National Security Council Rejects B R N Demands At Peace Talks: Thai South

webfact

NSC rejects BRN demands at peace talks
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Thai authorities on Monday rejected demands by the southern Muslim separatists in their second round of talks, but both sides agreed to hold another meeting on June 13.

National Security Council secretary general Lt-General Paradorn Pattanatabut, who headed the Thai side in the dialogue with the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN), said that the demands raised by the group's liaison officer Hasan Taib were turned down by the authorities.

Paradorn, speaking to reporters after the meeting that lasted almost seven hours, said the Thai authorities would not agree whether to consider the demands by the BRN.

The five proposals were made on Sunday via a YouTube video message by key BRN leaders.

In the YouTube clip, Taib and another BRN leader Abdul Karim Khalib demanded that:

- Malaysia's role be upgraded to mediator in the ongoing peace dialogue, from merely facilitator as is currently the case,

- Only BRN-represented members take part in the process,

- Members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation or NGOs observe the next round of meetings,

- All suspects detained for terror attacks be released and all warrants revoked, and

- The BRN be recognised wholly as a liberator, not a separatist organisation.

Paradorn said on Monday that the Malaysian authorities insisted that they would still act as facilitator.

He also said the Thai side asked the BRN leaders taking part in the talk to make sure that their group's insurgency agents would end their violent attacks in the southern border region.

Both sides agreed to meet again on June 13, according to Paradorn.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-30

SOUTH CRISIS
Army chief rejects BRN demands, but says govt must decide

The Nation

30205104-01_big.jpg
File photo : Prayuth

BANGKOK: -- Army commander in chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha was yesterday dismissive of the five proposals made on Sunday via a YouTube video message by key leaders of Barasi Revolusi Nasional Coordinate (BRN) prior to today's meeting.

Prayuth said they were somewhat unacceptable but it was not for him to decide whether Thai authorities would comply with them.

"If you ask me whether they are acceptable, and if I say that they are not, everything is over, but don't write in news reports that it's me saying that it's over," he said, adding that it was the government and security authorities who would decide.

In a YouTube clip, BRN leaders Hasan Taib and Abdul Karim Khalib demanded that Malaysia's role be upgraded to mediator in the ongoing peace dialogue, from merely facilitator as is currently the case; only BRN-represented members take part in the process; members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation or NGOs observe the next round of meetings; all suspects detained for terror attacks be released and all warrants revoked; and the BRN be recognised wholly as a liberator, not a separatist organisation.

At yesterday's meeting, attended by 10 Thai representatives, a question was posed to the BRN members about the YouTube clip, which was in violation of earlier agreements about confidentiality of the agenda or proposals.

National Security Council secretary-general Paradorn Pattanathabutr said a proposal about Malaysia's role as mediator also violated the agreements.

Prayuth said he would not say publicly or officially that he would agree or disagree with the BRN proposals. "Anything I say would not be fruitful for the ongoing process. Please stop reporting about my stance [over the proposals]. Whatever answers I will give will never please you who ask me," he added.

The Army chief repeated Thai authorities' stance that anything to be done in the peace dialogue, or whatever policies are approved, must comply with the Constitution, and that he personally never wanted to recognise criminals and murderers.

The Deep South Watch, meanwhile, yesterday analysed that the five proposals had put the BRN and the insurgency in an advantage, by getting outside organisations involved, lifting its status as a legitimate organisation, and giving greater role to Malaysia, which is a stakeholder in the matter.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-30

I thought the PM was going to take charge personally, for finding a solution, to the resitive south. Maybe she can bring some, fill in the blank 'MOU' that she seems to favor so much.

Now she has a month and a half to get out of Dodge on another of her critial/successful International trips.