.

The Thai budget created by the taxes of the employed folks

Well you have very little knowledge of business in Thailand then. Nearly every single big business is owned, part owned by the same group of families. Not always a bad thing, but does give a huge amount of commercial/political power to a small group.

Nice to see in this thread we are believing the IMF, contrary to other threads which have been positive about Thailand as blunderbuss.

Shouldn't the PM and her government also be concerned, and speak out against, pressure on the independence (such as it is) of the judicial-system from a pressure-group like this, or are their Skyped-instructions to let the Red-Shirts get on with it unhindered ?

Whatever happened to Fighting-for-Justice & No-Double-Standards ?

Or is there real concern about whether/what the Constitutional Court might rule ?

At least the bombs and grenades are not flying, yet ...

The PM has actually spoken out FOR the protests!

they are pro-government protesters.

So you think its ok for pro-government supporters to demonstrate and attempt to intimidate justice, but not ok for opponents of the government?

Ah, of course, the one party state 'democracy".