Uk; Ilr Or Flr

In that case, she will need another English certificate, that will please her, 555!

I suppose the biometric residence permit for FLR needs to posted after she applied in person or would it be produced on the day/ I need to be in Bangkok for the first week of May to sort out a teaching job before the new Thai school term starts, I was hoping that a FLR visa would be the same as the visa stamped in her passport.

Damn, that's awkward, she can apply in person on Friday 2nd May 2014, but it's the bank holiday on the Monday 5th May 2014.

You may sense from my writing thomasteve that I'm eager to return to Thailand, my wife is not so eager, but she is unwilling to put the hours in for LITUK/B1, she does put in 45 hours of cooking per week at work and also makes damn fine food at home too, aroi mak mak!

I think we underestimate how difficult it is to pass that LITUK test for someone who has not studied English before.

When I tried it some of the questions are obscure and seem totally irrelevant, so unless you have a good memory for

uninteresting dates and figures etc. it can be difficult to achieve the pass mark.

Some of the words used in the questions are also not in common daily use.

Even with the use of the Thai study book version (which is now out of date as the test handbook was revised earlier in the year) it became obvious to me that the ESOL option was going to be the only sure-fire solution.

They should have kept ESOL certification as an alternative (no longer valid after end of October) to the LITUK test or completely revise the test to make it more appropriate using a more limited vocabulary.

It's now Monday 9th September and no progress has been made, in fact LITUK learning has merely disappeared and has been forgotten! She will now apply for FLR in the 2nd week of May 2014, although that will require me to be present in the UK, that is 50/50 at the moment if I will be.

The carrot and stick of a British passport only works if the learner is prepared to learn, unfortunately in this case, the learner does not want to learn and teacher has better things to do in life than to be bored and cold!

whistling.gif

Why don't you say no job no money?

For a "so-called" English teacher you don't inspire much confidence.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

Maybe some time back in BKK living and working will galvanize her into learning, the lower wages should help in this matter, for me the wages will be roughly the same, so no great loss working in Thailand again.

How long is your planning on staying in BKK?

dam_n, that's awkward, she can apply in person on Friday 2nd May 2014, but it's the bank holiday on the Monday 5th May 2014.

That's assuming your wife manages to bag an appointment for that very day. Not so easy.

Another downside of FLR is the false comfort it can inspire. There's no rush to do anything for another two years for some, is there?

Maybe some time back in BKK living and working will galvanize her into learning, the lower wages should help in this matter, for me the wages will be roughly the same, so no great loss working in Thailand again.

How long is your planning on staying in BKK?

dam_n, that's awkward, she can apply in person on Friday 2nd May 2014, but it's the bank holiday on the Monday 5th May 2014.

That's assuming your wife manages to bag an appointment for that very day. Not so easy.

Another downside of FLR is the false comfort it can inspire. There's no rush to do anything for another two years for some, is there?

9 to 12 months, it all depends on what type of jobs we get, but 12 months maximum. I have some good friends who live and work in Bangkok, plus another old friend who lives in Melbourne, so I want to head out to Australia next year too, it will be easier and less flying time to do it from Bangkok.

Today is a prime example of why learning is difficult for my wife, today she started work at 7.30am and finished at 5.30pm, she didn't get home until 6.30pm, working 10 hours a day doesn't leave much time for studying.

9 to 12 months, it all depends on what type of jobs we get, but 12 months maximum.

So you are both planning to start from scratch with the next settlement visa?

Today is a prime example of why learning is difficult for my wife, today she started work at 7.30am and finished at 5.30pm, she didn't get home until 6.30pm, working 10 hours a day doesn't leave much time for studying.

Can't argue with that. Priorities change over time and I definitely wouldn't be studying after a twelve hour day with travelling.

Ultimately, it depends on what you both want.

9 to 12 months, it all depends on what type of jobs we get, but 12 months maximum.

Can't argue with that. Priorities change over time and I definitely wouldn't be studying after a twelve hour day with travelling.

Hmmm, I don't plan that far in advance, apply for FLR in May 2014 and take it from there. I just fancy doing something different, see a few more places in Thailand and SE Asia, getting a bit bored with my local pub...

Hmmm, I don't plan that far in advance, apply for FLR in May 2014 and take it from there. I just fancy doing something different, see a few more places in Thailand and SE Asia, getting a bit bored with my local pub...

My wife had 3 x FLR visas (6 years) looking after 3 children.

Speaking from experience, i know it's difficult and complicated.

Sooner rather than later with the ILR/Citizenship/Passport

All the best

CCC

I downloaded the Trinity graded examinations in spoken English pre-grading test parts 1 and 2 to see what level my wife's English is and she is level 2 which is A1 CEFR. I don't think it's possible to achieve B1 level and LITUK before the visa expiry date, but I've ordered three new books for GESE level 1-2, level 3-4 and level 5-6, she will be able to pass the A1 CEFR level and this will hopefully improve her understanding of English grammar.

FLR is the only option now and hopefully in 2 or 3 years time she will be at the level to pass B1 and LITUK.

I downloaded the Trinity graded examinations in spoken English pre-grading test parts 1 and 2 to see what level my wife's English is and she is level 2 which is A1 CEFR. I don't think it's possible to achieve B1 level and LITUK before the visa expiry date, but I've ordered three new books for GESE level 1-2, level 3-4 and level 5-6, she will be able to pass the A1 CEFR level and this will hopefully improve her understanding of English grammar.

FLR is the only option now and hopefully in 2 or 3 years time she will be at the level to pass B1 and LITUK.

How is she going to do that if you go on your travels?

RAZZ